Thread: Testing the waters. Any interest in Single Trigger frames being made?

Testing the waters. Any interest in Single Trigger frames being made?

Back in the day we used single trigger frames on our mags and RTs. We really loved those style frames and I still have a couple I use today. I have a machine shop pricing out a run of 100 frames. They will be very similar in style to the attached picture. As soon as he has a CAD file and quote back to me I will update here on the forum. I am curious to see what the interest level from the community is like. If the feedback is is receptive I will get a run made up and make available for sale. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by whpraveman; 03-16-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: error

This is neat and I'm always in support of more stuff being made for mags. Price is gonna be a key point in the decision for many. Another factor is if you're willing to bear the burden of paying for them upfront and potentially hold onto stock for years down the road vs a pre-order, it seems as if pre-orders are nice but it also sucks when they come short and don't meet the minimum needed to start the run.

Also keep in mind there's a lot of competition out there.
    I belive Nummech is close to releasing more single trigger and double triggers, Luke had the single and double CHL frame, Meteor had recently released single trigger frame based off the carbon fiber frame so all.

Also if you do end up doing these please make them to "agd spec"

Ha-ha, do beware of any Pre-Orders as AO has a long, troubled history with them!

Unless these would weigh less than Benchmarks, use AGD spec trigger geometry, and sell for less than $100...I don't see a huge demand in these. I think the ergonomics of the single-hole AGD cast zinc and carbon fiber frames are better than Benchys, and even above those the KAM M86v1 and Luke MV1 (both now retired).

A new-production, cheap, anodizable single-trigger frame would be nice as that's what Meteor just did with his limited release. Sandman could probably use some for new AGD XM Automag builds (bonus if it's setup for pneumatics). Competition would be Luke's Logic UMF-inspired CoolHandLuke frame and Nummech just teased a carton of frames on Facebook.
    >>WTB<< Sydarm w/ constant air__WarpedMephisto half-c/f body__Ac!d c/f trigger__TASO humpback frame__an Oh-Mag

There are already people who have made single trigger frames, KAM for instance and while mine is unused at the momemt, the numbers you are talking and the numbers that will legitimately sell are 2 different things. While i do support your want, single trigger frames are not that uncommon(i know for a fact that BigEvil has at leazt a half dozen of them, Tuna probablyhas some too). While my opinion of benchmark frames are low, there is nothing at all wrong with using AGD stock frames. If you plan on making a copy of a benchmark, change that safety. It sucks as is, as it is always getting knocked on safe when you don't want it.

Bare in mind, you have to consider 2 different backs, as OG RTs have the banjo bolt, and need a larger than stock size. But what are you doing to offer that is better than what we already have? What is going to an option or feature that would make people prefer your frame over others?

I have a single trigger carbon frame, and is by far the most comfortable single trigger frame I've ever used. The safety works and is out of the way, can't pneumatic it easily but I don't care about pneumaging a single trigger frame, don't care about RT, do care about weight. As others have said the carbon frame is a excellent frame.

The only reason I would buy a non AGD single trigger is because Nummech frame has the feature to run air through the frame and get it out of the way of the front grip.

As has been mentioned, the safety on Benchmark frames is a major PITA. Furthermore regarding the specifications of the Benchmark frame, there seems to be differing opinions regarding the trigger pull. A lot of people, myself included, really dislike it, compared to a AGD spec trigger frame. However, others don't seem to mind it. Still, there doesn't seem to be anyone who dislikes the AGD frame trigger pull, and I absolutely adore it.

The majority of new fancy single trigger frames seem to go to high end builds. As such, your trigger frame will have to compete with the true and proven frames that are available today. You might have a small amount of people that would like to anno the frame with a custom build, but as has been mentioned, most people would probably prefer it annoed already.

So my advice would be to make it as close to AGD spec as possible, wherever it counts. But apart from that it would probably pay off to stand out a little. Nothing too crazy, just take a look at the KAM frames, and you'll see a good example of how to stand out without too much craziness. Perhaps a more square looking front of the trigger guard, as on the AGD carbon fiber frames. Perhaps dove tail milling straight out of the box. Perhaps a fancy shape on the trigger, like triggernomics.

The KAM86 frames were the best I have ever seen. Creating a Benchmark look alike will go nowhere.
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    The KAM86 frames were the best I have ever seen. Creating a Benchmark look alike will go nowhere.
    Did diamondlabs copy benchmark automag frames like they did spider frames?

I'm biased to the M86v1 for good reason. I designed it for myself. Then when people wanted it I had more made.

M86v1s aren't out of the picture but I would need enough preorders.

I'd like to see competion. But you will do better coming up with a original triggerframe than copying someone else's design.

Also concern for benchmark copy is you may not be able to make them for what the used benchmarks sell for. Especially with where aluminum prices have gone this month. Although they are starting to come down.
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

This is a good idea, but as others have said, I also think that in order to sell well, your frame would need to be somehow different than the offerings we already have. Or it would have to be cheaper. For example....

There was a guy a while back who did a "skinny" Autococker frame on MCB that was very interesting. It was basically an aluminum copy of a carbon fiber frame (but made for Autocockers). It was only 1/2" thick, it was sold raw or black, and he was able to sell them for less than $100 new. Something like that could maybe sell for Automags. A direct copy of the carbon fiber frames we already have, but made from aluminum so it could be anodized. Nothing fancy. Just a proven design that lots of people already want.

You could also consider copying something else besides a Benchmark frame. What about a copy of a CZ-75 frame (or another popular handgun or rifle)? It's different enough from everything else out there, and if you used the same hole pattern for the grips (but make everything else AGD spec), then it would be easy to find grips.

Another idea is to copy a Dye frame. The PM5 frame is one of the most popular non-AGD frames (probably because of the famous Armada Mag), but they are difficult to mod well. If your machinist could make a version that was AGD spec, however, that would be cool. And again, it would be easy to find grips if it's based on a Dye frame. Or a Planet Eclipse frame. Or whatever.

I'm just spit-balling here...trying to offer ideas. I've thought about this a lot myself, but never had the resources to do anything about it. So I wish you all the best luck. However, if your plan is to make a direct copy of the Benchmark, maybe change the safety, and then try to sell them for $250 each, I don't see that working, sadly. You need to do something....else.

I'm all for Single Trigger Frames but I would not emulate the Benchmark Frame. The safety is pretty much uniformly hated (I like safeties but the more typical push type used on other markers). What I would really love to see is an aluminum version of the CF frame. On a Mag I prefer the feel of the CF frame but would prefer it to be in aluminum.

^If you have Facebook search the AGD groups for Fabrice who is the man behind Meteor based in France. He released exactly that - aluminum CF-style frames that take single-hole AND 2-hole 45 grips - last summer for less than $100! He sold them all and is open to the idea of making more, but who knows when that may happen. However, he still has a few of a special version which include a full handguard beneath the single trigger guard.

Thank you all for your feedback. At this time, I have decided not to move forward with production. The cost per unit came back higher than anticipated and I don’t see a price model with a decent margin to make it worth my time that the market would support.

The feedback has been great though. I have to confess I am surprised at the preference for a carbon frame versus the benchmark style frame. We never really cared for the carbon frames and felt the BM frames gave a better feel to the trigger. Also , made the trigger feel lighter. I will say the safety was terrible and we removed them before installing. Thanks gang!

Keep in mind there are issues with those frames. A true 45 frame to agd specs with a nice comfy trigger like the ones on the Benchmarks would be a good idea IMO.