Thread: Temperatures

Temperatures

I have a carbon fiber trigger frame that I'm contemplating on sending out to cerakote, the guy who coats informed me that the cerakote he uses is an oven cure cerakote that needs to cure at about 200°F for 2 hours.
    My question is does anyone know the exact material they were made from or does anyone know the melting point for the trigger frames?

I asked the Wizard at AGD. He said...."Tell them it would be the melting point of nylon."

Thanks guys, I think the frame will be hold up, I mean trial and error right? I checked it and it seems like the melting point will need to be about double the temp where it's gonna be oven cured.

I duracoated a cf frame about a decade ago and cured it in a toaster oven. I think 250ish if I remember for about an hour and half or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will depend on the resin (e.g., epoxy or BMI) used with the carbon fiber. Most resins I use at work are epoxy and either 250 or 350 degree F cure systems. Granted I mostly work with fiberglass and kevlar products, but I don't see carbon fiber being different. You want to stay below the cure temperature of the resin used with the carbon fiber, preferably at least 10%, so 200-ish for the cerakote cure should be fine, assuming the carbon fiber resin is a 250 cure or higher.

Can you shave off a small piece (not sure if this is possible or easy) from the inside of the frame to test it? Or perhaps you (or curious AO member) has an older beat up carbon fiber trigger frame that could be used for the test.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan