Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Now what FDA Synthetic Oil for the Automag?

Now what FDA Synthetic Oil for the Automag?

Since KC Trouble Free is out the window, what oil to use for AGD now?

Since I've used KC Trouble Free I've NEVER replaced an o-ring, except for the level X bolt o-ring.
    4 guns, no troubles. (KC Trouble Free was FDA approved)

I've searched for "paintball" lube and everything is turning to pastes, gels, honeys, waxes, grease, thick glue etc....

I am looking for SYNTHETIC FDA oil / lube. I did a search on google for "Synthetic Food Grade Oil"
    http://www.kpg-industrial.com/produc...ood_grade_oil/
    http://www.le-inc.com/products.jsp?productID=98

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_108267596
    "Synthetic fluids and greases in machinery have been shown to prolong oil service life, reduce downtime, and better protect metal surfaces from corrosion and wear. They can withstand temperature extremes and can be tailored to specialized applications. Synthetic food grade lubricants have the additional benefit of being nontoxic to humans. Contamination from lubricants has been a problem for the food and beverage processing industry, where a major accident can result in a massive product recall headache, and damage a company's reputation"
    (Of course here they are talking about food processing machinery, but would this work in high pressure situations?)

What is your opinion on FDA Synthetic lube oil? Any Chemists out there? Tom?

Food grade sounds delicious.

Where I work we have air tools and compressors so I scrounged up some Amsoil PC ISO 46 SAE 20 oil. It seems to work fine but I find it a little thin. Wish we had the SAE 40 but beggers can't be choosers. The link just in case you need some info.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/pc-serie...essor-oils.php

Quote Originally Posted by Raven001
    Food grade sounds delicious.

Where I work we have air tools and compressors so I scrounged up some Amsoil PC ISO 46 SAE 20 oil. It seems to work fine but I find it a little thin. Wish we had the SAE 40 but beggers can't be choosers. The link just in case you need some info.

http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/pc-serie...essor-oils.php

Thanks for the post. That oil is less than $9.00 for a quart. Way cheaper than "paintball" brand oil. A quart should last forever!

SAE 40 you think would be better? I'm in a similar climate as you.
    Last edited by Mechanic79; 10-22-2007 at 03:33 PM.

I am not really sure. I found the SAE 20 was a little more fluid than the old Autolube that I was using and thought that maybe the 40 would be better. As far as the 20 weight goes, it is very slick. That it is also of no cost to me is also a plus. Even if it blows out quicker than the autolube, the quarts should last longer than I really need. Give the 20 a try unless you can find someone with the 40 who will let you test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic79
    Since KC Trouble Free is out the window, what oil to use for AGD now?
    What do you mean KC is "out the window"? Are they no longer in business. I am currently using it and like it a lot. I hope that is not the case.

Also, on the bottom of the Amsoil site there is a disclaimer: "they are also not recommended for use with poly carbonate plastic that is not metal covered, PVC plastic, butyl, ethylene-propylene and SBR rubber".

I thought paintball o-rings are similiar to butyl?

Crap....just read that they are out of business. How sad

Quote Originally Posted by georgeyew
    Also, on the bottom of the Amsoil site there is a disclaimer: "they are also not recommended for use with poly carbonate plastic that is not metal covered, PVC plastic, butyl, ethylene-propylene and SBR rubber".
    The compatibility statement is here .

Mag orings are PTFE and polyurethane, except for the black one on the Lvl 10 oring carrier which is Buna-N (or you can use Viton, they are pretty much the same for paintball).

KC was probably repackaged industrial lube, we just need to figure out which one it was or at least one that is closest.

Why does it need to be food grade? You get hungry at the field, or what? Start packin' some snacks, man...

Quote Originally Posted by ThePixelGuru
    Why does it need to be food grade? You get hungry at the field, or what? Start packin' some snacks, man...
    Yeah, for Kosher approved, tri-flow is kind of stinky.

I guess FDA approved is good in case a paste-eater gets hold of your marker lube.

That and the guys that sit in their car blowing lube through their markers and filling it up with aerosol.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFactor
    Where did you all read that KC is out of business?
    LuisV in the dealer section usually sells it. He says he can't get it any more. I can only find iisports on ebay selling lots of 10. no one else has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-TW
    Yeah, for Kosher approved, tri-flow is kind of stinky.

I guess FDA approved is good in case a paste-eater gets hold of your marker lube.

That and the guys that sit in their car blowing lube through their markers and filling it up with aerosol.
    Food grade oil I would guess is cleaner and not made from petroleum, which breaks down faster and leaves nasty residue.

Looks like the best choices found so far is the Tri-flow synthetic, Amsoil synthetic compressor lube, and I've found a vacuum pump mineral oil which is used with HVAC refrigeration pumps that's ultra clean and ultra expensive (per gallon).

Any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Mechanic79; 10-23-2007 at 06:53 PM.

one more place I've found:

http://www.tribology.com/food_ca.htm

Air Tool & Pneumatic Lubricating Oil
    Clear Color/Non-Freezing
    ATO-FG is formulated for use in all air operated equipment. This special lubricant absorbs moisture and condensation out of air systems - up to 10% of its own weight, as it lubricates. This important feature helps eliminate rust and corrosion and equipment seizure.

ATO-FG eliminates that possibility of product contamination anywhere air operated equipment serves production, (i.e., packaging machinery).

• Sponges out air system moisture and condensation
    • No gum or varnish deposits
    • Cleans as it lubricates
    • Eliminates equipment and part seizures.
    • Anti-wear properties
    • ISO 32 SAE 10
    • Additional ISO grades available
    • ATO-FG PTFE fortified available (Specify ATO-FG/TEF)

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFactor
    Where did you all read that KC is out of business?
    The website is no longer there

Gold Cup/AutoLube has always worked well for me, it's cheap and readily available. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Gold Cup/AutoLube has always worked well for me, it's cheap and readily available. What's not to like?
    I've had to replace O-rings using that stuff. Not that it's bad but there are much better alternatives.
    ...now to find them.

I use Break-Free and i really like that. Seems to hold up and is slick as all hell.

Madmox

http://www.botachtactical.com/breakfree.html

im going to school for HVAC and that oil you are talking about basiclly wont break down untill it has been heated over 300*f. It is the oil that flows around in a refrigeration system with the refrigerant, also lubricates the cylinder walls, crankshaft and pistons. Ive seen a special oil made for pneumatic nailguns called "everlast" it comes in a large plastic needle, and they say extends the life of your o-rings by 40%.

IIRC, Dan said AKA lube is pre-additive transmission fluid. I also seem to remember you need some sort of dealer's certificate to acquire it. Palmer's lube is also good. I just use plain old synthetic air tool oil from Lowe's or Home Depot.

custar

IF I use gun oil, it's Hoppes 9 or Gold Cup. But usually I use extra virgin olive oil. Works great.
    Autocockers are the greatest markers ever made.
    ~The greatest BACKUP markers to AUTOMAGS!!

Only temporary, get'n a new sig soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    But usually I use extra virgin olive oil. Works great.
    But is it FDA approved?

But is it FDA approved?
    I would assume so...

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    I would assume so...

Ok, lube must be FDA, customs, or Department of Agriculture approved.

Seriously though Lenny, what's the longest you have left an application of olive oil sitting and did it show any signs of gumming up?

lube can be SAE too i believe, not sure though

Ok, lube must be FDA, customs, or Department of Agriculture approved.

Seriously though Lenny, what's the longest you have left an application of olive oil sitting and did it show any signs of gumming up?
    I clean my gun after every day of play, and shoot 4 drops in the ASA before every day of play. No idea how long it'll take to gum up, but it works well in summer and winter.

I got the idea from a thread here in the tech section a while ago (maybe a year or so?)
    Do a search for more info. I can't remember everything that was in it.

But yeah, extra virgin olive oil. Cheap, can buy in bulk, and it works.

Well an automag has probably more in common with pneumatic jack hammer then most paintball markers. I use craftsman airtool oil or any air tool oil. It works great.

-Barry

is kc trouble free off the market now? good thing i stocked up...

Hmmmmm. THe website is down..but here's some contact information

Kermode Concepts
    Private Company, Headquarters Location
    PO Box 886, Boulder Creek, CA, United States
    (831)338-4555, (831)338-4555 fax, http://www.kercon.com
    I went like this
    He went like this then like this then like this
    Now he shoots a Mag too...

-JR

Red Line Synthetic

And another....

This is the stuff I'm going to try. This sounds the closest (perhaps even better) to KC Trouble Free!

http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/i...ROD&ProdID=312

4 oz for $4.10 plus shipping.

Super Lube Air Tool Oil 12004 Is A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant. A Blend Of Rust And Corrosion Inhibitors And A Special Base Fluid Oil Minimizes Tool Wear. 4 oz bottle. NSF® Registered

Super Lube Air Tool Oil 12004 is formulated to meet the special requirements found in industrial and agricultural air line lubricants. A blend of rust and corrosion inhibitors and a special base fluid oil minimizes tool wear and allows operation of air tools at temperatures as low as -40F. 4 oz bottle.

I came accross this while searching for the VI index for paintball oil. Not recommending it or anything but just funny that someone else has come out with an oil "just for paintball markers".

http://www.slip2000.com/paintball.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic79
    This is the stuff I'm going to try. This sounds the closest (perhaps even better) to KC Trouble Free!

http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com/i...ROD&ProdID=312

4 oz for $4.10 plus shipping.
    If you do try out the lube, please let us know what you think. If it is good, I may switch to it as well.

Food grade - Fda regulates what times of things that factories can use to oil their equipment and belts that fall in the range of food contact surfaces, ie at sara lee bread where i used to work.

Food grade - means not deadly or will not cause any bad things if accidentally ingested.

However i wouldnt down a bottle either.