Thread: VERY atypical XValve barrel leak (solved)

Question VERY atypical XValve barrel leak (solved)

Update: Solved! See https://www.automags.org/forums/show...66#post2934566

-----

Hoping AO community can help me with this. I have used mags for almost 20 years and I am fairly confident in my troubleshooting skills but this is the first leak I cannot fix.

XValve, ULT, Lv10 bolt. Leak stops when the trigger is held, so I know it's "front" of the mag

I have swapped out part by part with another working XValve and nothing I did was able to stop the leak. Some of the tests I did:
    • swapped bolts
    • swapped bolts with carrier
    • used smallest carrier
    • replaced carrier o-ring

I am suspecting it's from where the valve joint seam because if I put a tape around where the black and silver parts joins, the leaking sound signature changes.

Thoughts on any further tests I can do? And perhaps paths to repair?
    Last edited by ideinit; 02-02-2021 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Resolved

check your ULT or swap it out if you have an rt one.

It could be the tiny little black o-ring in the ULT. Or it could be the carrier o-ring. AGD recently started selling smaller carriers because the newer o-rings are running smaller than before.

I suppose it could be the valve seam joint you're talking about. Those two parts do unscrew, and there's a thin red o-ring in there. But that's not a moving part. Seems unlikely to develop a leak there.

I had a leak for the life of me could not identify. I eventually gave up and sent it to Tuna. It was the red o-ring where the power tube screws into the dump chamber. He said it rarely happens, but it does happen. I wouldn’t check this off the list if you have no luck finding the leak.

Quote Originally Posted by audioSLAVE View Post
    I had a leak for the life of me could not identify. I eventually gave up and sent it to Tuna. It was the red o-ring where the power tube screws into the dump chamber. He said it rarely happens, but it does happen. I wouldn’t check this off the list if you have no luck finding the leak.
    I also had one go out on a classic. I was able to figure it out by putting Teflon tape around the suspect seem. After airing the marker up it was obvious that air had blown the tape from the seem. Hope this helps.

I'm troubleshooting an X-valve for a friend right now, and I'm suspecting the same thing. I have tried EVERYTHING! First mag in 15 years I haven't been able to fix..

If you hold the trigger back when it is aired up and it doesnt leak the problem is not in the on/off assy. Just using the smallest carrier guarantees nothing. You must check the oring /carrier fit on the bolt before installing. It must be slightly snug or it will leak. You may need #00 or #000 carriers which were not included in older L10 sets.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

I fought that with a few valves and only recently resolved the way i found those leaks. I cut the back portion of a twistlock body off to where it exposes the seam where the stainless portion and the aluminum portion of the valve meet. Then it makes it easy to check with a soapy water.

Thanks for everyone's valuable inputs. It turned out it was the on/off. I swapped out ULT with another functional mag and it airs up fine with no leaks. I had inspect the pin itself and it looks straight and not bent or anything... so my guess is the ULT o-rings.

I've emailed Tuna in hopes to get some new o-rings.
    Last edited by ideinit; 02-02-2021 at 11:09 PM.