Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Eigenbarrel

Quote Originally Posted by drg
    There is fairly extensive discussion about this barrel on a couple other forums.
    So what's the verdict?

The discussion concerning porting and if there is any available force beyond the start of the porting can easily be proven by firing the gun(without balls) and holding your hand against the tip of the barrel. You will notice that there is lots of energy in the air blast, even though there is plenty of porting in the barrel. That is because the air has mass and energy and it takes force to change its direction. The amount of force it takes to redirect it to the side and then force it out through the ports is equal to the energy imparted on the object that is redirecting it(the ball). So, even though barrel porting exists, the ball will still be accelerated past the porting although it will lose some of its effectiveness.

We tested some barrels back in 1990. Everyone was honing their barrels out thinking the honing was making the surface smoother and more accurate. We found that the honing process actually opened up the barrels and made the balls more loose so that they barely touched inside the barrel. The efficiency went down but the accuracy went way up, especially with poor quality paint (as good as it gets with poor quality paint). Larger bores are more forgiving on poor paint. Tight bores only work on good paint.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I shot about 600 rounds through one I barrowed about 2 weeks ago. I was shooting Diablo Heat, so not the best paint for a test.

The barrel was nice when shooting slow, and I got about a 15fps average increase on the chrony... but break one ball and you are done for.

I played a game with it, cursing at te owner about how much I hated his barrel as I watched abotu 1/2 my shots spray out the end of the barrel. I did get somne peopel out that game, but not worth it to me - I will go wiht a nice paint to bore match and deal with having to turn the gun up a little.

Styg

Ill try it again when it gets warmer and see if the warmer temps and better paint help at all
    Sometimes It's Good to be EVIL

Quote Originally Posted by chafnerjr
    So what's the verdict?
    My verdict is that unfortunately it's not really a good barrel choice.

That's what I was worried about... oh well. At least it's another theory tried and learned from.

The bore size theory is okay, but stick with a two piece or step bore design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirge
    Northeast. Can't say I have seen paint that small. Usually use a .689 to .693 myself.
    ^
    Yup. We get smaller down here, but not smaller than .684 ish.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    ^
    Something tells me that making a "smaller balls down south?" joke wouldn't be appreciated much eh?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by chafnerjr
    Something tells me that making a "smaller balls down south?" joke wouldn't be appreciated much eh?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I dont know about smaller... but I do know about 'Blue-er"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil
    ^
    I just picked up some of the APX Fyre.
    Came from Califorinia, to here, Florida. From the left coast to the right one .
    .687 is the smallest I'm able to use and seems to be the norm here no matter which paint I buy.
    I wondered about this barrel with the bore being so small.
    I thought maybe it might work for pump players, but I couldnt see how you wouldnt break paint under rapid fire semi auto conditions.

But DRG is a pump guy and he gave the barrel thumbs down.

I'd be interested to to know what made him come to that conclusion.

Breaks are actually generally not an issue with unerboring, it takes a lot of underbore to break balls.