Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Lasoya banned from Pan-Am

Originally posted by luke
    To add to this statement, I'm fairly certain there isn't a over shooting rule either.
    Well, I'll retract my statement. There may be no actual grounds to ban or penalise either player. However, I certainly believe there should be. Until sportsmanship is somehow rewarded and unsportsman like conduct is penalised consistently, paintball doesn't stand a chance of being a mainstream activity. Indeed better, more tightly enforced, rules would limit the amount of wild speculation about unsportsmanlike behaviour and cheating that is currently lobbed about in situations like this.

I have never played a tournament and I doubt that I really want to. However, one of the most comic and hypocritical things I've seen at tournaments is the whole check the flag carrier before they hang the flag to win thing. If anybody on the team leaves the field with a hit the penalty should be severe. Why is it not allowable for a hit player to hang the flag, but allowable for a hit player to hand the flag off to another player for the points? In such a situation, even one player cought playing on at the end of the game should incur a penalty that eliminates the gain of the flag hang and more.

In Lasoya's case, the unsportsmanlike behaviour of both players should be punishable. The bunkered player for playing on and Lasoya for????. I'm not sure. I suppose to really be against what Lasoya did, ther has to be rule changes concerning eliminations and more specifically concerning bunkering. Refs should be quick to call bunkered players out. But there has to be some control over situations in which concussions and serious injury are possible.

And the other guy did take 3 hits to the head after he was already out and Chris new it. He took them because he was apparently playing on and shooting back after he was eliminated... now it's still wrong for Chris to have done that...
    I don't agree that it is wrong for Chris to have done that. If you've read my opinions on overshooting and bonus balling, you know that I am dead set against it. However, by continuing to play the other player was NOT eliminated. He was still IN the game. I would have shot him until he (or a ref) signaled his elimination. I hate playing on after your hit as much as overshooting and bonus balling.

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

WOW he makes 6 million to act like that,ill never buy any of Reds stuff, if he is on the team,he is a poor example,I dont like the guy anyway, now I hate him,he cheats and now he could have killed that guy.
    Great represenitive of the sport.
    A Hole

As i said in my earlier post i am new among you....i do not know the parties involved, but the fact our sport can have so much in-fighting over this incident, no matter who's story you choose to believe or even what truly occurred is one of the true reasons our sport is struggling so to make it in main-stream popularity...perhaps we need to work toward one true governing body as a sport...look at boxing and all the crap that can and does happen from multiple agencies stipulating rules and "standings"...does chris lasoya deserve some sort of punishment from paintball? maybe....but only if it can be proven that he violated the rules of the game.....as a rec ball player that has played in a few very minor tournaments i have observed one of the most lacking things can be sportsmanship...that thing which you can not force an individual to practice but which makes a sport so much more enjoyable.....in closing......CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

It happens, sometimes you'll take someone out and they get so steamed about being shot out that they keep right on going, even when they're looking through a lens painted in bright orange goo.

And there are times when adrenaline poisoning takes over the player doesn't feel the hit, even when the ball hits bare skin and leaves a bloody welt the size of a peach.

The problem is 90% of the game is on the honor system, unfortunately a majority of the pro players out there are less then honorable and will cheat their way to the top as much as you allow them to get away with.

We have two choices here, 1) we invent extremely harsh rules to help prevent such occurances from happening or 2) we change the technology the players use.

How about something along the lines as the scoring mechanism in fencing? When a hit is scored, the opponents foil cannot register a hit. Do something similar, ref controlled. Imagine a field with 20 players and 20 refs, 1 ref assigned to a player. Each player has an electronic marker with a remote kill switch that is controled by the ref assigned to the planer in question. Ref watches that player implicitly, and not anyone else on the field. The second that player is visibly hit, the ref hits the kill switch which disables the players marker. Said kill switch could be infra red or radio based for short range control and coded so it only works with a specific marker ID and nothing else to prevent inadvertantly disabling the wrong marker.

A player goes on a bunker run, he's got at least two refs watching him and his target very closely, both have the means to control how much fire power is applied and limit it if necessary to maintain safty. If they are the only two players on the field, the moment one it hit both refs can disable both markers.

-Evil Bob

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.
    There's an old phrase.

"Ther's three sides to every story. Yours, Mine, and the Truth."

I believe that in this case, the "truth" is somewhere in the middle. Did LaSoya put 12 into the kids melon, or only 1? Was it retaliation or punishment? The truth is that we will never know. A hand full of people were there, and so far nobody has spoken up.

That being said, again it seems that it's easier to make excuses than it is to make it right. When it's all said and done, nothing will happen either way, and the game will go on. I mean, we could sit here and name names of pro players who have cheated on video tape without repricussion until the metaphorical cows come home, but in the end, it's all meaningless. Until there's accountability, ther's no reason or anyone to care. And, so far, no league, sponsor, or team has made any effort to incorporate any ammount of accountability for a players actions on, or off, the field. So much for "professionalisim". Accusatoins of what did, or did not, happen will continue as long as there's no accountability.

(Please tell me that makes sense...)

So, back to topic, did LaSoya overreact? Possibly. Whatever happened, he was banned, correct? If this is the case, WHATEVER happend warranted a lifetime ban. That, if it's true, speaks volumes more than accusations and allegances.

-Tyger (Stirring up the pot, I know, but what does it matter? It's not like JT will drop him any time soon...)
    Last edited by Tyger; 03-15-2003 at 03:08 AM.

"Oh, you're wearing a tail and ears, you're a freak."
    "No social change has ever come about without freaks. Einstein was a freak. Ben Franklin was a freak. Martin Luther King was a freak. ...be proud to be included in those ranks."
    -2, The Ranting Gryphon

Well, if it went down as how he "claims"(which i doubt), then i don't think he overreacted at all. If i'm bunkering someone and they turn to shoot me after they're so obviously done, i'm going to put so many balls into him that he won't even have the chance. On the other hand, when you get bunkered, you're first instinct is to turn and shoot. Kinda like the surender rule. It's just a surprise that you don't always have time to think about. It really could go either way.

My opinion is that if he doesn't feel that he was judged right because of the situation, maybe he should have kept a better reputation as to his on field behavior. One could only assume that if you're a constant cheater or have numerous incidents that don't put you in a proper mind frame for the majority of your peers, any kind of situation is going to put you at the bottom of the barrel.
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...light=feedback

My girlfriend said that if i bought another paintball gun, she'd leave me........ I sure am going to miss her.

Originally posted by Tyger
    Until there's accountability, ther's no reason or anyone to care. And, so far, no league, sponsor, or team has made any effort to incorporate any ammount of accountability for a players actions on, or off, the field. So much for "professionalisim".
    Well said. And I agree.

Originally posted by hitech
    ...However, by continuing to play the other player was NOT eliminated. He was still IN the game. I would have shot him until he (or a ref) signaled his elimination. I hate playing on after your hit as much as overshooting and bonus balling.
    Assuming a Ref failed to call him out and he was shooting at me then that is what I would have assumed and done too. I would assume he was not out and fair game... I agree with that scenario.

Originally posted by silenttype
    WOW he makes 6 million to act like that,ill never buy any of Reds stuff, if he is on the team,he is a poor example,I dont like the guy anyway, now I hate him,he cheats and now he could have killed that guy.
    Great represenitive of the sport.
    A Hole
    Did you even read this whole thread or just the first post?

Originally posted by Tyger
    It's not like JT will drop him any time soon...)
    Tyger if you are going to stir the pot at least make sure it isn't out of date...

JT? What have they got to do with it? Chris is now running Miami Effect who are sponsored by Empire, Halo and V-force for their apparrel, hoppers and goggles...

I don't think they use any JT stuff at all...

Karma?

Interesting set of posts...it seems like from time to time this stuff keeps popping up. I may be an old belief, but I think Karma has something to do with this kind of stuff.

I don't think I would have ever seen this type of thread if Simon had been the guy on the field.

Pure fyi, lasoya has been banned from PanAm play for quite some time. The tournament you are talking about was not a PanAm event.

I do not know for sure what the ban was for but the most common story is, that it was for physical contact with a ref during an argument 5 years ago. It is a life long ban.

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.
    Originally posted by manike

Tyger if you are going to stir the pot at least make sure it isn't out of date...
    The company name is, basically, irrelavant. It's all the same industry. Nobody will ever create an air of accountability. Just watch. Salm will be playing for a JT team in no time.

To quote "The Who" : "Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

-Tyger