Thread: pneumatic auto-response valve interest

pneumatic auto-response valve interest

I tried to design a pneumatic valve recently (like Luke's T-Rex or Zap's cheater valve), mostly just to see if I could do it. The short answer is no, at least so far. I can't get the trigger rod pressure low enough to make it walkable. However, during the design phase I made an interesting mistake in the valve design that turned out to be promising. Basically, I accidentally made a pneumatic auto-response valve that fires on the pull and release of the trigger. Even better, I was able to design a special three-stage safety to go along with it. The safety has a full-stop for safe, a full open for auto-response, and a half-open for single shot.

This is the prototype.

Name:  Mark I.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  74.0 KB

Now I'm wondering if there's a market for something like this if I can design the valve to be a drop-in mod for a common trigger frame, like the Intelliframe. The way I see it, this has two big advantages over the old auto-response frames. First of all, AR frames are hard to find (and expensive to buy when you do find one), so this would be more widely available. Secondly, as cool as AR frames are, they ALWAYS shoot twice. That's the whole reason I've never bought one. This frame gives you the option to shoot once, however, so it gives you more flexibility on the field. If you needed a tournament lock of some kind, I could even install a trigger stop that you could set to lock out the AR feature.

I think I could sell these for about $75 if you just want the valve. Then you would have to find your own LPR and do the install yourself. (I think you would only have to swap out the safety and drill a small hole in the back of your frame so you can reset the sear when the marker is degassed.) Or I could do full installs for $100 if you send me your frame. If there's enough interest, I'll go ahead and create another thread where people can place orders and get on a waiting list, so post up and let me know if this is something you want. (There would be no pre-order for this. I would only put some names on a list and start making valves. I would only collect money when yours was ready for shipping.)

Count me as interested! If it can fit a Y frame, even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Drifter View Post
    Count me as interested! If it can fit a Y frame, even more so.
    Shouldn't be a problem.

Quick update. I posted this on MCB but forget to get it up here.

Sadly there will not be a drop-in version of this auto-response valve, however, so the price will probably be $100. And you'll have to send me your frame so I can modify your trigger and mill out some material inside the frame.

I'm still working out some kinks, but I'm hoping to have these for sale in the next month or two.

good stuff

Nice work!! I was just down in Fredericksburg the other day. I may hit you up for a custom build. I think I need this for a Dual Mag build I am doing.

This is very neat. Will there be any limiting factors on which frames it will work with?

Quote Originally Posted by lifeincolorado View Post
    This is very neat. Will there be any limiting factors on which frames it will work with?
    This works well on an Intelliframe or anything else similar. Benchmark frames....not so much. The weird trigger geometry bends the valve pin as it pushes back, which causes some slight leaks. Not ideal. As for single frames, I know that it won't work on stock carbon fiber frames because those are too narrow. But it might work on some other single-trigger frames. We'll see. Single trigger frames don't have the same leverage that a double trigger does, so they might not be ideal with the heavy trigger pull. But I'm working on it now and doing some tests. Hopefully I'll have a better answer in a week or two.

I finally finished up a single trigger prototype. Works great!

I'm finally ready to start taking orders to make these valves for anyone who wants one. And I'm calling this the SPAR valve, by the way.

You can read the details and make an order here:
    https://www.automags.org/forums/show...ponse-trigger)
    Last edited by rawbutter; 02-02-2020 at 11:18 PM.

Is this even going to be allowed at fields ?

Back in the day it's my understanding the auto response frames were banned at many fields...

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Is this even going to be allowed at fields?
    Good question. I have no idea. I know that two of the fields near me allow pretty much anything. But I was expecting that anyone who wanted one of these would check with their local field first.

Then again, I could easily install a tournament lock. A little 1/16 tension pin installed in front of the switch should keep it from shooting auto response.

Auto-response style triggers as well as Burst mode firing have always been banned at our field. Those modes and auto-response are considered unsafe.
    Unless you really unleashed with it, it probably wouldn't be known you had it anyway, but might be a good idea to check locally if you intend to play at a field with it.
    It would certainly get you DQ'ed in a mech event.
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

Off topic question: What kind of foregrip is that? (on the mark III)

Quote Originally Posted by ScriblesMcNasty View Post
    Off topic question: What kind of foregrip is that? (on the mark III)
    I made that myself. It's a motorcycle grip that's press-fit over a hollow aluminum core. It's very light, very comfortable, and fatter than anything else on the market. If you're interested, I can make you one for $50, and I could adjust the design to make it gas-through or angled or whatever. Just send me a private message and we can talk about it.

The beauty of this is that it's selectable. You can opt not to use the auto response feature. And that is brilliant.