Thread: Remove bottle from Flatline...

Remove bottle from Flatline...

I have an early 68/4500 Flatline, with an ACI-Bulldog/Luxfer bottle. I would like to switch it with the long 88/4500 that I have on my Mac Dev Conquest. The only problem is, the bottle on the Flatline is hella-tight!

Question, anyone REALLY know if the bottle is loc-tited to the reg, or is it just screwed on real tight. I don't want to damage the threads.

Thanks

i just did this today for a friend
    what i reomend gettign a strap wrenchand also a kapp dropzone adapter remove the regs burst disks and fill niple and guage and then either find one thing to clamp it or put it in a vise but pad it and then ettempt to un screw it
    i know its breif but it took me a half an hour to f- with it to get it off so just try diffrent thing then it may or may not work
    MY SIG RULZ

GOOD TRADERS: openboater, muirtach, abaez, TAW, Kevmaster, irbodden, reneirwolf878, Lakeview Bulldog, Willie Fattballz, snakestang, xXhAppyAznXx, Lee, SpongeBobSquarePants, Toakes22, fire1811, SpawnBoy icantbeliveit, jaded t, Carpecerevisi, Have Blue, blazingace, Souprman, shwerp, bgdaddy599, Mossman, Dragoon, Goldie D Pimp, Remington

Very Bad traders. Negifo( TOTAL FRAUD $250.00)

Thanks for the reply...

So, you removed a bottle from a 68/4500 Flatline, and the threads were not loc-tited???

Threads from the factory are NOT loctited.

Thanks, guys. I'll remove the tank @ work, someday this week.

I put the reg in a 3-jaw lathe chuck (mounted on a lathe, of course), with brass shims to protect the reg from scratches and lock the spindle. Then I have a strap wrench to turn the bottle. I also remove all the gauges, fill nipple & burst disc.

My LX E-Mag uses a lot of air, and we often only get fills to 3k. I want more air, plus I like the extra length the long 88ci tank I have will give me.

Try using a little heat.

Use a heatgun (not flames, that resin is combustable), and heat the bottle near the reg.

Just get it warm to the touch (about body temp, or a little hotter), and then turn (unscrew) the bottle off.

Don't get it too hot, as the resin holding the fiber together will start to break down.

This will work even if your bottle isn't loctited, because the tank expands aroung the reg nipple, making it a looser fit momentarily. This is why you only heat the bottle. If the reg heats up at the same rate, it will keep the connection just as tight.

Good luck with your conversion.

BTW, if you have something Loctited together, and you want to take it apart without damaging it, use this method.

Loctite breaks down at around 120 or so deg F, so you just heat it up, and it lets go.

Later