Thread: Automag occasionally makes a psst sound when trigger pulled, does not fire a ball

Automag occasionally makes a psst sound when trigger pulled, does not fire a ball

Automag
    Level 10 bolt with gold spring
    Smart parts magic box
    Smart parts 8 hole mod
    Docs single detent autococker adapter
    Left feed body milled for magic box
    Grip Styx double trigger frame
    Sear rod length 1.985
    On off pin .750 long
    Was rebuilt with agd rebuild kit
    Ninja tank 68 4500

I was playing woodsball last weekend and the gun would stop firing mid shooting. It would do a psst sound when pulled. I thought it was working fine the weekend before. Any ideas on where I should start looking?

When my L10 was seizing a bit like that I tightened the field strip screw just a touch with an Allen key and it lined the internals up and stopped binding. No guarantees, but worked for me.

Sounds like a bolt stick issue. In a level 10, it is usually caused by a carrier that is too tight. Make sure you test the carrier size with all the powertube shims removed. They will alter the sealing edge location and cause leaking that will make you think you need a tighter carrier and it will end up being too tight.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by CFEL08 View Post
    When my L10 was seizing a bit like that I tightened the field strip screw just a touch with an Allen key and it lined the internals up and stopped binding. No guarantees, but worked for me.
    Thank you. I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Sounds like a bolt stick issue. In a level 10, it is usually caused by a carrier that is too tight. Make sure you test the carrier size with all the powertube shims removed. They will alter the sealing edge location and cause leaking that will make you think you need a tighter carrier and it will end up being too tight.

I tried with shims removed and smallest carrier. Still has a faint leak that comes and goes. Does that mean the carrier oring for the bolt is bad? I don't think I ordered that oring.

Did you tighten the field strip screw a bit with a wrench? Alignment issues will cause binding (as previously stated) and can cause a leak too.

Is bushing present in rail?

Is there a credit card thickness gap between trigger rod and back of trigger when aired up?
    Last of the Salzburg Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Mechwoodsball1 View Post
    I tried with shims removed and smallest carrier. Still has a faint leak that comes and goes. Does that mean the carrier oring for the bolt is bad? I don't think I ordered that oring.
    You want the largest carrier that does not produce a leak. Some of the newer carrier orings require a tighter carrier than some people have. You should keep a couple of orings on hand just in case you get a piece of dirt in a critical oring.

Is there any wear on your sear tip? That can cause the bolt to sit farther forward which will alter the sealing position of the carrier oring on the bolt stem and cause the vent hole to be exposed.