Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the crash and burn of paintball.

The first time I played was about 2001. I was hooked like a prize marlin. I have not played for about 5 years now and it sounds like it changed. I guess back then it was about a shared expierence and getting as many people to play and have fun as possible. Because if they do not have fun then they will not come back and they will tell their friends and they wont come out to paly, and then eventually no one will be on the field.
    I liked it back then. We were all... Paintball Geeks and that was AWESOME. It was kind of fun to explain the sport to people and just go for it you know?
    Giant flying dogs are gonna give you a flame-thrower enema!!!

SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!!!!!!!!

Chuff!!! Chuff!!!

ABQHC

Ahh yes, those were my highschool years, paintball geek. Truly good times. Lets make the sport like that again.

It is like I said: if we bash the newbs and make them have a miserable time or have a good time at thier expense then they will ot want to com eback. Then they tell their friends about what an awful time they had playing and how much of a jerk all the other more expierenced players were. Then their friends who might have come out to paly won't. Then we stop getting new players and then the field stands empty...

Paintball is definitely not as friendly as it was even a mere decade ago. And yes, the inexpensive technology that allows reliable high rates of fire make it a lot easier to be a d-bag in the sport. However, the only way we are going to change this around is by continuing to go out and play at our local fields, and being the players we wish others would be.

We have to be the ones to take new players under our wings and show them the ropes.

We have to be the ones who point out d-baggery and ridicule it into extinction.

We have to be the ones who make it fun for new players to come out and play, and continue to do so, hopefully bringing their friends.

We can not sit back and only gripe about how bad it is, we have to be the ones who go out there and make paintball change for the better, because if we don't, who will? No one will, that's who.

So, who's going out to play in the next month and try to change paintball for the better? I know I will be.

/soapbox

I been back in the sport for almost 2 years now after being out for 7-8 years. Its apparent that this problem is now static... not getting any worst... but not getting any better either.

Quote Originally Posted by usagi_tetsu
    So, who's going out to play in the next month and try to change paintball for the better? e[/url].
    /soapbox
    That's the spirit. I'm with you!

Here Here
    I know I always tell people "Nice Shot" or "Nice Angle" after the game when I am hit and out. I always let people know who the D'bags are and who plays well. I personally take a lot of the new kids at the fields and let them run a flank with me. Their youth and speed makes up for what I lack in that department

quick update

i went again this weekend, and gotta say its was the most fun i've ever had losing! i played with a group of younger players (10-13 i'd say) and spent the whole time explaining how communication is key, and every once in a while trying to get them to shoot off the break without shooting teamates (ME) in the butt while they're running up. i even took two of the young guys and split them up making them captains to choose their teams, we won a few and lost a bunch, but i took the time to lend a few of them my mini for a few games and watched their face light up. i even organized a few losses with me and a few other experienced players, which took more effort then i thought, however listening to the kids share story's after made my day. im liking this idea more and more every time i go out.

one story i have to share involves one of the younger players being the last on his team and as i watched on the sidelines the other team was outnumbering him 6 to 1 and he fought em off all he could but they kept advancing, and as one of the opposing members ran up i called the game and ran up to tell the kid he was out (he wasn't shot yet however i didn't want him to be lit up like the fourth of july), but apparently he had other plans because as i ran up to try and save him from getting lit up, he thought i was bunkering him. as he proceeded to shoot me i stood in front of him taking a few shots from the other team, but had to be the funniest bonus balling i've ever taken. he finally got what i was doing and walked off the field with me apologizing every step of the way.

agree with most here, the sport has taken a hell of a turn since when i started as well (about 98). everything was a good deal more expensive to shoot, so you used to always conserve, pumps were seen a good deal more too like someone else mentioned. if you ask me there's waaaaaaaaaay too many electro guns out there with ramping and all that crap. should just go back to a semi auto do what your fingers can do tops and call it a day.

i do think player attitudes all depend on where you play honestly. we've got a couple local fields to pick from and i absolutely hate playing at one. everyone there has the "i'm better then you" attitude you mention with always needing to win. you go a ways south and it's like a totally different world. refs and everyone there will joke around and help one another out.

hell went out last saturday and i had a great time, showed up with a couple friends we hooked up with all sorts of folks out, few younger kids few adults. we'd also mix up teams so things wouldn't get one sided... if someone won two or three times in a row things got changed to balance out things. talked to one little kid out playing too, said it was his first time and he was totally stoked to play with his dad. said he hasn't got anyone but he keeps coming close, just asked him well shoot are you having a good time? he said oh yea! i said well that's all that matters then, if you're happy then it's worth playing. also helped out some team mates which you don't see much either lol. girl on my team also first time out, hit her gun on something lost some paint so i tossed her a loader to keep her in play and what not. did it for another dude that was a friend of a friend. hell with walking cause of no paint lol. even the refs get in some laughs, we had one get shot checking someone else in a "town" thing which he wasn't pleased over but he was laughing at the same time... told us all to go back in (respawn thing) i said want me to shoot some folks while i'm walking back he said sure why not lol so i lit up two guys on my walk. he just kept them in game but he got his laugh payback.

soooooo summing up i think where you play also has something to do with it. the place that has the attitude folks are generally where the speedball tourney boys hang out which generally they've got the have to win attitude cause well... they don't just play for fun.
    Last edited by Seth1784; 03-31-2010 at 02:22 PM.