Thread: Disassembling Emag lowers question

Disassembling Emag lowers question

I feel like I saw this discussed recently but can't find it using the Search. I'm getting some emag lowers anno'd soon and everything is stripped down except the metal nubbin piece that makes contact with the battery. Do you have to punch this out or what? After you remove it, how you do securely reinstall it? Thanks again!

--Bo

*Edit*
    Long day at work, mods feel free to move this to the Tech section where this probably belongs.
    No gun

Quote Originally Posted by Automag ReTro
    I feel like I saw this discussed recently but can't find it using the Search. I'm getting some emag lowers anno'd soon and everything is stripped down except the metal nubbin piece that makes contact with the battery. Do you have to punch this out or what? After you remove it, how you do securely reinstall it? Thanks again!

--Bo

*Edit*
    Long day at work, mods feel free to move this to the Tech section where this probably belongs.
    Support it on a couple of blocks of wood and use a long punch to knock it out. When you get it back from ano, you can try to put a new pin in, but if the stripping process took too much material off, it may not snug in. You can use a sheet metal screw in its place. Just run a tap or appropriate size drill bit to make sure you are getting metal to metal contact.

yes punch it i just took three out of my 3 emag lowers.

here is the thread.
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259396

when knocking it out be patient good strong hits on the punch.
    dont be in a hurry, you might miss and ding your lowers.

KNM

Thanks guys, that what I thought needed to be done. And thanks KNM, that's the exact thread I was looking for. I thought you had something to do with so I was searching your posts, but I thought it was a few months ago so I skipped ahead to far, whoops!

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    Support it on a couple of blocks of wood and use a long punch to knock it out. When you get it back from ano, you can try to put a new pin in, but if the stripping process took too much material off, it may not snug in. You can use a sheet metal screw in its place. Just run a tap or appropriate size drill bit to make sure you are getting metal to metal contact.
    +1
    when I had my x-mag re-ano'ed, the terminal pin kept slipping out so I just tapped the hole and replaced it with a stainless steel screw

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightG
    +1
    when I had my x-mag re-ano'ed, the terminal pin kept slipping out so I just tapped the hole and replaced it with a stainless steel screw
    Do you remember what size tap/screw you used? And were you able to do it by hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    Do you remember what size tap/screw you used? And were you able to do it by hand?
    I do not remember the size of the tap.. I can look when I get home.
    Yes, I was able to do it by hand. Since the hole is already pre-drilled, it really only took me a few seconds to run the tap through it.

Alright, now the magnets are being a PITA. I was able to get all but the bottom most magnet in the top of the frame and the bottom one won't budge. I've attached a allen wrench to it (magnetically) and tried pushing (using opposite polarity) from underneath with the other 3 magnets that I have, but I can't get enough pull on the magnet to move it any. Along with that one, I can't seem to get the magnet out of the top of the trigger either. The top of it is pretty corroded and it won't budge either. What are the magnet tricks out there?

yeah if you find out how to get the magnet out of the top of the trigger let me know.

the only way i can think is drilling it out.
    but then clean up of the bit will be a beee ouch.

i know its epoxied in.

KNM

The magnet in the trigger, or the one in the frame is epoxied in?

Quote Originally Posted by Automag ReTro
    The magnet in the trigger, or the one in the frame is epoxied in?
    in your case both i think are epoxied.
    normally the top magnet in the triggers are epoxied.

KNM

The magnet in the frame shouldn't be epoxied. It is probably just corroded and expanded causing it to be extra tight. Try putting a dab of epoxy on the end of an allen wrench and gluing it to the top of the magnet. You should be able to pull it out. If it doesn't come, all that will happen is that you will pull the finish off the magnet. You can then break the magnet up and dig it out and clean up the area.

The one in the trigger is definately epoxied in. The magnets are rather soft. You can probably dig it out with an awl.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

i have tried diging the magnet in the trigger out. no dice, it seems to be a tight fit already and is epoxied.

should i drill it out, if i have extra magnets?

thanks,
    KNM

Depending on what epoxy was used, you might be able to break it down with heat.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    Depending on what epoxy was used, you might be able to break it down with heat.
    ive been trying that too.
    hasnt worked at all.
    Last edited by knownothingmags; 01-13-2012 at 03:17 PM.

You can drill it out. The magnets are quite fragile and soft.

will do.

thankyou.
    KNM