Thread: How to install safety...safely?

How to install safety...safely?

Hey dudes,

I have a frame that I basically rendered useless recently by trying to install a safety. I ordered the safety from AGD. The frame was a V1 M86 frame.

First off, the ball wouldn't fit. I tried forcing the spring in and had some luck, so then tried tightening the set screw over top of it. I got it in far enough to make it work somewhat, but the screw stripped very easily. Now it's stuck halfway in the frame, and the safety bounces from side to side, so it's ineffective, annoying, and actually randomly will block the trigger from working at all.

What did I screw up here? I just ordered a V2 M86 frame and intend to try again. I very much would like to have a functional safety on this gun. Advice appreciated.

You have to run a 4/40 tap in those holes first. Having tight holes for those balls is a pain in the ass. Most times the cavity gets bigger when you get past the threads. Drill it out and push the ball back out from the other side and try again.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

AGD uses an over sized hole for the 4-40 threaded safety hole.
    A 4-40 thread spec calls for a #43 drill (0.0890") but the safety detent ball is bigger than that (3/32 which is 0.09375") either the designer screwed up or the machine shop missed it..

I just tested a new V1 and V2 M86 frame and the safety ball dropped through both. They appear to be made properly. That being said if the ball does not drop through. Use a 3/32 drill bit and run it in the hole. You don't have to tap it. The bit will widen the hole enough for the detent ball to drop in and there are enough threads to catch the 4/40 screw.

AGD X-frames have safeties already installed when they are shipped.
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

Thanks guys, this is helpful.

Is there a way to salvage the frame I already have since the set screw is totally stripped and I can’t unscrew it? How would I remove this thing? I know this is outside the scope of automag particular stuff since I’m basically asking how to remove a tiny stripped screw, but I would really love to be able to use this.

Look at your at the hex key under a magnifying glass to see if the edges are rounded over, if so try a new hex key.

Yeah, looked :P it’s not the key, it’s the darn screw.

Quote Originally Posted by stircrazzzy View Post
    Yeah, looked :P it’s not the key, it’s the darn screw.
    Takes 2 seconds to drill it out. The balls I have measure .091

PM me if you need a machinist.

Who uses the safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Who uses the safety?
    To be honest, more people should... I've seen too many refs shot in the back of the leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    To be honest, more people should... I've seen too many refs shot in the back of the leg.
    Refs aren't people, just mobile, yelling bunkers that seem to get in the way.

And the first safety you should always use is between your ears.

Big ups to Luke fixing this for me, btw. Thanks dude

No problem..