Thread: Do quad orings melt?

Do quad orings melt?

Has anyone else seen quad orings melt? I had some issues with my red SFL and pulled out the quad O-Ring and it melted to the on/off pin.

I spoke with Dirge who had that issue a few years ago. Has any other AOers seen this happen?

I had the gun dialed in Virginia, drove to Top Gun in NJ and left the gun in my trunk for a day. I’m assuming my car got really hot and melted the damn thing. I’m wondering if I should travel with my valves on ice. :-)
    Last edited by Bunny; 07-17-2019 at 08:59 PM.

out of all of them i could see that one being the easiest to melt(other than the level 10 bumper) since it appears to be buna esque.

Never saw one melt. They get hard when they get old. I use Viton as they tend to hold up better. What kind of oil did you use in that gun?
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

if seen tons that stick to the on/off pins in a melted goooooo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    Never saw one melt. They get hard when they get old. I use Viton as they tend to hold up better. What kind of oil did you use in that gun?
    Autolube from AGD. I'm going to throw another oring in and put the gun in the car and do some tests tomorrow. I'm wondering how hot it got in my trunk to see if that is the possibility.

Name:  0.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  0-1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  0-2.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  0-3.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  84.8 KB

I took 3 valves and all of them had the same issue. I'm 99% sure that it was the heat from my trunk since all of the valves were working last week at my home field. I put some new quad orings in and everything returned back to normal. For any traveling e-mag people, remember to store your valves in a cool place.

They were probably old to begin with and the heat did not help the situation.

Florida garages are terrible on them ,, I kept them in my box and changed them regularly , that stuff is like tar

Yes AGD quad orings will deform under extreme heat. Not exactly sure what the specific amount of heat is, but it seems to be attainable in a hot car...
    I've seen many deformed and melted in the on/offs just like Bunny has. Also seen them become deformed in storage due to heat.
    They seem to be much more susceptible than the nitrile buna or cast urethane.
    Unfortunately I don't have the specific temp specs on our quads. I just did a quick search and cars can reach 172 degrees inside if temps reach 100 degrees outside.
    Obviously the quads are melting somewhere above 100 degrees and below 172 degrees.
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

Not to mention how a lubricant might interact...

Thanks for the replies! I borrowed a infrared thermometer the other day. In a day similar to my trip, my driver side seat was 160 and the trunk was around 120 depending how much stuff was stacked on top.

No wonder you shouldn’t leave animals, babies, and/or SFL Emags in the car for so long!!