Thread: Onshape Paintball Repository

Onshape Paintball Repository

So I got this idea a while back when wanting to make a model of the EvilM for people to have free access to, and haven’t followed through on it much.

Would anyone be interested in this sort of project? Just trying to get as much paintball design information as possible on the internet, for free?

I think it would be a great educational tool since Onshape is free for public files, and that way you can pull up the schematics for any marker on your phone at the field.

I would like it for when I help solve marker issues so I can show them exactly what failed and how to fix it.

So far I have an unfinished EvilM body and an Xvalve on there, so it’s nowhere near what I would like to see.

Ideally I would eventually just reverse engineer all of my markers and get them up there, but that’s a ways off, and that only encompasses a handful of designs, and no spool valves.
    Il n'y a point de sots si incommodes que ceux qui ont de l'esprit.

I got some interest over on MCB, so I've decided to tag all parts with "mcarterbrown", "mcb", "paintball", and whatever model/manufacturer.

You can find this model in OnShape if you search for any of the above, or "airgun", "agd", or "automag".

I encourage everyone to at least download the app and make an account. That way you'll have access to this stuff on the go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

so did you just upload YDNA's and Airgun Design's stuff into onshape, and then assemble them?

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    so did you just upload YDNA's and Airgun Design's stuff into onshape, and then assemble them?
    That’s what I’m starting with, because I figure why do work that’s already been done?

It may seem pointless, but unless you personally had a program that could read inventor files, you couldn’t view his files.

The next step after I get those in is to make my own models on markers I own that he hasn’t put up.

I am also trying to get others to do the same so we can collaboratively get as much paintball data as possible to view on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopay700 View Post
    That’s what I’m starting with, because I figure why do work that’s already been done?

It may seem pointless, but unless you personally had a program that could read inventor files, you couldn’t view his files.

The next step after I get those in is to make my own models on markers I own that he hasn’t put up.

I am also trying to get others to do the same so we can collaboratively get as much paintball data as possible to view on the fly.
    thats good and all. but there is alot of data that is out there that isn't in check. so if this does turn into what you want it too, i would check all your files to be accurate.
    to the point of inventor files you are right and wrong there, most modeling software that is worth a its weight, now can cross platform very well.

the good software that is available will let you do many things, thats why they are the good software.

these are all my opinions and such so take them with the passing fart in the air.

i like the idea lets see where this goes.

thats good and all. but there is alot of data that is out there that isn't in check. so if this does turn into what you want it too, i would check all your files to be accurate
    Accuracy isn’t as important at this point. The goal isn’t to get files that you could recreate the markers from. The goal is to just get widespread access to accurate enough files to be educational.

Ideally I would like this to result in being able to make drawings from this so getting parts would be less of a problem, but that’s a bit out of scope of my main goal. Just a representation to help understand how they work is enough.

to the point of inventor files you are right and wrong there, most modeling software that is worth a its weight, now can cross platform very well.

the good software that is available will let you do many things, thats why they are the good software.

these are all my opinions and such so take them with the passing fart in the air.

i like the idea lets see where this goes.
    Yes, any CAD program should be able to read other file formats.

However, in the 8 or so years I’ve been an engineer, I’ve only ever met two people who had access to these programs at home; one paid the $4k a year or whatever for solidworks, the other got a deal from an old boss on out of date software.

CAD software cost is prohibitive for private use, so someone who isn’t an engineer is even less likely to have it.

That’s why I was so excited when OnShape became useful, and why I am using that as a platform.

Previously, if you didn’t spend money on a CAD program, you were SOL and couldn’t view the models. Now you can.

Moving forward, on my models at least, I can be more sure of the accuracy. I can guess at the tolerances so I could make it so you could reproduce the marker is go inclined, but doubt I would go that far because that wouldn’t be a great use of my time for something that may not be used ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snoopay700 View Post
    Accuracy isn’t as important at this point. The goal isn’t to get files that you could recreate the markers from. The goal is to just get widespread access to accurate enough files to be educational.

Ideally I would like this to result in being able to make drawings from this so getting parts would be less of a problem, but that’s a bit out of scope of my main goal. Just a representation to help understand how they work is enough.

Yes, any CAD program should be able to read other file formats.

However, in the 8 or so years I’ve been an engineer, I’ve only ever met two people who had access to these programs at home; one paid the $4k a year or whatever for solidworks, the other got a deal from an old boss on out of date software.

CAD software cost is prohibitive for private use, so someone who isn’t an engineer is even less likely to have it.

That’s why I was so excited when OnShape became useful, and why I am using that as a platform.

Previously, if you didn’t spend money on a CAD program, you were SOL and couldn’t view the models. Now you can.

Moving forward, on my models at least, I can be more sure of the accuracy. I can guess at the tolerances so I could make it so you could reproduce the marker is go inclined, but doubt I would go that far because that wouldn’t be a great use of my time for something that may not be used ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    oh ok i get the bigger picture of what you are saying now.