Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mini Compressor Update :)

I'd say I'd probably use it ~8 times a month. That's to keep 3 tanks filled and tinker.

Wink

Supposed to play the day after Christmas.
    If that happens that will be only 4 times this year I've played.
    So I'd probably use it no more that 2 to 4 times a month, if that.

3 to 4 times a week , sometimes continuous , a h2o seperator on the outbound side would be nice also , I would rather pay more for a better , longer lasting product
    I really don't think we have to worry about the Quality ( consider whos building it ) , just the lifespan before rebuild , I don't think any of the parts will say made in china either
    Will this have a big AGD logo on it ???

I will end up using it a lot, as its about a 3 hour round trip between the nearest HPA filling field and where I live.

I am so grateful that you are producing this!

I'd probably fill a 68/45 about twice a month, although if I had a compressor I'm sure I'd find ways to use it all the time so I'm hopeing this will be like an Automag, still working great after 20+ years
    Any estimate at all on the final price yet?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Looper
    *** Not sure if this would have any value but could a full SCUBA be regulated down and used as the primary stage. I use this on my booster to get the SCUBA down to 400PSI http://www.palmer-pursuit.com/cart/i...roducts_id=174
    Um, what would be the point of even using the compressor? Just regulate the pressure down to where you want it, using the compressor is adding a pointless step in the process. If I'm understanding this that is...

Quote Originally Posted by PaintballEngineer
    Um, what would be the point of even using the compressor? Just regulate the pressure down to where you want it, using the compressor is adding a pointless step in the process. If I'm understanding this that is...
    It would fill his tank faster and pass from a 3000psi scuba to a 4500psi fill. Then he could just fill up his scuba again.

Lightbulb

Got a question for ya Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    I am happy to report the prototype is working VERY well and has filled a 68/4500 in about 20 hours. This is with a 16 RPM motor! (am I good or what?)
    What would the Minikomp do if the rpms went up? (do I hear a name contest comming down the track????! ) Did you design it only to work at low speeds making this not an option?

(semi mischevious thoughts continue...)
    Last edited by PaintballEngineer; 12-09-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: cause I did it from my iPod touh and it looked wired!!!

To answer the asked question 2-3 times a month only filling my tanks for tinkering.

I am happy to report the prototype is working VERY well and has filled a 68/4500 in about 20 hours. This is with a 16 RPM motor! (am I good or what?)

This was using an 85 psi shop compressor feed which is really what makes the difference. The shop compressor hardly runs at all. For the people that didn't catch this in the other thread, a 68/4500 holds about 11 cubic feet of air when full. Your typical shop compressor puts out 90 psi at 5-10 cubic feet PER MINUTE. This means it should only have to kick on 2-3 times during the entire fill.

Question:

You say that input pressure is really what makes a difference. Does this mean that with a higher input pressure the fill time is reduced? IS the a Max input pressure that shouldn't be exceeded?

Will a higher input pressure cause a higher RPM on the pump causing more heat?

Does the size of the tank on your compressor have any affect on the process?

Thanks!

I am going to try and answer your questions in an update to my first post in this thread. That way the info stays in one place.

AGD

once a week for me, but it would only be for a 13ci tank, probably once a month for a larger then 45ci tank.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself
    I would likely use it on the fill a scuba side. Even if it took me a week to do it, it would be worthwhile to me for fooling around, tooling on markers and whatnot. Even without my own collection any more, I still find plenty of others that let me mess with theirs.
    If it turned out that didn't work as well as I think it might, then likely be filling a 45/45 several times a week.

I would definately be interested in a good water seperator as well. If one is not included with the pump (which I think it should be) then a link to a decent one with a good service life would be great. A little bit of water getting into any kind of HPA tank or emarker can be pretty detrimental

Quote Originally Posted by MANN
    There are already systems out there that cost 1500.00. They are HPA boosters. Tom is tring to make a smaller/ more user friendly version.
    I know, I was just over emphasizing the difference to make a point, but Tom ended up answering that issue anyway. At this point, I don't have too much more to add as far as useful input, besides that I wouldn't have an issue with it coming from china to reduce cost as long as you get what you actually send out to them to make (HPA regulators that have no actual regulating components comes to mind).

Still very interested in this product. Was particularly hoping to spend $300 max. I see this may be in the $400-500 range. I'm going to bet this will turn away 'some' of the potential buyers outside of the mag/cocker/etc tinkering market.

I think I can already assume the answer; but, can the tank be left to fill for a few hours, unhooked, then put back on to fill for a few hours again the next day, etc etc?

This compressor will not cost less than 300 dollars and I am trying hard to keep it under 500. The motor is a huge expense and unless I can get them in China cheaper, its MORE than 200 bucks just for that. The motor is a big factor in the noise and reliability.
    Keep up the good work. At this price point I am most likely out.

Seeing as I only play 6-8 times a year...

I would be a 10-20 times a year guy. Also Tom, please, like anything you make, make it strong!!! Also think base model and accessories. Paintballers love to accessorize. Make the base model cheap and make a killing on the accessories. Sell a whole fill station kit: hoses, adapters, connectors and of course COLORS.
    Last edited by the123; 12-10-2009 at 02:45 PM.

I think that the price updates just made it a little unaffordable and impractable for me. Sorry Tom. I know you are doing your best!! Good luck and thanks for your hard work!!

I agree... It climbing closer and closer to the 5 bill mark is making it look less and less likely for me.

We'll see. Again I appreciate your time and effort TK, I hope we can make it worth your while.

DM

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothice
    Keep up the good work. At this price point I am most likely out.

Seeing as I only play 6-8 times a year...
    Ditto. Thank you for your time and hard work into this though Tom. I know that there WILL be people who will be able to put these to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilMan
    I agree... It climbing closer and closer to the 5 bill mark is making it look less and less likely for me.
    Plus the need for a regular shop compressor. Originally it was sub $300 and all in one. I thought it would be closer to $250 plus a shop compressor. I'll see what my bank account looks like when these are done, but where I am, teh nearest store is actually on my way home from work, so it seems pointless. For those that the nearest store is 3 hours, it will pay itself off in a year or so. We'll see, but then again, I would rather pass on an expensive yet super quality product, then buy something that breaks. Knowing that it is coming from Tom, we can be assured it will be top notch!!

I will pay the price required to get quality. I would rather it costs $500 and be safe/solid than cheaper and take any chance.

Count me in

Well it doesn't hurt that I play for free (aka WORK) at the 2 fields I go to when I go. I also have the added benefit of being the "Rodent Control Technician" at one of the fields.. But I don't pay for my air or play at either field with $$$ I pay it off with work. Though if these were able to use a shop compressor (I have) or a scuba tank (I have) and be ran as a booster type of set up and were in the sub $300 range I could see myself getting one when I get back into the game a bit. With it climbing on cost (Not blaming, and fully understand how things cost money) though not sure if I'd be up for pulling the trigger on one for a bit.

Again thank you just the same.

DM

Yeah, let me clarify a bit too. I'm not saying that since the price is higher than first anticipated I think it shouldn't be made. I'm saying that the price is simply out of my budget right now. If I did have the money for it, I too would rather it be built with quality products/materials and cost more than be made out of shotty materials to save a few $$$. Heck, that's why I'm still rockin' the Mag. Plus for me it would not be really necessary as I have a scuba tank and there's a dive shop 5 miles away. That and the fact that I would really just be using the compressor to fill tanks to tinker, it isn't something that's a must have.

I'd use it to top off a 80 CF SCUBA from 1800 psi up to 3K once a month. I'd also fill 4 x 68/45 tanks twice a month.

Build me one that I can run two weeks a month even though I'll use it two days. "Because quality always shoots straight!"

New developments as of today 12-10-09

I am now testing the newer 95 RPM motor and its making a big difference.

See the first post for the update. I think the price may be coming down

AGD

Thumbs up

New developments as of today 12-10-09

I am now testing the newer 95 RPM motor and its making a big difference.

See the first post for the update. I think the price may be coming down

AGD

In terms of Price/Quality, do keep in mind you are asking a forum of Mag users, folks who are here because they chose quality and durability.

However, its my opinion that a more casual user would likely keep going to his local field than fork over even 200 for a compressor unit. The folks that are going to look into this product will be those who play often, probably tinker with their markers, and are likely going to expect to see a return eventually on such an investment. For that anticipated market, high usage can be expected, and you should probably aim for high durability.

Me personally, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'm a woodsballer, I paintball every week in the summer, spring, and fall, and about once a month in the snowy winter months. So filling my main tank and backup, I'd probably use it for about 50-60 fills a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddux
    because they chose quality and durability.
    QFT

Put the best parts you can in mine. I'll pay for it.

I'm hopeing to buy a house out in the country next year, so I'm still really interested in an air source that will help me and my kids and our friends to play some ball in a home field.