Thread: Shelf life of parts kit?

Question Shelf life of parts kit?

Heyo,

I have a classic parts kit and an X-valve parts kit that are probably pushing 10 years old. What is the shelf life of the rubber parts?

I suspect the urethane o-rings might be funky? (data sheets seem to say 5 year shelf life?)

What about the Regulator Seats, bolt bumpers and foamies?

Thanks !

Subscribing because I'm curious

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ive had reg seats and foamies for 10 yrs and are still good. Maybe longer. Bumpers too. Orings last around 5 yrs.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Really just depends on where they were kept. If it was in a cardboard box out in your garage/shed semi-exposed to the elements, it might be worth just getting a new one. If it was in the house, sealed up next to your baseball cards and gun collection... could be in good shape still.

Its not the age of a kit but how well it has aged. If the orings turn to goo or literally break apart then its time for a new one. Other wise, have at it.

mh53eplt Guest
    I've two eMags pushing 15 years with lvl 10, o-rings & foamies.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Five years is supposedly the limit for soft parts such as orings, seals, etc. How you store them makes a difference. Keeping them in a cool, dark place is ideal. I use contact lens cases to store my orings and keep them coated with grease. Its pretty much airtight and keeps them out of the light as it can degrade them more quickly.