Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Thoughts on defunding police forces?

Quote Originally Posted by kfletch View Post
    That's because I wasn't only referring to masks, but the idea of avoiding viruses as apposed to strengthening the immune system. Every year a new virus strain will pop up. Stick your head in a hole if you like, you wont live longer for it. Promoting healthy eating and living is the more rational answer.
    Wait, a rational answer ?

That will never do !

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    Never understood why any sort of safety is lookdown upon.
    Name:  Nugent 2.PNG
Views: 36
Size:  160.9 KB

What is this suspension of rights? Do you have armed guards holding you in your home? Do you have quotas on when & where you can go? Are there food lines, saying that this is the only place to get food?

No, there aren't any of that. Just rules stating that groups of people help spread the infection faster. Not washing your hands or wearing a mask will leave you more susceptible for infection. Because so far every state, business & area that has not followed these guidelines has shown spikes in infections. Since there is no cure yet, and treatments are very hit or miss. I find it very intelligent to do the minimum in order to not contract the virus.

You are 100% not going to die from the coronavirus, if you do not get infected.

Quote Originally Posted by kfletch View Post
    That's because I wasn't only referring to masks, but the idea of avoiding viruses as apposed to strengthening the immune system. Every year a new virus strain will pop up. Stick your head in a hole if you like, you wont live longer for it. Promoting healthy eating and living is the more rational answer.
    Eating healthier has shown, to my knowledge, has no correlation to whether or not you will be infected, get sick or die. Living is always the end goal, so that is well, that.

No one is stating to bury your head in the ground, but i am sure some of the preppers have thought that & gone to their compounds & also not been infected. I can't say for sure, as i am sure they are observing no contact from themselves and the outside world. All the CDC, WHO, and various doctors at all levels are stating. Social distance, when in public; wear a mask, in public; wash yoir hands before you touch your face, eyes or mouth. And if you follow that, there is a better chance of not being infected.

Not hard rules, guidelines, suggestions to follow. But i guess it is the liberal agenda for the Democrats to try & save everyone's lives. So selfish are those liberals

Alright... weíve covered a lot of ground.

Now we are on masks.

I wear them when Iím in doors in public. I feel like that is the responsible thing to do for me, my wife and kids, and my fellow man.

HOWEVER: The citizen should have a right to wear them or not... the business owner should have a right to NOT serve someone if they donít wear a mask.

Anytime the government makes any move to further prohibit any of our freedoms... or impose rules on it... we should be wary and cognizant of it... immediately question it.

Simply because atrocities have been wrought in societies where the government oversteps its bounds.

There is a saying: when the camel comes in the tent, it puts itsí nose in first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living is always the end goal, so that is well, that.
    Yeah, you let me know if someone makes a touchdown.
    CT Co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals

Quote Originally Posted by rawbutter View Post
    The "Defund the Police" movement is suffering from a poor choice of branding. Don't let the crappy name scare you away from the message. Most of the people chanting this slogan do not want to eliminate the police entirely. Instead, they want to identify all the jobs that police are currently doing that's outside their scope of expertise. Then they want to reduce police funding for those areas and use that money to hire social workers who are better equipped to help.

I'd read as much as you can from a variety of sources before making up your mind about it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/06/us/wh...rnd/index.html

I think it's a really interesting concept, albeit totally foreign to the American experience. And I don't think we'll ever actually get to a place where there is no need for some kind of police force. But the current system isn't working for a big chunk of Americans, so I think it's worth looking at all the alternatives.
    I went several pages past this post, but the conversation devolved. Back to the topic of defunding portions of the police: it is an interesting concept that I think makes a lot of sense. The current status has placed an undue burden on the police, and has proven to have been a disservice to the public. What really angers me about this, though, is that there is undeniable proof of our government's institutional failure to hold police accountable. And that just acknowledging that fact is enough to attract the ire of an entire political party.

Even protests to bring attention to this topic are met with police brutality predominately going unchecked. America has a long history of no/weak accountability for police misconduct, at best. Not only is there a lack of accountability, there's a lack of transparency. These events are being intentionally omitted or removed from internal records, making them nearly impossible to be analyzed by statisticians.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondoatx View Post
    Alright... we’ve covered a lot of ground.

Now we are on masks.

I wear them when I’m in doors in public. I feel like that is the responsible thing to do for me, my wife and kids, and my fellow man.

HOWEVER: The citizen should have a right to wear them or not... the business owner should have a right to NOT serve someone if they don’t wear a mask.

Anytime the government makes any move to further prohibit any of our freedoms... or impose rules on it... we should be wary and cognizant of it... immediately question it.

Simply because atrocities have been wrought in societies where the government oversteps its bounds.

There is a saying: when the camel comes in the tent, it puts its’ nose in first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will only only address 1 thing. What is the difference between imposing a law, and having a rule or guidline on how you should conduct yourself during a crisis, this pandemic? Wearing shoes & a shirt are against the rules & a business can deny you the opportunity to spend money. A law says you should stop at red lights, or obey the traffic laws. Are they suppressing your freeedom to do 100mph+ because your vehicle can go that fast? You should be quiet in a library but there are no laws against it. Yes they can ask you to leave, but they can not force it. How about if the blqck death, or an ebola outbreak occurs? Something more deadly, well know & highly transmittable? Basically something way bigger & way more visual than covid. Would the rules & guidelines for an all star of a disease be followed more vigilantly just because its more famous?

The government governs its people. You expect the government to have the best people for the job(not always the case, #nepotism), and when they tell the public to do this, to help ease strain on hospitals, to help stop the spread, as it can kill, there is no immediate treatment nor is there a cure; why should it be fought so stupidly over the supposed right to show your ignorance over a right that is not being taking away? Yes, the government should not be trusted 100% of the time, because those in government are generally politicans. But what is the basis for not following these rules, or the basis to believe your freedoms are being taken away?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."

Thomas Jefferson

Name:  masks w boot.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  41.6 KB

Guess I'll weigh in on the mask discussion as well since it seems there are some wayward souls on this board.

Your freedom ends when and where it creates a probable threat to the safety of others. That is the American way of life, in a nutshell, and I love it. The probability of this threat (COVID-19) is not up for intelligent debate outside of the scientific and medical communities. We can and should reference the available data and prevailing conclusions and follow through on the prevailing recommendations.

How and why people are going about their lives ignoring this information, thinking that they know better based entirely on unfounded opinions and beliefs, is another interesting but disturbing topic on its own. I strongly disagree with that kind of willful ignorance. I almost said egotism, but it seems more likely groupthink - wherein people have attached their self-identity to a particular group.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Name:  masks w boot.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  41.6 KB

Tyranny

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."

Thomas Jefferson
    Doesn't this bring us back to the original topic? A group of people who feared their government and how they were treated by it.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Doesn't this bring us back to the original topic? A group of people who feared their government and how they were treated by it.
    Shhhhh, that is exactly the point of the protest....

Quote Originally Posted by Siress View Post
    Guess I'll weigh in on the mask discussion as well since it seems there are some wayward souls on this board.

Your freedom ends when and where it creates a probable threat to the safety of others. That is the American way of life, in a nutshell, and I love it. The probability of this threat (COVID-19) is not up for intelligent debate outside of the scientific and medical communities. We can and should reference the available data and prevailing conclusions and follow through on the prevailing recommendations.

How and why people are going about their lives ignoring this information, thinking that they know better based entirely on unfounded opinions and beliefs, is another interesting but disturbing topic on its own. I strongly disagree with that kind of willful ignorance. I almost said egotism, but it seems more likely groupthink - wherein people have attached their self-identity to a particular group.
    Pul-leaze... the CDC doesn't know what going on. Center for Disease Control & prevention? More like germ factory. You need to listen to the podcasts of the right wing, or some fear mongering news agencies, or political hacks that want to be the first to reap in the rewards of people spending money, because they know what's going on. They know what is best for the public.

I made it pretty far into that comment before realizing it was sarcasm. Goes to show you just how low the bar of expectations is these days.

Shhhhh, that is exactly the point of the protest....

I guess I always heard in reference to white people and their guns so I wasn't sure it applied to everyone, cool.

That reminded me of some of Chappelle's stand-up (Apologies for the twitter link. It was the only one that came up with context): https://twitter.com/michaelbeatty3/s...66880811089920