So I'm looking for a refresher in this tank topic. Here is my basic understanding:

-All aluminum tanks less than 2 feet long and 2 inches in diameter are exempt from testing. Use best judgement on condition.

-All aluminum high pressure air tanks (generally only 3000psi) are 5 year hydro, unlimited lifespan so long as it keeps passing hydro.

-All fiber wrapped tanks (in general) require hydro every 5 years with a 15 year limited lifespan. There are some exemptions but that is typical.

I only bring this up because I am amazed at the amount of expired lifespan fiber wrapped tanks for sale on eBay and other used sites. Is this enforceable by some kind of law or is it just up to the person if they want to take the risk and keep using the tank even if it's out of hydro or past the 15 year life? I also assume most fields won't allow those tanks from being used. That is up to the place of course, can't stop private fields from being shady if they want though.

Just looking for discussion on this. I recently rebuilt nearly all my tank regs and my shoebox compressor, so I was looking for old tanks not past life limit to refurbish and use. Caught me by surprise how many 20 year old fiber tanks were for sale!