Thread: BW Twistlock Automag Barrel Detents

BW Twistlock Automag Barrel Detents

Well since it is #magmonday...... Why don't we release some BW Twistlock detents into the wild.

These are still being tested by beta users. I have several users with multiple cases on a single detent using 0.680" paint with forcefed loaders. Still waiting on a shot count till failure, but that could be some time off. Hoping to get these in the hands of guys that plan to use them and provide feedback.

$15 out the door for a pack of 4 via paypal goods and services. Only 17 sets currently available.
    Pm for paypal email.

Be sure to give me a like and check out the youtube channel.

Current Review/ Beta test:
    https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forum/p...ing#post288866​

Ha, for years I have been wanting someone to retrofit or make new a tippmann style detent for other things.

Granted, I don't use this locks but the benefit I see is that the old plastic AGD detents are great, never seen on break but with paint shrinking having a finger there to give more with be a benefit.

Good luck with these. Anyone with a twist lock barrel(s) should pick up a set of these, regardless.

Thanks man, it seems like testing is going well. Have several people with 2+ cases on theirs using a mix of level 10 and level 7 bolts. Would love for someone to give me a shot count until failure, but no idea how long that may take, but i guess we will see.

Jake if you want to send me a few for testing I'll do a mechanical test on them. I can give you a fairly accurate shot count using the machine RPM's to calculate from. It would be a easy test and we can repeat the process to verify the numbers across a few parts.

T-Rex and LPR Testing
    https://lukescustoms.com/uploads/3/5...test_1_111.mp4

Or you can make you a similar paddle and do them yourself. This is how I made it, this one has roller bearings.

Name:  IMG_5737.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5740.JPG
Views: 454
Size:  73.9 KB

ah interesting. Once i get the next batch together i will drop some in the mail to you. probably easier and faster than me trying to make one of those. That is cool though for sure. I like it.

Sounds good, should be an easy setup and test to run. How far does the detent sit into the barrel? I'll want the paddle to hit the detent in the same spot as a paintball would.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Sounds good, should be an easy setup and test to run. How far does the detent sit into the barrel? I'll want the paddle to hit the detent in the same spot as a paintball would.
    I don't have a good pic on hand, but Eric has a good pic on mcb. (https://www.mcarterbrown.com/forum/p...ing#post289283)

I think i totally brain farted when i first read your post i thought you were going to use air and just let it shoot. Now that i reread you plan to use a similar setup and act as the ball shooting. correct?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Maybe I can get video too, if it's any good I can email it to you to put on your youtube channel.
    That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by captian pinky View Post
    I think i totally brain farted when i first read your post i thought you were going to use air and just let it shoot. Now that i reread you plan to use a similar setup and act as the ball shooting. correct?
    Setting it up in a marker and firing it like what's in the video would work but it would be hard to see when the detent failed.

What I was thinking is setting up the detent in a small vise and use the paddle to simulate what's happening inside the breech. That way the process can be timed in order to calculate the strikes it will take to break it. The test is based on time (ie start to failure duration) Machine RPM converted to RPS (revolutions per second) times the number of paddles on the actuator arm (x2) It's pretty straight forward.

If we want to get real technical and you know someone with video editing tools, they could pin point the 'start to failure' time more accurately than I can with the naked eye. We can still get close especially with the more tests we do. I would imagine we're after an average because I'm not sure how good printers are at repeatability (cnc machining term)

I'll just install one in a barrel to get the measurement for the 'stick out'

We did a sound wave test on the video above and I was within '1' (IIRC) for the cycles per second, that just verified my RPM rating on the knee mill motor is pretty much spot on..

That sounds like it would be easy to verify the failure and pretty easy to repeat too. Thanks.

That sounds like it would be easy to verify the failure
    Either mechanical test will work, whether I did it in the marker or separate from the marker as I had intended, that said it will be easier to see the break not using the whole marker, plus it will be a quicker and easier setup on the mill. In the end I dont think this type of setup will affect the test.

and pretty easy to repeat too.
    What I meant here by 'repeating' is how well your printer will make the same part over and over again across hundreds or thousands of parts(?) If you have one detent that lasted 5,000 cycles and the next is good for 50,000 that would not rate as good repeatability in my book.

I was referring to the repeating the test across several parts vs repeatability of the part, but i think we are on the same page.

So I ran two mechanical tests on the BW detents an find them to be an extremely solid product, so solid that I couldn't within a reasonable amount of time find a failure point.

The first test was ran at 660 RPMs for 20 minutes (22 cycles per second) which is 26,400 cycles total.
    For the second test I maxed out the knee mill at 2720 RPMs (90.67 cycles per second) for 20 minutes which is 108,800 cycles total.

After testing I inspected them with a magnifying glass and did not see any indication of stress cracks or wear at all, in fact they still looked brand new.

Here's a few pictures showing how I setup the tests

Name:  IMG_5794.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5797.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  122.6 KB
    Last edited by luke; 07-17-2022 at 11:12 AM.