Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiberius Sniper Rounds, Info from TK

Tiberius Sniper Rounds, Info from TK

All,

Tiberius has just introduced their "Sniper Rounds" and there is a lot of discussion on the forums. Just to set things straight, here is the scoop:

They are made by Perfect Circle the same company that makes the FN303 rounds.

They are marketed by Tiberius.

They are spin stabilized just like the FN303 with the fins

They weigh 3 grams like a regular paintball (the 303 projectiles weigh 8 grams)

Thousands of rounds have been shot in development at PCP.

They are easily as accurate as the heavier 303 rounds and we think this is because they have more aggressive fins that make them spin up faster out of the barrel. I heard some incredible accuracy numbers from the tests, but since I have not shot them myself, I don't want to say anything.

The front of the paintball breaks, the backs generally don't.

The back end is completely hollow, this is where we save the weight.

They can be loaded backwards down the barrel if you want to use them in a regular marker.

Tiberius is working on a clip fed conversion kit for their markers, from what I understand this includes a barrel and clip replacement.

I believe the price will be less than a buck each.

This info comes from my partner who is running PCP but since I am in AZ now, I am not there to see what exactly is going on.

AGD

Just to add to your post.

Sniper round eh.. does it fly farther?

I am very skeptical

At a 45 degree angle, it is advertised at 500ft compared to 300ft with conventional paint.

Quote Originally Posted by michbich
    At a 45 degree angle, it is advertised at 500ft compared to 300ft with conventional paint.
    so I can lob a dollar 500 feet instead of lobbing 3 cents 300 feet?

yeah ill probably be sticking with regular paint. But they would be neat to try out none the less!

Quote Originally Posted by mostpeople
    so I can lob a dollar 500 feet instead of lobbing 3 cents 300 feet?
    haha good point

Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Not sure if it will become very popular though.
    you can't just drop all these in a hopper and go shoot.

So maybe allot better for ''law enforcement training''.
    Which is probably the reason they created this in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    Tiberius is working on a clip fed conversion kit for their markers, from what I understand this includes a barrel and clip replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundown
    Looking forward to seeing how this develops. Not sure if it will become very popular though. you can't just drop all these in a hopper and go shoot.

So maybe allot better for ''law enforcement training''.
    Which is probably the reason they created this in the first place
    More than likely it's Tiberius trying to stave off the New Tippmann pistol marker coming out with the cheaper clips and a slimmer handle grip.

hmmmm, id love to see one of these in action

Probably more geared towards law enforcement training.

imagine TA will come out wiht a "ultimate sniper" configuration of the T9 platform or something to go along with these.

Imagine pullin out a T9 pistol and gogging someone at 400+ feet - think they might pull you and check to see if you are hot

Styg
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

A dollar a round is expensive but you have to figure that are at the begining of their development cycle with lower production numbers. If they took off in a big way economies of scale should bring the price down. How much did paintballs cost per round when they first came out? Heck if it is extermely accurate in the long run would could save money shooting these balls. At 50 a case for cheap paint you are looking at 2.5 cents a ball. At 13 balls a second you are shooting 32 cents a second. If you can pop a guy in two or three tiberous rounds as opposed to dumping a pod, how much do you lose?

I'm sure that some scenario guys with their sniper get up would love to try this. My concern is that it appears to have sarificed paint volume for weight reduction? How well does it mark.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    Probably more geared towards law enforcement training.
    Definately. My dad is a detective, and he talks to me alot about pepperballs and other less - lethal projectiles. I just find it un - conventional to go to the spring - fed magazine; whereas it is a hell of a lot easier loading your hopper. (Especically on how much paint the average player uses). I think they would kick*** in stock-class play though

I can also see a use for scenario play , those who like to get all geared up in ghille suits and pump guns would probably find the extra range and accuracy a big bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Coralis
    I can also see a use for scenario play , those who like to get all geared up in ghille suits and pump guns would probably find the extra range and accuracy a big bonus.

scenarios are always FPO though.

not 100% true... some scenarios around my hometown in MA are BYOP

This is very interesting. I had been contemplating getting a tib pistol simply because I like to run around alot in scenario games and the lighter the load, the better. An actual accurate shot would be extremely useful for those of us who like to travel light, or even commanders in those big games. the main thing abut these, is that most places only allow field paint, so it might be useless anywhere but for rec play. Also, how does the impact of the bolt effect the fins, and how can they be shot normally by putting them in backwards? Still too many questions and I'm sure they will be answered in time. Still, a very interesting concept that I hope to see more about!

Thanks for answering some questions I had about this.
    Does anyone know if these are plastic, or gel? The 303
    rounds are made out of plastic for those not aware of it.

Sincerely,

This may be a dumb question but what are the casing and fins made out of?

Quote Originally Posted by mostpeople
    Sniper round eh.. does it fly farther?

I am very skeptical
    According to Gary Gibson from Perfect Circle Paintball, you can expect to have one shot eliminations at 150 feet.

There's a video interview of him talking about the new projectiles in the Paintball Extravaganza episode of PigTV at http://www.PigTV.net.

I would disagree with the claim that this is the first sniper round, as there were paintballs with coned back ends with fins glued to them marketed many years ago as muzzle-loaded sniper rounds. This does look like the first *practical* sniper round though, as there already exist markers capable of magazine feeding them (albeit for LEO use at higher velocities) and we should see retrofit kits to allow them to be magazine fed in all of the Tiberius markers within a month.

Computer / Paintball geek
    Technical Editor, World And Regional Paintball Information Guide - http://www.WARPIG.com
    Producer, Paintball Television - http://www.PigTV.net
    Paintball, Motocross trail riding, SCUBA, climbing, surfing, R/C aircraft, fun stuff...

UMS Info

This is info from my Sponsor who has good relationship with Tiberius and who just attended the Atlanta Trade show

"it's here. It does exist. I'm bringing several tubes of 8 home with me.

It's related to an already established LTL round/system.

Tiberius is offering it as a retrofit upgrade for any Tiberius 8 or 9.

Pricing will be under $200 (prob around $150). The new First Strike will also allow you to use regular paint in addition to the First Strike rounds.

The FS rounds are plastic shelled that are photo/bio degradable.

Fields will be carrying the rounds soon as well as the fields field paint. There are prob a lot of fields that will waive the FPO rule for these since they will be a specialty item and much narrower spectrum than round paint.

Pricing will be "high", but not bad. It cost a lot to develop/manufacture, but once you figure out a general shots/kill and shots/accuracy ratio, they are actually a great value for a lot of us heavy triggers
    Pricing is tentatively set at $5.95/8 rounds ($.75 ea)

IMHO I think they will have a very significant impact on our sport.
    I personally plan on running/gunning with the First Strike system as my primary.

FYI: The general designs have been drawn, parts and materials have already been ordered. Underground Mod Shop will have an exclusive short run "signature series" available est around two months out. They will be "substantial" on the grand scale of overall coolness, not just the PCS (paintball cool scale)(tm ums)"

Also I bet you can talk a field owner to wave FPO for a small fee for this round only. They can not be shot from a hopper so you are really not talking about a round that will cost him most of his paint sales.

Swamp
    Last edited by Swamp Thing; 02-08-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: put in quote markes

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing
    I personally plan on running/gunning with the First Strike system as my primary.
    Full steam ahead on the failboat!
    Last edited by Beemer; 02-08-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    lol.

This is a good idea, but paintballs dont go fast enough to make this a GREAT option.

I will try it before making a final decision, but IMO it would be hard to make it better than what we have already. I can already shoot someone 40 ft away on the first/second shot.

Very interesting. I always thought increasing the spin rate might work but couldn't get manike to try it.

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

While this is novel and interesting, I see this as setting paintball back about 20 years. Back to stripper clips. Time to update the SMG 60's to 68 cal? I can see Tippman salivating over this, or calling the patent lawyers getting ready to use the SMG-60 as prior art.

Veritas Tactical T-4

Denver police are stocking up on guns that fire a pepper spray-like substance instead of bullets - a less-lethal weapon used to disperse crowds - in advance of the Democratic National Convention.

The department recently ordered 88 Mark IV launchers and projectiles at a cost “in the low six figures,” the company that makes the weapons stated in a news release Monday.

The request was for delivery in advance of the DNC, according to Louisville- based Security With Advanced Technology Inc.

The convention, scheduled for Aug. 25 to 28 at the Pepsi Center, is expected to draw thousands of protesters to sites throughout Denver.

these things would be a pumpers dream if you had a mag fed pump
    2k2 Angel LCD
    turbo trigger
    CP volumizer
    PIPE KIT

2k Angel CnC LCD
    Vert Frame
    Freak Barrel

B2k x-milled
    micro rock
    Dye sticky 3's
    vertical max-flo
    Edge barrel with blue J&J tip

Egg 2 y board
    Empire Reloader
    Dye Throttle 91/4500
    Crossfire 114ci/3000
    Angel Air Reg

Cool idea. I need to pick me up some of those.

Looks about right.

BTW, Hi Tom...good to know your still kicking.

I had the booth opposite Tiberius at the Paintball Extravaganza to show off the Prophecy loader, I recognized Gary, even though I hadn't seen him probably since 1997! It took him a few seconds then he recognized me too.

We talked through the projectiles and I am very excited to see these hit the market. I'll be working on my FN303 to get the velocity down then I'll shoot some and do a video. Tyler promised me a kit for my Tiberius 8 too. I can't wait.

Thanks to Gary and Tyler for giving me some of the projectiles to test out. I'm really looking forward to it.

Accuracy I believe, and at that cost, clips make sense. It's a minie ball vs a regular ball.

With the back being hollow, I would think they could redesign the fins a little to reduce the wash on the back and give the airflow a little more taper. Those fins look almost the same as the FN303 rounds.