Thread: My baby's sick- intermittent firing RTP

My baby's sick- intermittent firing RTP

Here's my problem. I've got an RT Pro with Warp mainbody, LX and Intelli. At the last outing, it would fire for a string, then stop working completely. Trigger pulled, nothing happening. I swapped out the RTP valve assembly with a Micromag RT LX valve assembly and everything was fine.

I swapped the valves back this evening to take a look, and same situation. Micromag valve fires, RTP valve does not. I did discover that there is a 1/16" gap between the valve and the mainbody. If I push the RTP valve assembly forward with my hand (1/32", resulting in a 1/32" gap between the mainbody and the valve), I can fire as long as I don't stop shooting. Soon as I stop and pull the trigger again, no shooting.

I've tried messing with the tightness of the field strip screw (not that it would make too much of a difference, but it made me feel better) to no avail. Lubing the system made no difference, either. I'm thinking something in the on-off assembly (bottom or pin), but I'm not certain. Anyone able to offer suggestions as to a possible fix?

Thanks,
    Charles

Gotta bump until I get an answer. Thanks for the patience.

Charles

Measure the on/off pins in the two valves. If there's a difference, that might be the problem. If there is, try switching the on/off pin out of the MicroMag assembly into the RTP assembly and give that a try.

The gap inbetween the valve and the body is normal. Sometimes the tightness on the field strip screw does affect if the gun will fire or not. I'm not sure what causes this, I've only seen it on a couple guns, but it does happen.

If the on/off swap doesn't work, try swapping the whole assembly and if that doesn't work try swapping the bolts.

Are you using the same bolt spring on both valves?

I swapped the on-off pins and that did the trick. The RTP pin is .734. the Micro pin is .765. Funny thing, I dropped the RTP pin in the Micro and it worked. I could sweet spot the trigger a lot easier than before.

Looks like I'm buying a new on-off pin.

Thanks for the help,
    Charles

That's one short pin! The shortest pin that I've seen was on the z-valve. RTP pins are suppose to be .765. How did yours get so short? All I can think how the pin got so short is that the sear ate away at the pin. Also congrats on getting married!

I honestly don't know how the pin got so short. I bought the gun used, so it's possible that the previous owner (said he was a tourney player) machined the pin down a bit to be able to sweet spot easier. Weird thing, I was messing around with it tonight and tightened the field strip screw a whole bunch and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the wedding wishes.

Charles

Ok, I'm back to having problems with the RTP. I went to the Red Alert scenario game this afternoon and got 1 game in with the RTP and short pin. Went out for a walk-on game and the RTP died. Swapped out the pin with the Micro and ran into the same problems as listed before. Swapped out the entire on-off assembly and *still* had problems. I finished out the day with the Micro valve in the RTP.

So, it looks like it's not the on-off pin/assembly.

The curious thing, I never had these problems until I put a Warp Left mainbody on the RTP. I haven't tried the old PF mainbody to do some troubleshooting.

For the time being, it looks like I'm going to take the Warp and Intelli off of the RTP, stick them on the Micro and send the RTP in for service. I'm at my wits end, especially when I go on and on about how reliable the RT is vs. my buddy's Cocker and have to eat crow when the RT goes down.

Charles

Maybe its as simple as your o-ring carrier being one size too tight in your rtp valve.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

If you're going to have an I-Frame on there, you might as well send it in with it. That way they can tune it exactly to the trigger frame and everything.