Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoebox Compressor in 2022...still worth it?

Shoebox Compressor in 2022...still worth it?

I'd like to get small compressor to top off my HPA tanks at home, and while I'd like to get a used Shoebox compressor, I'm concerned about the availability of replacement parts and the lack of official support given they've been out of business for a couple years now. Still, I suspect the quality is better than these new Chinese compressors you can get for under a few hundred bucks. I'd rather buy something used designed and made in the U.S. by TK than get some piece of garbage that requires a separate bucket of ice water just to cool it while operating.

From what I remember, Tom Kaye mentioned the Shoebox was designed to be rebuildable. Is it just a matter of common o-rings I can find online or are there specialized consumable parts that would make picking up a used Shoebox (if I can even find one) at this point a bad idea?

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by badpennny View Post
    I'd like to get small compressor to top off my HPA tanks at home, and while I'd like to get a used Shoebox compressor, I'm concerned about the availability of replacement parts and the lack of official support given they've been out of business for a couple years now. Still, I suspect the quality is better than these new Chinese compressors you can get for under a few hundred bucks. I'd rather buy something used designed and made in the U.S. by TK than get some piece of garbage that requires a separate bucket of ice water just to cool it while operating.

From what I remember, Tom Kaye mentioned the Shoebox was designed to be rebuildable. Is it just a matter of common o-rings I can find online or are there specialized consumable parts that would make picking up a used Shoebox (if I can even find one) at this point a bad idea?

Thanks all
    I am still using my shoebox almost every day. They use standard mag orings and not much else goes bad. Those chinese ones suck and do blow up. Get the shoebox. It can always be rebuilt if needed.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

still using mine

Still use mine. The shutoff isn't reliable but I just manually shut it off. Run it through a secondary inline measuring setup so I can ensure exact pressure since I do use it for 3000k tanks also. (not supposed to, but I don't let it run without being in the shop with it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zone Drifter View Post
    Still use mine. The shutoff isn't reliable but I just manually shut it off. Run it through a secondary inline measuring setup so I can ensure exact pressure since I do use it for 3000k tanks also. (not supposed to, but I don't let it run without being in the shop with it.)
    What would an example of a secondary inline measuring setup be? Would that just be a gauge between the fill nipple on the tank and the HPA coming in off the SB?

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    I am still using my shoebox almost every day. They use standard mag orings and not much else goes bad. Those chinese ones suck and do blow up. Get the shoebox. It can always be rebuilt if needed.
    I'm definitely leaning towards one after the feedback so far in this thread. I would never get one of the chinese ones at this point.

Are there major differences between the different models? I'm guessing I can't be too picky. I seem to remember the F10 was the last version, and there was an F8 before it, and one or more versions prior to that. From what I've read, the F8 or better seems to be the way to go, given the belt drive and cooling setup those have. Do you run yours with filters/moisture removers?

Quote Originally Posted by badpennny View Post
    I'm definitely leaning towards one after the feedback so far in this thread. I would never get one of the chinese ones at this point.

Are there major differences between the different models? I'm guessing I can't be too picky. I seem to remember the F10 was the last version, and there was an F8 before it, and one or more versions prior to that. From what I've read, the F8 or better seems to be the way to go, given the belt drive and cooling setup those have. Do you run yours with filters/moisture removers?
    I bought a oil and water separator(cheap) but I never see anything in it. High humidity is your enemy so at least get a filter for that. Any model is good. I have one of the originals updated with the belt drive and polished pistons and it works great.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    I have one of the originals updated with the belt drive and polished pistons and it works great.
    I have one of the originals, and have never used it. Is it hard to update? do you have parts available for it?

I bought a oil and water separator(cheap) but I never see anything in it. High humidity is your enemy so at least get a filter for that. Any model is good. I have one of the originals updated with the belt drive and polished pistons and it works great.
    Like Tuna said, I put a water separator right off the compressor (cheap 120psi compressor from home chepo) and another inline filter on top of the shoebox. I get some moisture on the vent occasionally, but I am using it in a stone and concrete basement. Yes I run a dehumidifier also. I use a water filled pressure gauge hooked up to a custom blow off valve in case pressure reaches past either 3000k or 4500k, whatever I'm filling. That's on the quick disconnect to the shoebox outlet. Just an extra safety measure since I gauged the shutoff and it's not as reliable anymore. I believe that is due to spring fatigue, but I prefer the blow off setup anyway. Working in an air lab we are good at improvising setups based on whatever parts we are testing, usually aircraft valves and heat exchangers.

Like Tuna said, I put a water separator right off the compressor (cheap 120psi compressor from home chepo) and another inline filter on top of the shoebox. I get some moisture on the vent occasionally, but I am using it in a stone and concrete basement. Yes I run a dehumidifier also. I use a water filled pressure gauge hooked up to a custom blow off valve in case pressure reaches past either 3000k or 4500k, whatever I'm filling. That's on the quick disconnect to the shoebox outlet. Just an extra safety measure since I gauged the shutoff and it's not as reliable anymore. I believe that is due to spring fatigue, but I prefer the blow off setup anyway. Working in an air lab we are good at improvising setups based on whatever parts we are testing, usually aircraft valves and heat exchangers.
    The nice thing about the shoebox is that you can leave them running and not have to worry about overfilling as they are pretty slow.

The nice thing about the shoebox is that you can leave them running and not have to worry about overfilling as they are pretty slow.
    and make sure to check every fitting for leaks with soapy water. The slightest leak and it wont fill.

Quote Originally Posted by MANN View Post
    I have one of the originals, and have never used it. Is it hard to update? do you have parts available for it?
    I do not have any parts for them. Maybe TK has some. Maybe ask Beemer. Alot of the stuff can be had through McMaster Carr.

Quote Originally Posted by MANN View Post
    The orings are standard mag orings.. the bushings im trying to srouce on McMaster... and some of the other parts we are SOL.

Don' ask questions. It is considered "trolling" in some locations.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    some of the other parts we are SOL.
    I figured if tk was producing these we would have parts still. Kinda sad. Looks like i will just sell mine and go back to scuba tanks.

Would it be possible to ask Tom for a parts list and where to source them, since he stopped producing the Shoebox? Kind of an open source maintenance book of sorts?

Quote Originally Posted by mpsd View Post
    Would it be possible to ask Tom for a parts list and where to source them, since he stopped producing the Shoebox? Kind of an open source maintenance book of sorts?
    Yes and Yes. Will Post file here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Yes and Yes. Will Post file here.
    Thanks!

Reading this thread just makes me appreciate TK and AGD's engineering even more.

If you watch last column on right there are hot links that go to the part on the web site.

This opened for me in comcast using firefox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Beemer; 05-01-2022 at 12:12 PM.

It's a shame that the part numbers dont match up to any links.....gonna take so doing to figure this one out.

Don’t you need to use another compressor with the shoebox. I have a crappy Chinese high pressure compressor now and I’d love to get a used shoebox for the quality but wouldn’t I still have to hook it up to one of the crappy ones like the one I’ve got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i ended up selling both of my shoeboxes as i got a used mch-6 in a trade. While still made overseas it has held up well. I upgraded the motor run on 220 single phase and pumps up a 77-4500 tank in a few minutes. It certainly does not feel as nice as the shoebox, but i have yet to do any maintenance on it other than changing the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    i ended up selling both of my shoeboxes as i got a used mch-6 in a trade. While still made overseas it has held up well. I upgraded the motor run on 220 single phase and pumps up a 77-4500 tank in a few minutes. It certainly does not feel as nice as the shoebox, but i have yet to do any maintenance on it other than changing the oil.
    Thank you! tunaman recommended a baur so I looked into them and they look very nice. I’m gonna save up for one of those most likely, but I’ll look into an mch-6 as well.

Also, is it correct that you need another compressor with the shoebox? If so isn’t that kinda defeating the purpose? (Since if you still gotta use the crappy Chinese junk compressor as the base compressor then what’s the point?) or does the shoebox boost the base compressors’ psi/power output so much that you don’t need a high pressure compressor as the base and instead you can use a traditional compressor like from Home Depot (that’s American/quality made) but only can do like 800-1,000 psi or less on its own?

Also, would you still use the shoebox on a high quality durable/reliable high pressure compressor that can do 4500 psi or more on its own (like a baur, etc.) even though it doesn’t need it? Or no? Maybe it’s a good idea to use it even on compressors that don’t need it just to take some strain/demand off the base compressor? Sorry for the essay length question lol. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

The shoebox requires 100 psi input from another compressor.

Some compressors require an air supply some do not.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    The shoebox requires 100 psi input from another compressor.

Some compressors require an air supply some do not.
    SO, is 100psi the safe input? I was always told 85 psi, but usually leave mine at 90 because the compressor has a 5psi tolerance before the pump kicks back on to fill the reservoir tank.

SO, is 100psi the safe input? I was always told 85 psi, but usually leave mine at 90 because the compressor has a 5psi tolerance before the pump kicks back on to fill the reservoir tank.
    I thought that is what it was, but i could be wrong. i haven't owned one for years now.

You can use one with oil but you have to have good filters. Water wont compress, but oil will. You could die.

What are these worth now ??

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    What are these worth now ??
    No idea. I’ve been trying to find one used and I can’t find anything. Not even something to use as a price reference.

So using the Wayback Machine to take a glance at shoeboxcompressor.com in August of 2013 the Shoebox MAX was STARTING at $650. Those models had the hardened pistons and belt drive upgrades, the fan was optional for an additional $45.
    Steve Shuey , Team Crimson Reign