Thread: Looking to get into hunting

Looking to get into hunting

Anyone a deer hunter? I’ve always wanted to and have been pouring through research to get myself started. I’m almost set on the model rifle I’d like to get (bolt action, Bergara B14), but am open to other ideas.

I’m trying to pick out a good caliber, so looking for anyone’s experience. The one I’m eyeing right now is 7mm08. But not being a consistent real steel shooter, I’m also not up to speed on availability of ammunition, which seems pretty expensive now.

So, what’s a good caliber, in your experience?

Recommended equipment for beginners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Lots to cover ,, where ya huntin ? 100 yrds or 500 yrds ? My woods hunter is a Model 70 in 270 , fields & powerlines is my dads 300 Savage ,, the rifle is relative to the shooter & the game

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
    Lots to cover ,, where ya huntin ? 100 yrds or 500 yrds ? My woods hunter is a Model 70 in 270 , fields & powerlines is my dads 300 Savage ,, the rifle is relative to the shooter & the game
    Ooh, good question, Hank. I was hoping you were going to jump in.

Right now, out west in CA. From what I can tell, most shots end up in the 200-300 yard range across low brush or scrub and can be across draws/valleys. I'm not really interested (right now) in anything beyond 400. Not a hard pass, I just don't think I would be there yet as an ethical shooter just yet. I know I'll need lots of practice shooting. Black tail deer are the pray here, but I would like something that would also take white tail and mule deer.

At some point, we will probably end up back in Florida, which would more than likely require a change in arms, or at least another option. I think if I were to get back to Florida, I'd like to add pigs to the mix.

Also, my philosophy on hunting would be for filling the freezer, not the wall.

Bergara has had some quality problems the last couple years. the Ruger American rifle and the Winchester bolt action have had decent reviews. if your looking for a rifle that is not off the rack check out Christensen. As for caliber the 6.5 creedmore or the Nosler would be excellent for deer and pigs. if you want an older cartridge the .270 or .308 would both be acceptable then there is the tried and true .06.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    Bergara has had some quality problems the last couple years. the Ruger American rifle and the Winchester bolt action have had decent reviews. if your looking for a rifle that is not off the rack check out Christensen. As for caliber the 6.5 creedmore or the Nosler would be excellent for deer and pigs. if you want an older cartridge the .270 or .308 would both be acceptable then there is the tried and true .06.
    What's been the availability of the 6.5CM? I keep hearing that it's really hard to get. my local shops are having a hard time getting it as well. I'm looking to stay short action, so I was looking at 7mm08, 308, and maybe the 6.5CM.

See, I didn't want to get in to discussions of rifles because then I'll start going down rabbit holes But I hadn't seen a lot of reviews that had issues with the Bergaras, quite the opposite actually. There is something about a nice walnut stock and blued finished barrel. I had not really entertained Christensen because the ones I saw on Gunbroker in my bolt action search were more than I wanted to spend (>$2000). trying to stay at or below $1K for the rifle. I know I'll have to pick up an optic (whole other topic), sling, and lots of ammo.

I am not a hunter but I am into firearms. If I were to begin deer hunting today (I have considered it a few times) I would get a Winchester Model 70 in 30.06. I am looking to get my first Henry so possible a 308 Win. I love the story surrounding the Henry Repeating Arms Company.

Most likely my next purchase will be a Henry 45-70, then possibly an FN 57.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Loguzzzzzz View Post
    I am not a hunter but I am into firearms. If I were to begin deer hunting today (I have considered it a few times) I would get a Winchester Model 70 in 30.06. I am looking to get my first Henry so possible a 308 Win. I love the story surrounding the Henry Repeating Arms Company.

Most likely my next purchase will be a Henry 45-70, then possibly an FN 57.

Just my $0.02
    Hell yeah! I've been eyeing the Henry X models as a later purchase. I figure I need:
    - bolt action rifle
    - lever action rifle
    - AR-15
    - 9mm carry pistol (leaning towards a CZ over Glock)

this rabbit hole has no bottom.....

Quote Originally Posted by zondo View Post
    Anyone a deer hunter? I’ve always wanted to and have been pouring through research to get myself started. I’m almost set on the model rifle I’d like to get (bolt action, Bergara B14), but am open to other ideas.

I’m trying to pick out a good caliber, so looking for anyone’s experience. The one I’m eyeing right now is 7mm08. But not being a consistent real steel shooter, I’m also not up to speed on availability of ammunition, which seems pretty expensive now.

So, what’s a good caliber, in your experience?

Recommended equipment for beginners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Start on a bow, trust me it'll make your first kill that much more memorable.

-Brett-
    68 Automag Classic, ReTro valve, Lvl. 10, 16" Dye Boomstick, AGD chrome Intelliframe, Shocktech black cradle, Air America Armegeddon 114/4500, Smartparts gadget grip

A.N.S. GX-3 Autococker,Eclipse swing frame, Air America Messiah Reg.

AO Feedback: https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1521330

Bagged my first deer when I was 9 years old, using a Savage .243 lever action. In Modoc County CA, overlooking the upper alkali lake.
    You never forget your first.

I was taught that firearms are tools. You want the right tool for the job.
    Hunting pheasants who don't move until you step on them, a semi 20 Ga. is fine.
    Hunting duck or geese that may be higher up in the air, a 12 Ga. is better. (pump or semi)
    Hunting deer and other big game, you need to consider the terrain. Open grassland/plains, high chaparral I'd use a 30.30 or 30.06. Longer range I prefer the Remington 7mm Magnum.
    Where I live now, it's all thick woods and lots of undergrowth. I don't need range since line of sight is only 100 yards or so, but I do want stopping power and I find a Ruger .44 Mag carbine to be ideal.

There's more to consider. If you are just getting into it there are steps to take after you kill it. Gutting a deer in the field is not something you should try without seeing it done properly first, if you rupture the bladder it can poison the meat. Hanging a deer to drain the blood, they make stretchers to hold the legs, and you need a spot to hang it. (that won't upset the neighbors) Then you get to butchering. It's a messy business, but it's still easier than plucking feathers or gutting birds (I used to hate that part ~ cut the bird from butthole to breastbone, then reach in with two fingers and yank).
    CT Co-ordinator, Paintball Marshals

ok, i'm with you i like a wood stock and blued steel but for hunting a laminated stock is better. for a hunting rifle that is not going to get shot that much one of the cheaper models might serve you just fine. As for Bergara a guy i shoot trap with bought one 3 or 4 years ago and couldn't get it to shoot as good as he wanted so he sent it back and they worked on it but it still was not what he expected and he sold it. he is a prairie dog shooter and if he can't get a 1 hole group at 100 yards he is unhappy. he said he did some searching and several people at that time were not happy with the quality they had gotten at that time. you need to handle as many as you can and see what you like.

as for caliber the shine has not left the creedmore after 4 or 5 years now, it is probably the hottest cartridge on the market and demand is outstripping supply. I would go with the 308 as i believe that the ammo companies are only making what has been the traditional best sellers along with whatever is the hot new cartridge of the time and 308 seems to be easier to find than the creedmore and i don't remember the last box of 7mm08 i saw.

do not scrimp on the scope. the best glass is made in Japan and Germany and the scopes using that glass are superior to all other but are more expensive.

then there is all the variables like Pyrate Jim mentioned about cleaning and processing your game, clothing, tree stands, cover scents, range finders etc.

keep doing your research, check and see if any of your peers or personnel hunt and can give you pointers.

in the end buy what makes you happy and confident otherwise there will always be that what if in the back of your head.

one thing i forgot last night, read up on proper barrel break in procedure and decide if you want to go that route. Most deer hunters have never heard of it and the ones that have almost never do it. it is tedious, time consuming and with today's prices expensive as you will need an extra 2 or 3 boxes of ammo. the other thing is practice, shoot as much as you can before hunting season to learn your rifle and ammo and how to read wind at longer distances.

local wally world had 13 boxes of 308 ammo this afternoon, 2 different federal and remington.

I whitetail hunt here in texas. I currently have a 270, 30-30 and 308. My 270 is a Remington Model 700. Many different brands use the 700 style action so many aftermarket options out there. 30-30 is a lever action. My 308 is a Bergara (has the 700 style action) and is by far my favorite shooting rifle I have. 270 is a flat shooter. 6.5 Creedmoor is a really flat shooter as well at distance. Both will have plenty of power to knock down a deer. Heck, I shot my first deer with a .222 and a 22-250. Dropped them in it's tracks.
    JB
    Aggie Class of '09

Found this on caliber, cartridge, and pricing. I really enjoy his reviews and discussions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR3GZXUkPTQ