Thread: can emags run off 2, 9vlt. batts?

can emags run off 2, 9vlt. batts?

well, can an emag run off 2 nine volt batteries? ive read it can, but i trust people here more then pbreview.com under product description.

Voltage wise yes, but the mAH will be less. In short the (2) 9volts in series will not last very long..

how long will they last?

I don't know I've never had the need to try it. If I were you either make your own battery pack or just buy a new one. Also I'm not shure what the maximum voltage the emag board can handle.

You can cycle the emag using the 2 - 9v batteries in series. You won't be able to cycle at high rates of fire. The batteries cannot deliver the sustained current required to do this.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas
    You can cycle the emag using the 2 - 9v batteries in series. You won't be able to cycle at high rates of fire. The batteries cannot deliver the sustained current required to do this.

Would adding a capacitor help?

Capacitors are great at delivering current very quickly. If the total cycle time between shots is 50ms (20sps) then you could reduce the load on the battery to 30% based on a 15ms dwell. It gets even better as the shots per second goes down. It would definately help, but without doing the math I'm not sure by how much or what the proper value of capacitor should be. Overall, the total capacity of the battery will be much less than the emag battery so you will get much fewer shots.

I also haven't looked at the C rating of a 9v battery lately. I can't remember what is the output rated at? Even with the capacitor, it will determine the upper limit of the sustained rate of fire that you can achieve. It still might be quite low.