Thread: Teflon Thread Sealant

Teflon Thread Sealant

Just figured I'd share. I've used this for a long time on my guns instead of teflon tape. Whats everyone else using?

http://www.buyplumbing.net/15620-Her...nt-1-2-pt.html

I have always and still use pink plumbers teflon tape. Its thicker than regular teflon. It's one of those things that I've just always used and it worked great so, I keep using it. Like using air tool oil instead of expensive "paintball" oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbez
    I have always and still use pink plumbers teflon tape. Its thicker than regular teflon. It's one of those things that I've just always used and it worked great so, I keep using it. Like using air tool oil instead of expensive "paintball" oil.
    I'll have to try it out.

I use Masters orange tape, not much different than the pink stuff

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/1-2-...-t-tape/959660

Blue Locktite for the win.

(Well, actually it's not Locktite brand. Blue Permatex thread locker gel for the win.)

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    Blue Locktite for the win.
    Hmm, good to know.. Thanks!

Use purple loctite. Its the one recommended for high pressure. It isn't a thread locker.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Ninja tape.

I thought purple was for lower pressure than blue? I've got 'em both either way.

The purple is good for 10000psi and doesn't actually lock the threads, so you can still take the threads apart without heat if you need to make changes.

Here is a link to a chart that gives the basic specs on each type:

http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_d...ectorguide.pdf

This chart doesn't list the blue because it isn't in the sealing category. Don't use tape unless absolutely necessary to get by in a pinch. Pieces of the tape can get broken off and caught in the air passages where they are not supposed to be.

Ah, gotcha. In my experience the blue works just as well as the purple, then, for sealing. And you don't need heat to take it off... just a regular wrench. But like I said, I've used both and have both.

Now red locktite is another story, of course.

Been using blue Loctite for ever and never had any issues.

I do however have a nice dovetail AGD ASA that has a braided line with red Loctite and I can't remove it. Any tips how I can remove it without damaging the ASA?

Quote Originally Posted by Hook
    Been using blue Loctite for ever and never had any issues.

I do however have a nice dovetail AGD ASA that has a braided line with red Loctite and I can't remove it. Any tips how I can remove it without damaging the ASA?
    I've been working on cars for a while and the usual solution would be to try to add heat to break it free or to soak it with a penetrant like a pb blaster (or a 50/50 mix of acetone/mineral spirits and transmission fluid).

Quote Originally Posted by Justus
    Ah, gotcha. In my experience the blue works just as well as the purple, then, for sealing. And you don't need heat to take it off... just a regular wrench. But like I said, I've used both and have both.

Now red locktite is another story, of course.
    I have used the blue on threads as a lock to prevent vibration from backing the bolts out. You'll notice that the blue dries to a solid. The purple and other sealers remain soft and pliable and offer no additional resistance to the torque on the threads. That's the main difference. The softness actually makes them easier to clean the threads for reuse as well.

As mentioned, the red is a super strong thread locker. Only heat and/or a lot of torque can remove that one.