Thread: pressure on trigger causing leak

Newton, MA :) (Moved, but still a Boston boy!)

pressure on trigger causing leak

I got a strange Minimag problem, I have the XValve and Intelliframe and never encountered this problem until I put the Intelliframe in. If I put very slight pressure on the trigger, I hear a "hssssssssss" (steady leak) coming down the breach and through the barrel. This problem did not exist before with my single trigger. If I am shooting a string of balls and don't let go of the trigger cleanly and have slight pressure on it, it will do the same.

Now I know Mags pretty well, I know it must be that the sear is starting to move down and it must be that the bolt is moving forward enough to let the XValve start venting. The air dies down after a few seconds, meaning the on/off pin is not the problem because no additional air is flowing in. The problem is if the air goes down enough the first ball will only make it half way down the barrel. So severe dropoff and when ball #2 is shot you can imagine the mess in my barrel I'm left with.

My question is whether or not this is a common Mag problem, an Intelliframe problem thats been reported before, and RT Valve problem, or maybe it's a Level 10 problem related to too many or not enough shims? As I said, my gun will fire fine if I pull cleanly on the last shot. But if I am moving up and have my finger on the trigger I don't want to worry about making a bunker move and being left with no air. This problem is really irritating because that's happened to me already once and don't want it to happen again.

I would be willing to bet if you redo the shimming on the LX it will solve it. take a shim away or add one(I cant remember which way makes the venting start later) it sounds like your bolt is on the ragged edge of just barely sealing so when you put a little pressure on the trigger the bolt starts to leak.

Newton, MA :) (Moved, but still a Boston boy!)

maybe

That could very well be it, I didn't have this problem until recently when I got my Intelliframe and retuned my whole setup. It could just be a coincidence timewise. I will definitely do that once I get the new ULE body. My mag is literally sitting in my room useless because of the bodies not being available and my old one being sold.

If anyone else has ideas about what could be causing it or experienced a similar thing please let me know. That strange leak messed me over so many times and is something I got to solve. Thanks!

I had this problem with my level 10. What I had done was over tightened the power tube tip. So I just loosened it a touch. If that doesn’t fix it I would say redo the shimming.

Remove a shim or two and it should be fine.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.