Thread: Efficiency question

Efficiency question

Ok, besides barrel to paint match, my question is on efficiency regarding valves. If you were building a light weight limited paint setup what would you use, a classic valve or retro/X valve for better efficiency out of a 13/3000 tank. My first assumption is lvl 7 bolt should be slightly more efficient than a lvl 10 bolt regardless of valve, if using lvl 10 the gold spring would be more efficient than the red. But other than that is there really
    any efficiency differences between those valves? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, there really aren't any differences in the valves to make them less efficient than the other. A matched paint to bore will help with efficiency as would a slight under-bore. Using a lvl 7 bolt would also help with it, as for the lvl x. It doesn't really matter which spring you use, it will always be less efficient when compared to a lvl 7 bolt. As for differences in efficiency when using gold or red springs, that's a question for the forum mag gurus to answer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That is more or less what I was already thinking from what I have been reading on here. A lvl 7 classic valve is probably the best choice for what I want to do.

Whether classic or retro, as long as your using lvl 7, it should achieve your desired result.

Level 7 bolt will be more efficient than level 10. Barrel length, bore and venting also contribute to the loss or gain of efficiency for sure.
    AGD is in the house!
    Custom gun builds. All the parts. New Website. Factory Service available!
    www.airgundesigns.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Level 7 bolt will be more efficient than level 10. Barrel length, bore and venting also contribute to the loss or gain of efficiency for sure.
    Yes. I believe TK tested all of that and came up with 11 inches is the best length
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    Yes. I believe TK tested all of that and came up with 11 inches is the best length
    I was under the impression that 8in was what was needed.

The barrel is a 6” non ported DW Null barrel. Will be using an apex 2 on it.

The level 7 bolt makes the valve more efficient compared to the level 10 bolt. If you do want to use the level 10 bolt, use the gold spring. It is more efficient than the red or grey spring.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

A 13ci tank? You won't get much out of it. If you want the best, put an adjustable reg on the tank and dial the i put pressure down to the minimu needed to shoot, should be south of 700psi. You will loose any RT effect, but you should gain some efficiency. Classic will be better than an Xvalve but both can benefit from this arrangement

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    A 13ci tank? You won't get much out of it. If you want the best, put an adjustable reg on the tank and dial the i put pressure down to the minimu needed to shoot, should be south of 700psi. You will loose any RT effect, but you should gain some efficiency. Classic will be better than an Xvalve but both can benefit from this arrangement
    It’s a spring feed setup so if I can get 50 to 100 shots out of a 13 ci tank that will do.

Quote Originally Posted by dstud2000 View Post
    It’s a spring feed setup so if I can get 50 to 100 shots out of a 13 ci tank that will do.

At 13c.i. 3k psi you should get about 130 shots with lvl 7. Although that is by no means a guarantee but a rough estimate. If I recall correctly its 10 shots per c.i at 3k psi and 15 shots per c.i. at 4.5k psi. If memory serves those estimates were based on using a lvl 7 bolt. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam V View Post
    At 13c.i. 3k psi you should get about 130 shots with lvl 7. Although that is by no means a guarantee but a rough estimate. If I recall correctly its 10 shots per c.i at 3k psi and 15 shots per c.i. at 4.5k psi. If memory serves those estimates were based on using a lvl 7 bolt. If I'm mistaken, I'm sure I'll be corrected.

Yes that is roughly the formula I was taking into account. 10/ci on 3000 but allowing for a lower count due to either paint, or the valve itself.

In that case, use the tightest bore possible wihout it being a stranglehold for the paint to shoot and use a barrel with minimum of porting. A 13ci tank would give you about 100 shots. Also, do not use a L10 kit. You need a higher worming pressure to move the bolt, and since you are trying to gain efficiency, you will loose the anti-chop.

Design is always a series of compromises