Thread: Buy or Build?

Buy or Build?

Like all hobbies you come to a point where you should buy NEW and build/modify accordingly or buy something that someone built up and is selling because of various reasons...

60% of the time it's cheaper to buy used "if" you can find a configuration that matches what you like.

But, for a couple of dollars more you can buy a brand new marker that has never been tampered with or altered and have a solid base to build up on?

Sorry, can't resist.....

You waited 7 years to post this...very impressive! The force is strong with this one. Welcome back.
    Last edited by skipdogg; 05-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.

I'm confused is this a questions or just an observation?

Check back in 2015 for the answer...
    No gun

YES!@

That was the last time I played. That group of friends got married and got rid of their toys, and then I got into firearms and atv's... Have a new group of friends who are getting into paintballing and they are buying the electro guns.

It also looks like the price of the mags and other high end markers are a little more affordable now?

So I bought a Dallara bodied mag used but in great condition on AO for $600. A great price for the the custom marker it is. I had a pnuemag conversion done which adds $200. Not to bad at this point. So I decided I wanted another one for my stepson and we built it together from the ground up. Airwalk sleeper pnuemag frame, phoenix body and rail, x valve, etc. After anno somewhere around $1200 invested. It is definitely way more expensive to build but you get exactly what you want. Does the one shoot better than the other? Not really. If you are patient you can usually find a used mag in great condition that matches your wants and needs.

Kewl!

I just purchased two markers from here: a non-working Emag/Warp and a Classic with intel-frame... Now to keep an eye on the classifieds for parts and to decide to fix the Emag or go electro-pneu or just pneumag.

Should be a fun experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Sc0
    Kewl!

I just purchased two markers from here: a non-working Emag/Warp and a Classic with intel-frame... Now to keep an eye on the classifieds for parts and to decide to fix the Emag or go electro-pneu or just pneumag.

Should be a fun experience!
    what parts do you need for the emag, I have some left over bits from my current project the EP-Emag

https://automags.org/forums/showthrea...73#post2763073
    Last edited by kcombs9; 05-09-2011 at 10:05 AM.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want a totally customized mag, then it doesn't pay to buy a base model and upgrade. You won't be using very many of the stock parts, so the cost wouldn't be worth it. If you buy a partially customized mag that has many of the parts you need, then most of the parts will be used in the new build and the cost will be significantly less than buying each individually. The good news with mags, is that the parts usually have a long life span, so buying used is not as much of a problem as with other markers.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I would look for a customized mag thats as close as to what you want. I'm new to owning mags and when I first got back into paintball I really wasn't looking for mags but came across alot of gorgeous customized mags. By the time I realized I wanted one of the mags I came across they were sold. So after 2 months of being back I have a a complete tac-one, karta body and rail, helium body and rail on the way, a tac-one body, emag rail, a logic umf frame, ver frame, ego star frame(maybe picking up a airwalk frame). I think I spent over $2000 already probably more then I wanted to and I'm still looking. Luckily I found a marker that has pretty much everything I want well don't know quite yet but its on the way. What I'm trying to get at is find a marker close to what you want and go from there.

I don't know what half of those parts are, which is a good thing for my pocketbook!

I found a classic on the classifieds setup for a drop forward and has a intelliframe, about the only thing that I want to add besides a reseal kit is a on/off ASA with purge. Could do a Pnuemag conversion later but not sure how it will work unless I upgrade the valve and bolt, which is more $$$.

I also grabbed a Emag, which needs seals, battery, and a drop forward/ASA setup, and WARP mount. For some reason I am looking at the Milwaukee compact 18V RED M18 Lithium-Ion batteries instead of the AGD or other NiMh.... The other upgrade is to have the grip machined, I have big hand but that grip feels like a .50AE Desert Eagle!

Ordered two Ninja tanks from Ninja with the regulator setup for an "Automag", evidently lots of people have been calling them and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Also ordered two barrel adapter to accept Cocker threading, been eyeballing the J&J EDGE Elite barrel kit. So with that I should be playing with the Classic soon and as soon as I figure out the valve rebuild and grab a battery of some sort plus some other add ons, I should be rocking the Emag. (Should be interesting, my friend just picked up an autococker of some sort recently too...)

Where'd you pickup the cocked adapter?

The Twist-Lock to Cocker barrel adapter: Picked them up from DOC himself, and just got them in today! http://www.docsmachine.com/contact.html

Overall a smooth and quick transaction! Polished Stainless steel, finely machined, and comes with the Spider ball detent... $40 + $5S&H, they do have sharp edges but I don't view that as a problem as I prefer to round them off as it means that the machining bits were fresh and sharp and tolerances are tight. (compared to wore out wobbly tooling)

Now, to get some Cocker Barrels and drill these to accept Angel Detents and add lightening holes.. (or add a bunch of lightening holes)

If the adaptors have spyder detents, why are you adding Angel detents to the barrels? If you are looking at a lighter barrel, look into a Deadly Winds carbon Fibur barrel. I would recommend finding a cocker barrel that you like with the amount of porting you want. By the time you spend the money on buying a barrel, having someone do additional porting and reannodize, you could have purchase a nice barrel.