Thread: Who can strip nickel plating and re-anno my Micromag?

Who can strip nickel plating and re-anno my Micromag?

So I've got a Micro2000 and it's in tough shape. The body itself is beautiful but the "Ultra Nickel" finish is chipped (not my doing) and looks brushed to a dull finish.

Is there anybody out there who can strip the nickel plating, polish it up, and re-anno it? Maybe even install a clamping feedneck?

herm beadblast it maybe ? find a small piece thats in the same condition and try it out maybe ?

the difficult thing about nickel is that there are a few different processes by which parts are coated in it, if it happens to be electroless nickel, then it is probably the worst thing ever to try to strip, takes FOREVER, as the chemicals just have to work on their own, but if its been electroplated nickel...generally the closest to chrome without being chrome...comes off in a snap, this is what the "chrome" ULE bodies are done in, that and fast copper, but that layer comes off with little effort.

Bead blasting will not take the layer off, it will only make the marker ugly, or possibly damage the body "permanently" if you turn the pressure up to attempt to get the layer off.

sponge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sumthinwicked
    herm beadblast it maybe ? find a small piece thats in the same condition and try it out maybe ?
    I've got some small matching parts that are beyond repair...

Quote Originally Posted by BAZOOKA_Boy
    the difficult thing about nickel is that there are a few different processes by which parts are coated in it, if it happens to be electroless nickel, then it is probably the worst thing ever to try to strip, takes FOREVER, as the chemicals just have to work on their own, but if its been electroplated nickel...generally the closest to chrome without being chrome...comes off in a snap, this is what the "chrome" ULE bodies are done in, that and fast copper, but that layer comes off with little effort.

Bead blasting will not take the layer off, it will only make the marker ugly, or possibly damage the body "permanently" if you turn the pressure up to attempt to get the layer off.
    Tracy PTP might know what nickel process was used. I'll ask her. As far as ugliness goes, it's pretty far along already...

sponge ?
    Toothbrush?

sponge is a blast style

sponge is a blast style
    Oh. Cool, I'll look into it.

I was kinda hoping one of the anodizers that's big would be able to do it, but it looks like ODD and Gruntbull are both "down" for renovations of some kind, 125 doesn't do the pattern I want, and I really dislike "anodizemymarker.com" or whatever it is they've changed their name to.

bazooka does nice work the fool does nice work im not sure who i want to do my next toy

bazooka does nice work the fool does nice work im not sure who i want to do my next toy
    Hmmm, well maybe I'll look into having the finish stripped separately and try them out. Does anybody do sponge jobs anymore? I was thinking base red / black.

Wow, just for future notice GBA (Gruntbull Anodizing) does strip nickel plating. I'm having the body and foregrip done in a 2-color gloss acid wash and it's only $110 including stripping

thats a lot!

I would have been able to do it, but my shop is destroyed, the winter snow crushed my work area, so everything is all in disaray, and some of it is not even functioning currently...but eventually I will get it all up and running, hopefully sooner than later.

thats a lot!

I would have been able to do it, but my shop is destroyed, the winter snow crushed my work area, so everything is all in disaray, and some of it is not even functioning currently...but eventually I will get it all up and running, hopefully sooner than later.
    Aw. Well I like your work a lot, and I'd be willing to wait if you could do $110 for nickel stripping an then a red/black gloss acidwash on a body and foregrip

yea his work rox i want him to do some to LOL

I have used Bazooka Boy and The Fool. I was very pleased with both of their work. Since Bazooka Boy is under repairs right now, try The Fool. He might be able to help you out. Good luck!!

I do believe the fool knows how to strip the nickel, if not, I can tell him, its pretty straight forward, a little dangerous to your health, but other than that, no biggie!

I will probably be quite a while fizzle, after I fix the shop, I have to find time, as I am working graveyard now, and have almost no time to work outside of the house. My shop is at my parents home, about 30minutes away, and with a wife and baby, things get hectic when looking for time, but I will keep you posted if things change soon!

BTW, 2 parts, would be much less than $110, so you know.

I do believe the fool knows how to strip the nickel, if not, I can tell him, its pretty straight forward, a little dangerous to your health, but other than that, no biggie!

I will probably be quite a while fizzle, after I fix the shop, I have to find time, as I am working graveyard now, and have almost no time to work outside of the house. My shop is at my parents home, about 30minutes away, and with a wife and baby, things get hectic when looking for time, but I will keep you posted if things change soon!

I have 2 parts that I only trust you to do Blake.

So until you return they will sit. Sad and ugly. Waiting for their glory day in the hot sun.

Oh man... I might just hold out for you. Saves me money and frankly I've got other projects to focus on.