3 33.33%
  • Wait for 2020 Mid-tiers

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Possible Project - Need Some Wise Advice

Question Next Possible Project - Need Some Wise Advice

All,

After spending time on my two Mags that I am keeping forever (hopefully), I've decided I'm going to try to sell off my two impulse buys (bad impulse buys), Etek 2 and PEV's Ego 07. Also trying to sell my minimag that has the purple splash pieces and then any random parts I've accumulated that I don't need.

After that, I plan on getting one more marker in my arsenal/collection to make 3 and that'll be it for a good long while. That's where I am having trouble deciding what to start looking for and saving up for. This is where you come in to help lead me to what I may get or build.

I've created a poll of the possible choices I've considered. Please vote in the poll. I listed below some of my reasons why I picked that one as a poll consideration. NOT looking for pump or magfed types as of now.

1. Electric Mag of Some Sort
    I already have two mechanical mags with Xvalves so I'll already have orings and parts to maintain and those types of parts are still available. Downside is the electronic versions are hard to come by and use batteries that are hard to come by.

2. Mech Autococker
    This is the second type of marker I've always admired after my first love the Automag. No, I didn't say that because I'm on here. That has always been the order of favorites. Anyways, Autocockers seem to still have a great presence out there in the world and have parts galore. Now, these seem far more difficult to know what model and year because there are a ton of different styles and builders and some are compatible with parts from others styles or years. I do like to tinker and build stuff so that is why Autocockers appeal to me. I know about the tuning and timing of them which doesn't intimidate me. I like to tinker. I tinker and play with nitro RC cars and there is alot of tinkering, tuning and timing on those everytime you go out and use it due to weather and/or fuel.

3. Electric Autococker
    Same reasons as mech cocker but would have the E frame and different pneumatics. Not too knowledgeable about this platform and if I should steer clear of this.

4. Used Mid-tier Electric Marker
    Used mid-tier and priced electric. Some ideas I've had on this that I like are in no particular order are: Dye DSR; GI Sports Stealth; PE GEO 3.5; PE Gtek 160R; Bob Long Onslaught; Bob Long G6R; SP Shocker RXS or XLS.

5. Other
    Plead your case for any other options that I should consider.

6. Wait for 2020 new mid-tiers
    Wait for any new 2020 mid-tiers to come out.
    Last edited by jbtamu1011; 08-26-2019 at 11:12 AM.

#2 is my vote

Variety is the spice of life and your already got mags going on so I say do something different but still interesting

You can always convert it to a e cocker down the road if you want

Coincidentally, I have a centerflag hyper frame for a mag if you are interested. It could bolt straight up to one of your other mags with just a front frame screw and rear field strip screw, that way you could still do a mech mag and e mag on the same marker but it wouldn't take up as much room in your bag as a whole different marker

Shoot me a pm if you want to talk about it

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by trbo323; 08-26-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Pneumag.
    Hold your breath, new stuff in the works.

Great suggestions guys! Keep them coming and do the poll!

Quote Originally Posted by jbtamu1011 View Post
    Great suggestions guys! Keep them coming and do the poll!
    Hmm, maybe Tapatalk doesn't display polls, looks like a normal thread to me

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mh53eplt Guest
    Have to agree with Luke. #1 Pnuemag is the way to go. Buy rail & lowers from luke & body from XMT.
    or if not pnuemag fan #2 Emag. When it's wet out side & other players electronic markers fitz & die, turn electro off & shoot in manual mode.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mh53eplt View Post
    Have to agree with Luke. #1 Pnuemag is the way to go. Buy rail & lowers from luke & body from XMT.
    or if not pnuemag fan #2 Emag. When it's wet out side & other players electronic markers fitz & die, turn electro off & shoot in manual mode.

I do have a mag that has a Nummech frame on it so I would have a way to have a pneumag later on. I am waiting on my body from XMT to put on that mag as we speak. My other mag is a MicroMag.

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    Thanks will keep this in mind,, knownothingmags!!

I do have a mag that has a Nummech frame on it so I would have a way to have a pneumag later on.
    When did Nummech release his pneumatics for that frame?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Haven't seen it yet. I am looking on his site now. Nothing I can see, but I do have the frame if/when that comes about.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Haven't seen it yet. I am looking on his site now. Nothing I can see, but I do have the frame if/when that comes about.
    Or if Nummech doesn't come out with his pneumatics, I do have your MP90 grip frame. :-)

I do have your MP90 grip frame.
    That's a easy 5 minute upgrade

mh53eplt Guest
    Bingo!! Give that man a prize. Only downside is you'll double your paint bill.

Quote Originally Posted by mh53eplt View Post
    Bingo!! Give that man a prize. Only downside is you'll double your paint bill.
    Just double?

Why not have 3 non-electro trigger 'Mags? That way when you pique others' interests you can show the differences in how they can be setup.

- keep one a Level 10 X (with optional ULT on/off)
    - pneu the other X build
    - have a classic Level 7 ss valve (it'd be good backup if you play a field or mech tourney that don't understand 'Mags and just arbitrarily ban RT/X and PneuMags)
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Stick View Post
    Why not have 3 non-electro trigger 'Mags? That way when you pique others' interests you can show the differences in how they can be setup.

- keep one a Level 10 X (with optional ULT on/off)
    - pneu the other X build
    - have a classic Level 7 ss valve (it'd be good backup if you play a field or mech tourney that don't understand 'Mags and just arbitrarily ban RT/X and PneuMags)
    So, I would have 3 of those if I don't sell my Minimag with the splash parts.

• Minimag with SS valve and lvl10
    • Micromag with Level X
    • ULE with Tunavalve and Nummech or MP90 frame (waiting on XMT cf body)

I could pneu the ULE easily. Has anyone attempted a ULT on/off on a micromag before?
    Last edited by jbtamu1011; 08-27-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Man, this is a tough choice. The poll here and the same one on MCB has mech cocker as the leader. Then it's close between mid-tier and other which I'm liking the pneumag option.

You'll just end up building more mags. Electro... Mech... Pneumags... ElectroPneumags...

Search your feelings, You know it to be true...

Quote Originally Posted by mobsterboy View Post
    You'll just end up building more mags. Electro... Mech... Pneumags... ElectroPneumags...

Search your feelings, You know it to be true...
    haha yeah this might be the case after all said and done.

So, I would have 3 of those if I don't sell my Minimag with the splash parts.

• Minimag with SS valve and lvl10
    • Micromag with Level X
    • ULE with Tunavalve and Nummech or MP90 frame (waiting on XMT cf body)

I could pneu the ULE easily. Has anyone attempted a ULT on/off on a micromag before?

I’ve got a 2k9 running a ULT.

Quote Originally Posted by Taco303 View Post
    I’ve got a 2k9 running a ULT.
    How do you like it? Any chance you can send or post a video?

So, I think I've narrowed down my options to two: Pneumag or Used electro. The autococker might just have to wait until 2020. Might be a fitting name to go along with that build. Anyways, so I've submitted an online trade-in form to TradeMyGun with some markers. Depending on what type of value they come back with, these are the potential markers I have my eyes on: Dye M3s; Dye DSR; PE 160R; PE 170R; Shocker XLS. They have some DLX Luxe's and Empire stuff, but I figured the ones I just listed were better. How much would one say would be a good deal if I have found a Black Magic Autococker that has an E-frame?

I think for sure I want to make one of my Mags a Pneumag. That would be one of the cheaper projects comparing to an Autococker. I'm thinking maybe turn my Micromag into a pneumag. Question, is it a pain to get a micromag anno'd?

ULT is just an on/off and will work with any X valve - the body and frame aren't a factor. It can be a Royal PITA to properly tune though. The body in *some* Micromags may have issues with the slight bulge at the L10 bolt's tip and can be fixed by sanding that bulge down to be flush like a L7 bolt.

Nothing to say about electro markers - it'd be like trying to talk to me about your commuter Prius while at the track. However, something I can address, is indeed Micromags can be difficult due to the clip and washer/cup setup. Stephen @ Caustic and Mario @ FX have done Micros before and probably Rob @ Blizzard. I'd talk and put my trust in them.

I'm, admittedly, not much of a mag guy...

But I can help you on the electro front. All of those are good options. What characteristics do you value most in a marker?

Quote Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
    I'm, admittedly, not much of a mag guy...

But I can help you on the electro front. All of those are good options. What characteristics do you value most in a marker?
    Mainly reliability, ergonomics and sleekness (I'm a bigger guy with long arms and big hands). ease of use of the electronic features (on electros). how ease to fix or customize.

Mainly reliability, ergonomics and sleekness (I'm a bigger guy with long arms and big hands). ease of use of the electronic features (on electros). how ease to fix or customize.
    Out of your choices, the 170R is the easiest to disassemble and arguably the most reliable. The mechanical frame will be released as a kit shortly, as well. Due to the frame housing the electronics and pneumatics (including the solenoid in the electronic frame), swapping between electronic and mechanical is as easy as dropping the frame (two screws) and swapping the grips (4 screws) and ASA/reg (2 screws). It's an *awesome* marker all around. My mechanical 170R has taken my top spot of my mechs...it's literally the perfect mech. The 160R is the same marker internally but isn't packaged quite as friendly, but it's a great option for the money. Obviously, it doesn't have a mechanical option.

The DSR would be almost as simple to disassemble as the 170, but it just misses the mark due to the grips being a PITA to remove, and the fact that they must be removed in order to access the HPR, which is in the same location as the 170's. The DSR is also less comfortable, with sharper trigger guard edges and less room between the frame and foregrip. With that said, it's an awesome marker and shoots as smoothly and quietly as anything out there. The bolt system is essentially a simplified Gamma Core and it's quite efficient and reliable. I wouldn't recommend it over the 170R, though.

The M3 is my favorite Dye marker ever. The bolt system is very neat, like a modernized version of MacDev's balanced systems (used from the Droid to the Clone GTI) with a dynamic valve to shut off the chamber. The shot quality is very unique (very smooth but crisp) and efficiency and reliability are both very high. Like the DSR, it has wireless connections between the frame and body. I much prefer the trigger and ergonomics over the DSR's, as well. Just make sure that if you go this route, it either comes with the + parts (solenoid housing, gen 4 eye pipe, soft tip bolt) or you buy them yourself. They make a very real difference in how the marker performs and handles paint. This is one of my favorite electronic markers to use right now.

I own an M3S with the + parts, DSR, and 170R with both frames. I don't own an XLS, but they're solid markers. From working on them, they're not as easy to disassemble (not wireless) and I'm not crazy about the air routing plug they use. I would put them 1 tier below the other options, but they're solid if you can get one for a nice price.

I will toss two more options into the mix - a Clone 5S or Clone Infinity, and a Prime. I tend to shoot these more than any other electronic spools I own.

LV1 if you can find one.

Or a CS2.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    LV1 if you can find one.

Or a CS2.

Are CS1's a little too dated now? Which LV1's?

Are CS1's a little too dated now? Which LV1's?
    CS1's are definitely not "dated" by any standard. My personal favorite PE spool is the CS1 (CSR version, to be specific), and I've got plenty of field time with a CS2. I still prefer the CS1.

In terms of the LV1, they're all essentially the same. The LV1.5 is my personal favorite of the bunch and I also own one.