Thread: How did Classic Automags run on CO2 good back in the 90's but wont run good on it now

How did Classic Automags run on CO2 good back in the 90's but wont run good on it now

The Classic Automag came out around 1991, correct? Well I highly doubt that Nitro was available at all back then (or cheap), so the question is how did everyone back then run Automags on CO2 back then? I know the palmer stabalizer wasnt invented back then, so how did they manage to use CO2?

Becouse compressed air was born and put co2 to shame.
    Sig over 50k

Coiled SS braid, among other things in attempts to make it evaporate...

People don't really know how to set it up properly anymore.

That, and for the money you'd invest in the proper parts to run C02 nice, you can buy a small cheap HPA.

Expansion Chambers
    Regulators
    Remote Lines

Lots of good stuff. I used to run a dual 20oz remote expansion chambered mag. It gained no more consistency when I dumped it all for HPA.

I got my mag in 92 and at the same time got a proline remote setup with an expansion chamber on the back. So, the co2 expanded in the chamber (in my harness), while the braided ss let it expand a little too on the way to the mag. My mag runs fine with that setup. I now have a drop forward and when I tried to run the co2 it was putting liquid co2 in the mag (and leaked down the barrel). No problem since I use compressed air, but if I had to go back to co2 I would use my remote setup.
    My first paintball gun was a splatmaster
    PMI Piranha (pump)
    Black Widow
    Phantom
    F-1 Illustrator
    pf automag w/lx, x-valve, intelli
    Spyder Flash Lcd

Remote really helps because it keeps the bottle striaght thus not allowing any liquid to enter and also the long hose helps expand the gas. I used to run a remote to a palmers stabalizer and on a warm day it would shoot just about as good as HPA.

Yep, me too. I ran mine with a remote and an expansion chamber, shot great. Man I miss that old AIR valve.

I ran a 20oz bottle with anti-syphon which fed a 3.5oz bottle on the front mount for expansion and then went into the valve.

Ran fine in normal weather, but you could still get problems in winter.

Ditched CO2 for an Air America system in 1993 and never looked back. Scary to think that 10 years after air systems became widely available, people are still using CO2.

Originally posted by Gadget
    I ran a 20oz bottle with anti-syphon which fed a 3.5oz bottle on the front mount for expansion and then went into the valve.
    Ran the same set up and it STILL works great on my backup gun! I add a palmer stabilizer for winter and it works great in the cold.
    PROTECTING FREEDOM SINCE 1989

Battlegroup

I think the reason why people still use CO2 instead of Nitro is a couple of reasons. First of all, nitro can only be filled at Paintball stores. The closest paintball store is 20 miles from me, but luckily there is a sporting goods store about a mile away. 2nd of all, the tanks are expensive. Until Nitro tanks that are 50.00 or less, they wont be as popular as CO2. When I went to the local field, nearly everyone used CO2 with the exception of about 15 (out of 70).

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here... before I had compressed air, I ran a remote line with an expansion chamber to a reg. and thought my Mag was great. I also took a repair kit with me to the field each time just in case.

I think the point everyone is trying to make is, you can buy a 47ci Steel Nitro tank for about $65-75 and between a CO2 tank, the remote line, the expansion chamber, and possibly a stabilizer plus o-rings you'll spend way more with CO2.

Do you have any Scuba shops in your area? They can fill compressed air for you (at least mine does).

You should be able to have your tank filled from just about anyone with a large supply of compressed air and the proper fittings. Call around and ask, you might eve convince someone that there is enough business to begin offering a new service.

HTH

actually joe at my field had a gun he calls his "religious mag" he got it 13 years ago...it never ran very well on co2.
    My Mini-Mag:
    Red ULE Body
    X-valve
    Level 10 Bolt
    Itelliframe with "blade trigger"
    Silver gas through Grip with red grip
    Red Dead on "Pro-Style" 7.5 inch drop forward
    All-American Barrel with 10 inch AA front and 14 freak front
    Red "RIT" dyed eVolution II Loader
    68/4500 Center Flag tank with red Angel Air "Lok Sok"

maybe because I am in California I never had the cold weather problem, but if anyone knows the old folks at Unique paintball in Anaheim (Al and Rose etc.) they convinced me to do the remote and the expansion chamber and run all these fancy hoses here and there. Like a moron I paid for it. 6 moths later I got an anti ciphon on my 20oz c02 and viola!!! It struck me I was ripped off. Ok, I'm done.

ya Glenn Palmer swears by co2...
    but he also lives in Cali....
    he probably doesn't play much in Buffalo...
    especially with a mag
    it could be a cool summer morning and our mags would freeze up on co2
    i went hpa and have never looked back.
    TheDuelist "The problem is that Tom has developed the VW Beetle of the paintball industry. It's almost too good to change and far too reliable."

oh, the old days...

I used to rock the automag with the Air America Whispering Death exp chamber- that thing was awesome.
    sigs are overrated.