Thread: Level 10 Springs - Gold Starts ~200 fps, Red Starts ~330 fps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Level 10 Springs - Gold Starts ~200 fps, Red Starts ~330 fps

I've got an X-Valve with Level 10 and a Classic Valve with Level 10. Both Level 10s are newer production, purchased new this year - X-Valve from Tuna, Level 10 for Classic Valve from AGD.

The gold springs in both valves start shooting around 200 fps. By the time I get them up to 280 fps, they're not quite as gentle on paint as I would like. However, the red springs in both valves don't start shooting reliably until about 330 fps, so I can't use them as they are.

Is this normal nowadays? The four Level 10s I had in various markers in the mid- to late-2000s-ish would usually start shooting with the red spring around 250 fps. These older ones came with all the extra carriers and three springs - gold, red, gray.

I'll try cutting a red spring later a 1/4 coil or so at a time, but I wanted to hear what others are experiencing.

Both markers are otherwise healthy, to spec, and all AGD.
    Last edited by nak81783; 11-20-2021 at 09:07 PM.
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Use a #0 carrier... and the red spring with a rung cut off

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    Use a #0 carrier... and the red spring with a rung cut off
    I’ll give it a shot. That doesn’t give you bolt stick issues? I recall lots of bolt stick issues whenever I tried to run smaller than necessary carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by nak81783 View Post
    I’ll give it a shot. That doesn’t give you bolt stick issues? I recall lots of bolt stick issues whenever I tried to run smaller than necessary carriers.
    I have #0 in literally ALL of my mags

No dice. Tried 1, 0.5, and 0 carriers in both markers with two red springs cut 1/4 coil at a time to -1 and -1.5 coils. The issue remains.

One other detail with the Classic with gold spring I noticed at the field on Saturday and confirmed today - the Classic limits out at about 265 fps. The slightest increase after that results in about 320 fps.

So:
    1. I can’t run red springs in either marker, even when clipped up to -1.5 coils. This is about 1/2 coil longer than the gold spring.
    2. I can’t get to 280 fps with the Classic even with the gold spring - replaced reg seat, reg piston (anticipating a leak with the old one when switching to Level 10), and thoroughly cleaned and re-greased reg spring pack.

That said, I don’t know the spring constants between the gold and red springs. If the red is higher, do I need to clip the red shorter than the gold?

Again, I never had to clip the red springs 15-ish years ago. Have the specs changed?

have you checked your regulator pistons?