Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Miniature High Pressure Air Compressor for Tank Refills??

I'd be interested in one!
    Red/Black Freeflow Lotus Racegun
    Red/Black Acid BPS Twister Cocker
    Bright Black Y-Grip/Warp ULE Mag
    Blue 99 Dark Angel w/Matching Accessories
    Matte Black Stock Class Sniper 2
    Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread....&threadid=94972

2. Get it around the 250 price point and assuming its quality I would probably buy one.

After all I have almost that much in a single hopper.
    Last edited by AzrealDarkmoonZ; 10-19-2009 at 03:18 PM.

i would buy one, if the price range was under 300. i would use my scuba to fill and use the compressor to top it off with. i could see a very high demand for these since there r people out there that r no were near a field or scuba shop to get their air filled.

I would be all over this, esp if the price is under $300

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    I might be able to cut it down to 24 hours but probably not to 12 hours for an 80 cu inch tank. Each piston has a LOT of pressure on it during the compression stroke so the motor gets bigger quickly and things like heat build up come into play. Faster will always mean more expensive.

The other option is that I sell just the compressor without the motor. You hook up your own via a pulley and fan belt.

The components would have to be rebuildable with average hand tools. One of the big problems with high pressure compressors is the wear and tear.

The electrical consumption will be minimal. Something like a 100 watt light bulb.

AGD
    rather like the idea of the DIY motor,
    but what would the RPM need to be limited to?
    i mean I know where i can get a 10hp gas motor for $100.00CND
    so if i had a pump that i could just hook via belt...
    WOOHOO!!

Sounds good, sign me up.

This is a concern, people filling out of date tanks. Or people filling the wrong pressure bottle to 4500psi.

I think it is a great idea but there could be some safety concerns.

-cAyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I would LOVE to have something like this. it is a 40 min drive to civilization, and I hate doing it just to fill my tanks. Not to mention, they are currently out of hydro, so no one will fill them. I don't want to spend the money on an expensive way to fill them. I don't even want to spend the money on a scuba tank. But if I could spend less than $100 on a machine that will fill a tank, I wouldn't mind if it took all night to do it. Please build it...I will buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by caylegeorge
    This is a concern, people filling out of date tanks. Or people filling the wrong pressure bottle to 4500psi.

-cAyle
    My concern also, but if I had the money I would definitely pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by caylegeorge

-cAyle
    Sure there could be safety concerns, but so is running and diving around the woods with a 4500 psi bomb tucked beneath your shoulder.

What's the difference with someone who fills an out of hydro tank off of a scuba? The scuba shop isn't going to check to see if the HP tanks are in hydro, just the scuba tank. If the HP tank blows up, could they sue the scuba shop for filling the scuba tank? Of course not. I really don't see any legal issues Tom should be worried about with this product. If someone wants to risk their own lives by doing something with a tank they're not supposed to, then survival of the fittest (or smartest).

Keep up the good work Tom.

It is a great idea, at that price point size really wouldnt be an issue so making it bigger while not sacrificing price couldnt hurt at all.
    VV04962 yeah thats my Pewter CnC X-mag

Looking for a milled 04 featherlight viking!!!

my feedback!!!https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...84#post1584884

sounds like you have your answer TK
    if its under $300
    has an option to fill 3k or 4500
    and is relatively small (lunch box was the example i believe)
    people will buy it
    im in

Just wanted to say I think this is a fantastic idea and that I'd pay a good deal for the system as described.

I'd get one for sure. I'd also preffer to buy it all, ready to use from you, then trying to find, install and tune my own motor. And if you can provide an estimated MTBF for the main parts and some kind of parts kit, along with a good manual, that would be a hit!

I wish I had one right now.

Still in for under $300, and has the reliability/quality of other AGD products. Want it to come with motor though, I don't want to mess around with getting my own. Also, I'm curious who the 'we' is from Tom's first post. Who are you talking to about this? Zupe?

I always say "we" its just a habit. I am working on this by myself.

It would fill to 3000. Probably as an option because you would have to add a pressure switch to shut it off. Much faster too, probably overnight. Going from 4000-4500 will probably take as long as getting to 4k.

We are definitely talking lunch box size.

If you chain two (or more) tanks to it, it will fill two tanks!

I did look at converting a small gas engine but the numbers didn't work.

AGD

Was thinking that Tom, but didn't want to speak if it wasn't an option.

About the multiple tanks part. Guys if you chained 50 tanks together via fittings and hoses where they were all on the receiving end then the pump would fill as many as you could attach. I think the most feasible and logical though would be to run a T off of the whip and fill a max of 2 at a time.

Would take twice as long, but that's part of the deal.

DM

To fill a paintball tank in 12'ish hours? I would pay $600-$1000 for something like this. Depending on safety, reliability, and maintenance.

I currently have three scuba tanks. $100 (2250 psi), $100 (2250 psi), $360 (3500 psi)
    Plus a DIN to K adapter $60
    plus a fill station: $60
    plus filling each one = 7 each = $21
    plus driving to the scuba shop twice. Once to drop off and once to Pick up.
    plus yearly inspections along with 3-5 year hydro testing

I have a very good feeling about all of this

I cant wait to see this happen i will be all over it. great idea for those that tech markers at home where there field is a 3 hour drive round trip

Id be willing to donate my high pressure manual pump if it will help speed R&D along

I would be up for this as well. I don't get much of an opportunity to tinker like i used to with the wee little Doobette running around so it would be good to have a full tank ready when I need it. Someone said earlier that it is just a little more $$ than some hoppers after upgrades and they are right!
    The one thing that bothers me about the industry is that they have not switched over to different fill nipple sizes for 3k and 4.5K. A lot of accidents could be avoided in the long run and would make an "unsupervised" system like this dummy proof.

The gun is 1/8" of a game that is a FOOT long!
    (...but a 'mag helps)
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die...the in between is mine. -Eddie Vedder
    Sinister Sainthood

$250 range is a good deal for a product like this, and this product is a great idea with the market going to pump/outlaw/milsim.

The best use for this would be to fill a small SCUBA tank over a couple days and use that on Saturday. Could you include a storage tank as an optional accessory? Either way, I can see the SCUBA industry get interested in this little gem. They'll pay $250 for a freaking mask.

Anyway, AGD, your next project ought to be a small paint factory that puts out 2000 rounds in 20 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt
    Anyway, AGD, your next project ought to be a small paint factory that puts out 2000 rounds in 20 hours.
    and anything else that could make that one happen!

Is it conceivable to run a 3K version with a longer life expectancy? I see a lot of people (again going to the areas that don't have HPA readily available) using them to fill scuba tanks for "outlaw" fields.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess

I would deffinatley get one. Considering the price to go fill...price seems resonable.

Different Look

Lets say it cost 200-275. For me at my local shop that would mean between 50-70 tank fills. I have two tanks and maybe play about 20 times a year. So that's about a years worth of air for me, give or take.

I would consider it. if I could hook up both my tanks to it and just leave them go and it would shut off after it gets to 45.

I must say I agree with several of you on here and think this is a great idea and should have been done several years ago. I think the toughest part about this design would be the size/fill time/cost ratio, which you seem have worked out. $200 would be a reasonable price for me seeing how a scuba is $150 but will only fill to 3000 psi and you have to pay to have it refilled. I currently use a SCBA fireman's tank that fills to 4500 psi that I paid $250 (got an extreme deal from a guy in the industry) so $200-$250 and not having to pay for fills would definitely be something I would be interested in.

Its not about the cost. Its about the convenience. If I have to go to the scuba shop to fill my tank or if I am not close to a fill station, I have no option. I too can fill a scuba for $5. I also get free air fills at my local field just 15 min away. That being said, I would love to have my own personal high pressure fill device, even if it cost me more money, because it is more convenient for me and it gives me another option.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

The difference here is this device is small and quiet, and plugs into the wall. A young kid could bring one of these into his room or home without his parents knowledge and without getting adults involved.

A scuba tank needs to be filled, and that fill comes from a dive shop etc. Usually you have to drive to a dive shop, which means that A: you are old enough to drive, or B: you are going with someone old enough to know what is going on.

The point is not whos fault it would be, the point is that it could introduce more risk to ignorant players.

Quote Originally Posted by xero28
    Sure there could be safety concerns, but so is running and diving around the woods with a 4500 psi bomb tucked beneath your shoulder.

What's the difference with someone who fills an out of hydro tank off of a scuba? The scuba shop isn't going to check to see if the HP tanks are in hydro, just the scuba tank. If the HP tank blows up, could they sue the scuba shop for filling the scuba tank? Of course not. I really don't see any legal issues Tom should be worried about with this product. If someone wants to risk their own lives by doing something with a tank they're not supposed to, then survival of the fittest (or smartest).

Keep up the good work Tom.