Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now what FDA Synthetic Oil for the Automag?

Just received the last 16oz bottle of oil today from their ebay auction.

http://www.aaaindustrialsupply.com search for super lube synthetic

Super Lube Air Tool Oil 12004- 305005
    Super Lube Air Tool Oil 12004 Is A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant. A Blend Of Rust And Corrosion Inhibitors And A Special Base Fluid Oil Minimizes Tool Wear. 4 oz bottle. NSF® Registered.

They answered my questions fast and shipped fast.

My first observation. This stuff is clear, seems a touch heavier/greasier than the blue KC Troublefree. (I do have about 1/8 bottle left).

My opinion and mine alone. Not scientific what-so-ever, I put a couple drops of each oil seperately on my thumb then rubbed it around with my forefinger. I noticed the KC Trouble free didn't feel as greasy/heavy. I continued to rub as I washed them off with plain tap water. Both seemed to wash off the same.

Next I will try them in an Emag and RT PRO and post later.

(FYI: I don't work for any of these companies. I'm not recommending anyone else to try them. I'm simply looking for an alternate solution of KC Trouble Free for myself.)

Thanks for the posts and input everyone!
    Last edited by Mechanic79; 11-02-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic79
    My first observation. This stuff is clear, seems a touch heavier/greasier than the blue KC Troublefree.
    The thicker consistency might help it cling to the internal parts better. I hope the test turn out well.

UPDATE: I've since tried it in an Emag valve, Tuna valve, RT PRO valve, X-valve, and Autococker. with no issues.

UPDATE: I've since tried it in an Emag valve, Tuna valve, RT PRO valve, X-valve, and Autococker. with no issues.
    Great. I am assuming that there's no visible wear on the o-rings and such?

Quote Originally Posted by georgeyew
    Great. I am assuming that there's no visible wear on the o-rings and such?
    I don't know how much wear 400+ dry fires would cause.

KC Trouble Free FDA approved synthetic oil (I've used for years with thousands of cycles. still orig. orings)
    Super Lube Air Tool FDA approved synthetic Oil (used 400 dry fires in each with the same orig. orings from above.)

Well, both oils are FDA approved synthetic. I don't think there is too much difference. perhaps viscosity? Compared to synthetic oils that use petroleum, which is an irritant. Lubes like Gold Cup and Autolube, and other air tool oils I've seen at local hardware stores use petroleum.

Just an update

Just an update,

Still no signs of wear. This stuff seems to be working just like the late KC Trouble Free.

I've went through 3 scuba tanks of air and no issues.

Just an update,

Still no signs of wear. This stuff seems to be working just like the late KC Trouble Free.

I've went through 3 scuba tanks of air and no issues.
    Thanks for the update. I was just thinking about the thread a few days ago.

I'll have to try it. I used the super lube grease for static orings all the time until I needed some Dow 55 and bought the big tube.

The answer is mineral oil. It's actually the base for MANY types of lubes currently or previously available.

Vegetable oil would work, but I wouldn't use it.

If you want an industry-specific solution, I believe PMI marker oil is mineral oil with some kind of silicone additive.

I use synthetic shock oil that is for motercycles. No failures so far.

What are people using these days? I still see KC for sale out on ebay, is that still the best option?

I been using Tri-flow for the last 5 yrs. 2 of those years my guns were in storage. I pulled them apart and was expecting a nasty dried up oily mess but everything was clean. O'Rings were all in great shape and didn't have to replace a single one. Highly recommend it.

Still using Super Lube Air Tool oil in (my and friends) automags , Borg bolt o-rings, Ego, Autococker.
    No issues, never replaced an oring so far. many cases of paint have thrown over the years.

I bought some of the Superlube Oil with PTFE and have been using it for the past year. It seems to be working well with the Mags and Tippmanns. I do have some older KC bottles that I may use up first.

I've been playing with both the SL air tool oil and the PTFE blend, since we started this. I've never had a problem on the field with either one, but sometimes it seems like the PTFE oil sets up a tiny bit sticky after a month or so. I'm not sure about that and have even run it through a 2k5 timmy from the ASA without trouble. The PTFE blend just seems thicker after sitting for a while. It may be my imagination.

I use the air tool oil in my SMAC mag with the little SMC noid.

I have only used Super Lube Air Tool and it has worked wonders. I quit playing in 2001 and came back a few months ago. Super Lube Air is all that I had ever used. My mag sat around for nearly 8 years. When I took it out to shoot it, everything was still clean and lubed like I had just done it a day ago.

This lube is definitely the best stuff out there.
    Last edited by Jbcraig1883@gmail.com; 07-07-2009 at 05:34 PM.

No, it's not your imagination. It is thicker/stickier. I like it because it will stay on the metal surfaces and orings longer than the other oils. I don't think that the extra stickiness will increase the friction by much, especially with the PTFE.

No, it's not your imagination. It is thicker/stickier. I like it because it will stay on the metal surfaces and orings longer than the other oils. I don't think that the extra stickiness will increase the friction by much, especially with the PTFE.
    Yeah, I've never caught it sticking in the field. I like the thickness for the level 10 too.

We probably want a heavy weight oil. The mag's oil needs are kind of like yours and mine are for water, except you want it to stay where it is once you've lubed it. But we don't want it in the barrel.

Right? Actually, why is a good quality paste/grease lube not recommend in the mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Newt
    Actually, why is a good quality paste/grease lube not recommend in the mag?
    Too much of a pain to take off the power tube tip to lube the oring everytime. And using lube, it would be hard to get to all the tiny areas in the valve. The mag is suppose to be a low maintenace "oil it and forget it" type marker.

coolata lube from dunkin donuts my friend used to use in all his guns LOL i use goldcup for about 15 years i think

Sounds like the Super Lube is the way to go. Any reason to with the one over the other?

Super Lube Air Tool Oil 12004 Is A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant. A Blend Of Rust And Corrosion Inhibitors And A Special Base Fluid Oil Minimizes Tool Wear. 4 oz bottle.

VS.

Super Lube Oil With PTFE Teflon 51004 Is Non-Toxic And A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant. A Premium Synthetic Oil With Suspended PTFE Particles That Bond To Surfaces To Add Lubricity To Moving Parts. Waterproof. 4 oz bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by jtamm
    Sounds like the Super Lube is the way to go. Any reason to with the one over the other?

Super Lube Air Tool Oil 12004 Is A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant. A Blend Of Rust And Corrosion Inhibitors And A Special Base Fluid Oil Minimizes Tool Wear. 4 oz bottle.

VS.

Super Lube Oil With PTFE Teflon 51004 Is Non-Toxic And A USDA Listed H1 Food Grade Lubricant. A Premium Synthetic Oil With Suspended PTFE Particles That Bond To Surfaces To Add Lubricity To Moving Parts. Waterproof. 4 oz bottle.
    The teflon one is usually easier to find since it shows up around the local hardware stores. I had to order the air tool oil. There's not a lot of difference, but I think the teflon variety is a little more sticky and seems to be able to string out a level 10 oring longer before it starts to leak. I like the air tool oil for markers with solenoid valves or pneumatics since it likes to creep more.

I think we can say they both work without any problems.

I contacted Superlube about their oils before I purchasing. All of their base oils/greases are the same. The some of the main differences between the products are the viscosity and additives. So essentially, the only difference between the air tool oil and the oil with PTFE is the thickness and the addition of PTFE (maybe a few other minor things).

I grew up in the 80's believing that a PTFE coating is slicker than hell and will make things last longer. So that's why I use the oil with PTFE.

In a slight bind. The Super Lube I ordered isn't going to show up in time for a game tomorrow. I don't have a whole lot of options for paintball stores. So I may end going to Lowes and getting:

Kobalt
    Synthetic Air Compressor Oil

16 oz. bottle
    Non-detergent, single viscosity oil
    High quality 30 weight
    Provides proper mixture to keep your air compressor at its best quality performance

Hopefully this would work?

I also have a Home Depot, Menards, and Ace near me if those stores had other options.

For one day? I wouldn't worry about it! Even a week! But I'm sure someone could lend 4 drops of gun oil at the field!

Quote Originally Posted by jtamm
    In a slight bind. The Super Lube I ordered isn't going to show up in time for a game tomorrow. I don't have a whole lot of options for paintball stores. So I may end going to Lowes and getting:

Kobalt
    Synthetic Air Compressor Oil

16 oz. bottle
    Non-detergent, single viscosity oil
    High quality 30 weight
    Provides proper mixture to keep your air compressor at its best quality performance

Hopefully this would work?

I also have a Home Depot, Menards, and Ace near me if those stores had other options.

Just got the gun and there is a leak in the valve. I'm hoping oiling it fixes the problem. Wanted to get the all issues sorted out before hitting the field.

I think that ACE carries SuperLube.

I think that ACE carries SuperLube.
    Mine does.

I use Tech 2000 airtool oil fom Wally World.
    it was $1.00 for 500ml and not an ounce of trouble with anything,
    PPS, AGD, Tippmann, Iwata, Paché, Badger, Snap-On all working great.
    I also like the blue nail polish from PPS

of course you could just dip your gun
    in the Frier at KFC if "Food Grade Oil"
    is really what your after....