Thread: lots of little leaks today

lots of little leaks today

I got to play today, and I brought a few friends along that borrow some of my Automags. Both the RT's came down with little leaks, though. The leaks weren't so bad that I couldn't use the mags. They still worked fine, and as long as I refilled the tanks between games, they never leaked so bad that my buddies ran out of air on field, but I'd still like to get them fixed, obviously.

RT #1 is mostly a classic mag except for the RT valve and Level 10. CF frame, stainless steel body, etc. It started leaking out the little hole on the left side of the valve (front half). This valve was recently rebuilt, so I'm pretty sure it's not an o-ring problem, and I took it apart on field to inspect everything...so I'm wondering if I actually need to get a new reg valve pin assembly for it. I can't just replace the o-rings on the valve pin, can I?

RT #2 is essentially the same (also Level 10), but it started leaking out the back velocity adjustment hole, not the side. Again, this one was recently rebuilt. So I'm wondering if I need a new regulator piston assembly.

Not terrible break-downs, obviously...just a little annoying that they both happened the same day. Weather was great (50 degrees), and of course both these markers were working fine in my garage when I checked things a few days ago.

#1: You can just replace the rings on the valve pin. I believe they are 006 cast urethane 90 durometer. However, if you removed the valve pin assy during rebuild, I would take it back apart, clean reg pin assy and the hole it assembles into, inspect, generously oil, and shoot it a few dozen times. These things always take a while to seat right for me after I remove and reinstall them. Rarely, have I actually had to replace the o-rings.

#2: I don't think I've ever had a reg piston assy go bad on four different Automags in ~16 years of using Automags. That doesn't mean it can't happen. But since it was right after a rebuild, I would check the same thing as #1 and also the reg seat o-ring. Look at the animation at zdspb.com>marker tech>animations, and you can see how these o-rings, if bad or otherwise not sealed properly, could let high pressure air get to the reg piston assy, either directly or through the hole down the middle of the reg pin assy, which would bleed to keep pressure at a safe level.

Good luck.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    #1: You can just replace the rings on the valve pin. I believe they are 006 cast urethane 90 durometer. However, if you removed the valve pin assy during rebuild, I would take it back apart, clean reg pin assy and the hole it assembles into, inspect, generously oil, and shoot it a few dozen times. These things always take a while to seat right for me after I remove and reinstall them. Rarely, have I actually had to replace the o-rings.

#2: I don't think I've ever had a reg piston assy go bad on four different Automags in ~16 years of using Automags. That doesn't mean it can't happen. But since it was right after a rebuild, I would check the same thing as #1 and also the reg seat o-ring. Look at the animation at zdspb.com>marker tech>animations, and you can see how these o-rings, if bad or otherwise not sealed properly, could let high pressure air get to the reg piston assy, either directly or through the hole down the middle of the reg pin assy, which would bleed to keep pressure at a safe level.

Good luck.
    If the reg piston is pre L10 pressure design I would suspect it is in fact a piston has gone bad. The new pistons are designed for L10 pressures where the old pistons were not.

I've had to replace all the pistons in my mags that I put a level 10 in. they old ones can't stand up to the pressure. they can be rebuilt/tuned if you know what your doing but I wouldn't do it myself.

Whoops, yeah. I made the assumption these had the newer reg piston assemblies for Level 10 use.

I bought the RT valve with the Level 10 already installed, so now I'm a little upset the seller didn't replace the piston when he upgrade the valve. Oh well. Simple fix, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    I bought the RT valve with the Level 10 already installed, so now I'm a little upset the seller didn't replace the piston when he upgrade the valve. Oh well. Simple fix, at least.
    Lol. That was my exact thought when my wife's valve did the same thing yours are doing last spring. At least it's an easy fix.

its rare that I get a gun, and its at 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Predatorsd View Post
    its rare that I get a gun, and its at 100%
    Truth.

Little update on this thread. A new reg piston fixed the one mag that was leaking out the back, and a new reg valve pin assembly did fix the other that was leaking out the side (but simply changing the o-rings did not fix it). So, problems solved.