Thread: X-Mag: Leaking down barrel... solved itself?

X-Mag: Leaking down barrel... solved itself?

Hi all! My new X-mag is my first automag since my Classic and R/T waaaaay back in the day. After a hard day of play recently, it suddenly developed a hell of a leak down the barrel with the trigger released, which went away shortly while pulled, but eventually I ended up just ungassing the 'mag and switching to a backup.

The first thing I noticed is that the barrel is extremely loose. Perhaps it had vibrated out? I also noticed that the breech/feedneck/detent section of the body just lifts right out without the barrel in -- this is great for cleaning, but definitely makes me worry about the barrel backing out with that bolt slamming back and forth in a loose breech.

After some research, I figured the powertube O-ring had blown and I needed a new one. I've purchased a rebuild kit, but for the hell of it, I just gassed her up (no barrel), and it gassed up and fired just fine. Is this common? Could the loose breech have been the cause of the leak? Most markers don't just *fix* themselves after sitting for a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Crownless View Post
    Hi all! My new X-mag is my first automag since my Classic and R/T waaaaay back in the day. After a hard day of play recently, it suddenly developed a hell of a leak down the barrel with the trigger released, which went away shortly while pulled, but eventually I ended up just ungassing the 'mag and switching to a backup.

The first thing I noticed is that the barrel is extremely loose. Perhaps it had vibrated out? I also noticed that the breech/feedneck/detent section of the body just lifts right out without the barrel in -- this is great for cleaning, but definitely makes me worry about the barrel backing out with that bolt slamming back and forth in a loose breech.

After some research, I figured the powertube O-ring had blown and I needed a new one. I've purchased a rebuild kit, but for the hell of it, I just gassed her up (no barrel), and it gassed up and fired just fine. Is this common? Could the loose breech have been the cause of the leak? Most markers don't just *fix* themselves after sitting for a few weeks.
    The level 10 wears in and needs to be adjusted. This is the reason for the carriers. Using the next size down with the same oring will solve the leak. Changing to a different one will require tuning, Aka finding the largest carrier that does not leak and using that.

I would recommend adding an oring to the back of the barrel to keep it from loosening from use.

Use the next size smaller carrier, assuming the power tube o-ring is intact. Use an o-ring on your barrel to keep it from walking off. If it was really loose it’s possible the feed model could push on your bolt in odd ways causing it to leak.