Thread: Best way to seal an air leak?

Best way to seal an air leak?

I have a slow leak on the tank pressure gauge on my max flo regulator. I dipped it in water to confirm that it is leaking around the threads.
    The threads look good but I can't get it to stop leaking. I have tried locktight and a couple tries with plumber's tape with no luck. What would be the best way to get it to stop leaking?

If I’m reading this right it’s an inline regulator? If so you’re on the right track with the teflon tape. I NEVER use locktite it’s a paint in the *** if you ever need to take whatever you glued together off. Just disconnect it from your air source, use a pair of vice grips (if you don’t have a strap wrench) and a towel (so you don’t scratch your gauge) and twist it off, then put teflon tape on the gauges threads. Make sure you twist teflon tape clockwise around the threads so when you screw the gauge back into the regulator it doesn’t just pull the tape off.

This might help:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W8t7CVk-zU

I don't know why but I allways use 7 wraps of teflon tape , the thing about pipe threads is they are a tapered thread , if you screw something in TOO tight , the next time you screw something in that hole it may not seal

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    2-3 wraps of teflon tape is what is suggested

I find that teflon pipe sealant (paste type) will often work where tape keeps failing. It doesn't harden and comes in different grades. I just use the common steam/water/natural gas stuff, but there's industrial grades that do better.

Thanks, I will look for the paste. I have tried up to three wraps with tape and it would cause the leak to be very slow (a full tank leak out would take about 2 days), but just knowing it is leaking is irritating.

It is a removable regulator so taking it off and working on it isn't a problem.