Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Eigenbarrel

The Eigenbarrel

Has anybody tried the Eigenbarrel by Lurker Paintball?

For those unfamilar with them, they are a 14" barrel with a continuous .678" ID.

Here is their link: http://www.lurkerpaintball.com/eigenbarrel.html

7 rows of porting does not sound like the most efficient barrel...but what do I know. I also wouldn't shoot a barrel that much undersized. The paint we shoot around here is no where near .678.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

im VERY excited to mine.

id like to try one
    cockerpunk are you going to give us a nice testing video on this one?

Are these mainly for indoor play, like using reballs?? I would think .679 would be rough to find in standard quality paint.
    Minimag, 16" Dye Titanium, Benchmark double finger, phase II, level 10, 88 4500, warp.

after the other "underbore specials" come out from CP we'll get them together and test them all out. we have a 681 stiffi, i use a .679 python with .686 dye 12 inch one piece on the front, and bryce uses his .679 freak, so those all ought to make for an interesting test with the CP 1 and 2 piece .679s and the lurker .678.
    Last edited by cockerpunk; 01-25-2010 at 11:14 PM.

No, these are not just for indoor play, and heres why:

The Eingenwhatever barrel was designed using specs from TechPB and mutliple trials. TechPB has found that underboring increases the efficiency of your marker and does not have significant play in barrel breaks. While odd, we know, it seems that Planet eclipse might be onto something with their cure bolts.

The barrel is a straight bore, with a slight opening at the threaded end to prevent balls from breaking on the seam due to the extremely small bore. It has a 9" control length (9" from breech to the first vents) to give maximum control over the accuracy with a crapload of porting to reduce sound signiture.

I've got a friend who will have his by the weekend- I suspect that for regular PB they'll rock. I also expect in winter they're going to blow because of condensation buildup on such a small bore size, and I also would expect that with reballs these might be iffy as they might catch edges and inperfections on the balls that might otherwise sort themselves out as they tumble through your barrel. Guess I'll see saturday though.

I"m thinking some pump guys may like these. There has been much complaint about tiny paint lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman
    7 rows of porting does not sound like the most efficient barrel...but what do I know. I also wouldn't shoot a barrel that much undersized. The paint we shoot around here is no where near .678.
    Uh the porting doesn't start till after 9" of control bore. That's really what matters. Sounds pretty efficient to me, especially when you're underboring. There's no small paint in NJ? That's weird man, I haven't found anything larger than .683 in years.

they should have either made this barrel a two piece( second peice with a large bore and lots of porting) or a 1 piece unported barrel.

once the paintball hits the ported part of the barrel, pressure is no longer pushing the paintball. the .678 ID will cause alot of friction and may slightly hurt the potentially great effieciency you get from underboring.

In my opinion the ideal barrrel with be a 10 inch 1 piece unported barrel with a .680ish ID.

There has to be a point where the ratio of barrel bore to paintball diameter has a negative effect. Eventually it's the equivalent of trying to spit a grape through a straw. I'm curious to see if cockerpunk and bryce find this point.

I think I may be in a wait and see mode after these shot tests are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by julien4
    they should have either made this barrel a two piece( second peice with a large bore and lots of porting) or a 1 piece unported barrel.

once the paintball hits the ported part of the barrel, pressure is no longer pushing the paintball. the .678 ID will cause alot of friction and may slightly hurt the potentially great effieciency you get from underboring.

In my opinion the ideal barrrel with be a 10 inch 1 piece unported barrel with a .680ish ID.
    porting doesn't mean the barrel stops containing the power pulse and the ball is suddenly left to its own devices.

if that were the case then adding a heavily ported front to a barrel back wouldn't effect the chrono speed.

and yet when we do put a heavily ported front on a barrel back, the muzzle velocity goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
    and yet when we do put a heavily ported front on a barrel back, the muzzle velocity goes up.
    Can you please explain the science behind that? It doesn't make sense to me.

I think what he means is it goes down, but if the pulse was lost as soon as the ball passed through the porting it wouldn't matter what kind of porting you put on the front because the velocity would stay the same. (run on sentence I know). Basically ---> depending on what you have for porting on a barrel tip, you can change the velocity of the paintball. The other guy said it didn't matter, but it does because the power behind the ball isn't lost. I think I said it right. hahaha

Thats weird I would never buy a barrel that small, out here in UT the paint ranges between 687 and 691, with Marbalizer being right around 689. I wonder why the paint is different sizes in different areas

Quote Originally Posted by CatoRockwell
    Thats weird I would never buy a barrel that small, out here in UT the paint ranges between 687 and 691, with Marbalizer being right around 689. I wonder why the paint is different sizes in different areas
    Temperature, Humidity, Altitude, Manufacturer....all can play a part.

Marbalizer being right around 689
    Weird, Marbs in Massachusetts are .684 fairly consistently, and at D-Day last year I saw .683 consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
    Weird, Marbs in Massachusetts are .684 fairly consistently, and at D-Day last year I saw .683 consistently.
    D-Day last year was the JT Fluid line, I would know, it was the hands down worst event paint I have ever used. It was also fairly large I couldn't use it in my qloader.

D-Day last year was the JT Fluid line, I would know, it was the hands down worst event paint I have ever used. It was also fairly large I couldn't use it in my qloader.
    I shot Marbs bought from PB Fury and they were .683 fairly consistently. About 2 years ago or so I was using a .691 Scepter for Marbs regularly and now it practically drops through. I will say that Fluid was just terrible... It doesn't feed in my Pinokio; I can literally get cheapo Rufus Dawgballs (not actually sure that's the name) to feed more regularly than that crap.

I'd much rather see Valken (worth trying for lvl7 users) for similar cost or even Stinger. I know it has to be overpriced but at least it could be good cheap crap.

Quote Originally Posted by julien4

Correct. TK proved this years ago. But you guys can believe all the hype you like.

Ummmm....Arent all barrels continuous ID until two piece barrels came along?

Above

Palmers are not they are eliptical with wider portion in middle and narrow on the ends

Swamp

That barrel looks good to me man, I like massive porting at the end because I like my gun to be quiet, even if that sheds a bit of efficiency.

I'd get one if I had money and an AC thread adaptor!

-B

Exclamation

Wow.
    .678 huh ?
    I'd like to try one but it seems to be way too small for the paint around here.
    Seems like if you are way under boring a barrel (paint runs about .687 around here)
    that may work with a pump, one shot at a time.
    Seems like it would slow the ball down in the barrel and cause barrel breaks under rapid fire.

I had some nice fresh Marbs and had to change from a .685 to a .687 because of barrel breaks here last year.
    Now if I used $35.00 a box paint maybe an under bored barrel wouldnt cause broken paint.
    just saying.

At $39, it's worth testing out to know the performance for certain.

i have no idea where poeple are finding .685+ paint.

i often have rollouts out of my .679 python. forget underboring, just to prevent a rollout you need a barrel like this around here. underboring a huge bonus when you get the chance to do it though.

Northeast. Can't say I have seen paint that small. Usually use a .689 to .693 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk
    i have no idea where poeple are finding .685+ paint.

i often have rollouts out of my .679 python. forget underboring, just to prevent a rollout you need a barrel like this around here. underboring a huge bonus when you get the chance to do it though.
    Florida.

If you come out to the Rockies you will find that virtually all paint is between 687 & 693

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman
    Correct. TK proved this years ago. But you guys can believe all the hype you like.
    you can easily do the same experiment at home or at the chrono station.

take the front off your 2 piece barrel, fire a few shots, then stick the front back on and take a few more shots. they will be higher in velocity.

means that this "the mm the ball hits a port the barrel is over" business is the hype. the expanding gas does continue to push the ball even after it hits both the massive overbore of a barrel front, and the porting.