Thread: Classic valve pressure spike at first shot

Classic valve pressure spike at first shot

Well i thought it would be a nice idea to bring out this little hottie out to play again:

Haven't played with it since i got it, and the last owner tucked it away in some closet 15 years ago. Well it seemed to run fine but at the field today untill somebody noticed it leaked out of the rear velocity adjuster. The gun works fine, but the first shot is hot. Do i only have to replace the reg seat o-ring, or are there other things i should look at?

Btw i was amazed at the accuracy that the stock barrel had...

Thanks!

If the gun shoots hot for the first shot, replace the regulator seat. Make sure to run a couple of drops of lube into your gun, it really makes a difference. You have to turn the velocity down if the gun is leaking out the back. If you are still experiencing some more velocity issues, take out the reg piston, clean it thoroughly, and lube it.

Quote Originally Posted by FiXeL
    Well i thought it would be a nice idea to bring out this little hottie out to play again:

Haven't played with it since i got it, and the last owner tucked it away in some closet 15 years ago. Well it seemed to run fine but at the field today untill somebody noticed it leaked out of the rear velocity adjuster. The gun works fine, but the first shot is hot. Do i only have to replace the reg seat o-ring, or are there other things i should look at?

Btw i was amazed at the accuracy that the stock barrel had...

Thanks!
    .You should install a complete parts kit. If it has been sitting for that long, I am sure the orings will fail soon if not already. and measure the on/off pin. Write it down so you can remember what it was when working. Probably around .670 or so.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Thanks for all the input! I've replaced the reg seat o-ring for a new one, but it's still creeping up in pressure... When i gas up and shoot it works ok, but after sitting for a moment there's a small leak coming out of the rear velocity adjuster. (most likely the overpressure valve bleeding the pressure)

I'm going to clean out the regulator part, and if the problem persists, i'll replace parts. Fortunatly i have everything at hand for a full valve rebuild.

Check and clean the face of the reg pin and seal seat too.

Thanks!

I'll have a good look at her tomorrow, good clean and a valve rebuild should do the trick i hope...

Don't use an aftermarket regulator seat oring. I had problems once when I did. I ended throughing the whole batch of aftermarket orings away. They couldn't be trusted.

Dirt is the biggest culprit in an automag. Make sure the valve is fully cleaned. It will help solve most problems.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.