Thread: Velocity nut keeps backing out

Velocity nut keeps backing out

So about every 400-500 shots I was noticing a significant drop in velocity so I put a little witness mark at the 12 oclock position on it with a sharpie and sure enough it keeps backing off gradually. My buddy suggested to put a little teflon tape on it but I wanted to get some opinions on that first. I also thought about a dab of blue loctite? I've had mags in the past and never had this issue.

It's a 1994 classic valve lvl 7.

I am only running about 650 psi if that might make a difference but I have a high pressure piston for my reg ordered that will bump up output to the 1050 psi range.

Thanks for any advice.

So after 25 years you have two threaded stainless parts that have been basically polishing each other. Without corrosion to hold the metal ( like those damn vertical bottles screws that always lock like crazy ) you end up with the velocity nut polishing those threads over all these years and now under the constant expanding and contracting of the pressure from shooting you're getting movement.

We used to get this problem from rental automags and we actually had to butcher valves and drill set screws to lock the velocity. I would not do that!

Liquid teflon would be the best if you have access to it. Small dab. Liquid teflon is a sealant but never dries and will provide the bit of stick you need.
    I suppose teflon tape could work. It will just tear up all the time on you. Loctite dries too hard and will break and turn to dust everytime you adjust velocity....
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

what about a thumb adjuster with a locking set screws cheap and probably easy to find. i would swap the screws for something that is nylon or brass tipped.

Thank you gentlemen for the advice. I will definitely give those a shot.