Thread: Lvl X issues and others (Maybe)

Lvl X issues and others (Maybe)

Originally was going to seek help with tuning my lvl x, which I may still need. But I think there may be other issues.

Gun set up is classic rail, ReTro Valve with new reg piston, reg pin assembly, on/off with what I believe is the pin from centerflag. ULE body, and centerflag hyper frame.

As previously stated, I thought I was having issues with the lvl x, I could not get the gun to cycle no matter what. Current lvl x setup is #1carrier, no shims, and the gold spring.

Just out of curiosity this morning, I gassed it up and used an allen wrench to press on the sear through the hole just in front of the field strip screw. The gun fired but the bolt did not fully reset, which in turn leaked down the barrel.

So now I'm wondering if this isn't an on/off or trigger issue. Still going to need to look into the bolt not fully resetting as well.

Any help is welcome at this point. Especially since the techs at my local field look at me cross eyed when I tell them what I have.

Someone else may be able to speak to this with more specifics, but doesn't the hyperframe require a different length on/off pin?

Have you tried the marker with a mechanical frame to see if it still has issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Xyxyll View Post
    Someone else may be able to speak to this with more specifics, but doesn't the hyperframe require a different length on/off pin?

Have you tried the marker with a mechanical frame to see if it still has issues?
    I have not tried a mechanical frame. It has been quite a while since I've played and who knows what I did with my original frame. Trust me though I am very close to just buying a new one to try to eliminate that possibility.
    As for the on/off pin. I am pretty sure it is one that centerflag installed. Back in the early 2000's when I originally bought that frame, I sent the entire gun to centerflag for the install. When it came back it worked like a champ. Now, really the only difference between now and then is a new level X kit and the ULE body. When I replaced the rt on/off as a whole, I put the original pin back in and not the one that came with the new on/off. So it's anybody's guess at this point .

I did just get done reading a thread about a new body install and it ended up being milling that was slightly off causing misalignment issues. Going to take so e pointers from that thread and apply them to my situation.

There are some issues with the hyperframe when using mags, and it is especially bad with level 10 mags. The level 10 requires a higher operating pressure in the chamber which increases the force that the hyperframe needs to exert on the on-off pin in order to fire the gun. The hyper frame barely operates using the stepped on-off it comes with which is similar to the retro valve. You will have better luck if you install a ULT for use with a hyperframe. Since you did get it to fire manually, that supports the theory that it needs more force applied to the trigger.

The gun leaked when the bolt stuck. That could be due to the pin being too short, or it could be due to bolt stick from a carrier size issue. Make sure the body is tight on the rail, too.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    There are some issues with the hyperframe when using mags, and it is especially bad with level 10 mags. The level 10 requires a higher operating pressure in the chamber which increases the force that the hyperframe needs to exert on the on-off pin in order to fire the gun. The hyper frame barely operates using the stepped on-off it comes with which is similar to the retro valve. You will have better luck if you install a ULT for use with a hyperframe. Since you did get it to fire manually, that supports the theory that it needs more force applied to the trigger.

The gun leaked when the bolt stuck. That could be due to the pin being too short, or it could be due to bolt stick from a carrier size issue. Make sure the body is tight on the rail, too.
    Thanks for the input. Just ordered a mech frame and a new sear. Figured what the hell, can't hurt to try it.

When the gun was operating good, 15 plus years ago, I can't remember which I had on first, the hyper frame or the level 10.

But once the new frame comes in, I will post my findings.

***NOTE***
    athomas - You were right about the the hyperframe not having enough force to operate the on/off. Gassed it up last night and pulled the cover off the frame. Sure enough the solenoid is clicking, but there was no way it was going to operate the on/off. Which is weird because as mentioned, at one point i had both the hyperframe and the lvl X installed together on the same gun. But who knows, maybe I will put it on an old rail and body i have and donate it to my local shop's Museum Wall.
    Last edited by cbstalter; 05-27-2019 at 07:15 PM. Reason: NOTE

One more thing you may want to try is a 9.6V battery in the Hyperframe instead of a 9v. Back in the 'ol Spyder days, I had issues with clapper solenoids not being strong enough on a 9V. 9.6V worked fine.