Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Legal & Illegal cheating technique?

Planet Earth. More than that is debatable.

What is your favorite Legal & Illegal cheating technique?

Now you clicked it. You're in trouble now.

But this is an extention to the last mega post, but I'll keep this shorter. See, I'm noticing that players are REEALLY enjoying pushing hte rules up to, ten beyond, the breaking point. So, I figured I'd open a thread SPECIFICALLY to talk about that.

Now what I'm talking about are the "Legal" cheats, and the ones that are blatantly "Illegal". And I use "Favorite" with tongue deeply imbedded in cheek, eyes rolling to the heavens, and sarcasm meter off the scale. Please take as such.

Legal : Stuff that isn't against the rules, but is against the spirit and intent of what's in print.

My "favorites" include wearing a jersey specifically to match the fill color of the paint. Wearing a jerey made of MESH to hide hits. Wearing a jersey meant to fit me when you're supposed to be in a size "SMALL". Yeah, there's a lot of ways that clothing can be abused. I'm just thankful that the oversized knee and shin guard has fallen out of fashion.

But I think the most intresting is the "DYE" combo. You get one of the "DYE" undergarments with the padded chest and shoulders, and a DYE jersey with padded shoulders and forearms. I'm impressed that you can get away with it. It just reminds me that the first game of paintball was played with a clothing rule preventing "Excessive padding" like neoprene or FOAM...

I've got more pet peeves, but for now, I'll stick to these.

Illegal : Stuff the rule books say you can not do

Wiping isn't creative, but what I've seen some people do IS. I think the 360 barrel roll / superman slide is still the most impressive wipe ever. Full tilt sprint, he gets hit on the run. He supermans into the bunker, and while skidding he rolls his entire body, pretty much touching every surface along the ground as he did so. That took talent.

I also can 'appreciate' the guy who tries to beat the chrony. I remember one day when this guy had paintball slime in his barrel, loosened the barrel, carried a wrench ON him, AND put hte barrel behind hte chrony by 5 inches! There's a true "winner". Poor bloke had to re-chrony 10 times until I was satisfied he was done.

Share and Enjoy

-Tyger

PS : Thread intent is to get out into the open the stuff we "all" talk about, but nobody has ever really made a stand about. I'd like to see the world know about this stuff, so that we can all change the status quo as it is. That's kinda what AO is about, change the world, one bit at a time...

"Oh, you're wearing a tail and ears, you're a freak."
    "No social change has ever come about without freaks. Einstein was a freak. Ben Franklin was a freak. Martin Luther King was a freak. ...be proud to be included in those ranks."
    -2, The Ranting Gryphon

LOL Tyger, you up early or just still up?
    I dont cheat, but I learned how to shoot and think, and in some cases that can get ya accused of cheating

Still up. Why?

Thing is that after this weekend, I'm sick and tired of the "Dirty little secrets" of paintball being swept under the rug. I hate it wehn some kids show up who think they know the "coolest underhanded secret" and try to use it against ME. And why? To win against a guy who's lived thorugh the evolution of the stunt?

Also it's an outlet for the rest of us to vent. It's rather theraputic, really.

Keep in mind I don't play with cheaters, and I've walked away from rec-games because of this fact. I'm mostly venting from this weekend. It really torqued me off. I mean REALLY torqued me off. It's not often I've told a field owner to his face that I would never enter his establishment again, then give an itemised list outlining WHY I would not come back.

It's time we the players took the game back from cheaters and other riff-raff...

-Tyger

"Legal"
    I've always like the Turtle Wax on the gun, hopper, etc. Pam spray on the clothing - jersey, pants, etc. Rain-Ex on the Mask. All with the intention of making it easier to wipe... Pam is illegal in ANY organized football, why not specifically mention it in the Paintball Rule Books?

Otherwise, I like the running with the hand in front of the goggles, sliding off hits (not really illegal) - I'll explain if someone needs me to...

EDIT: I'm not saying I condone ony of these, just that I fond some of them humorous. I don't use Rain-Ex, TurtleWax or Pam personally. However, if I'm hit on the break, I'm not going to stop mid-run for a paintcheck. If I slide into my bunker and find no paint, I don't consider that cheating.

Later ~ Dave
    Last edited by Jonesie; 02-10-2004 at 08:51 AM.
    David M. Jones
    AO Member #1111 - Formerly davej946
    Member of Team AO, MGO 2003

Wildfire :: Division III X-Ball
    www.wildfirepaintball.com

Supported by:
    Wildfire Paintball
    Nelson Paintballs

This is an easy one. I do not cheat. I play the game for more than “winning”, so there is no need to cheat (there is actually NEVER a “need” to cheat, but that is another thread topic.. ).

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

Originally posted by Jonesie
    Otherwise, I like the running with the hand in front of the goggles, sliding off hits (not really illegal) - I'll explain if someone needs me to...
    I can see why running with your hand in front of your face might be considered legally illegal, but I don't see how sliding off a hit could be anything but illegal. I can understand if you're about to do a slide get hit, it's too late to stop so you never do actually know if it broke or not. I don't see how getting hit and then purposefully sliding to remove it is not illegal, same thing as if you wiped the hit.

EDIT: I'm not saying I condone ony of these, just that I fond some of them humorous. I don't use Rain-Ex, TurtleWax or Pam personally. However, if I'm hit on the break, I'm not going to stop mid-run for a paintcheck. If I slide into my bunker and find no paint, I don't consider that cheating.
    Actually, I believe the rules allow you to get to your bunker before calling for a paintcheck. Now if you know it hit and are sliding to hope it's wiped away, then you're cheating (or attempting to). If what I said above about not really knowing if it broke or not as you're sliding, then I agree.

Legal - Trigger "bounce". It's too gray of a term to enforce anyway.

Illegal - Overshooting. 1 for 1s suck, especially when you caught the guy off-guard/from behind. You need to let them know they've been eliminated.
    Shoot it like you stole it!
    [IMG]Sig image must be under 20kb[/IMG]

I use pam on my pants(raven havok), but its so I can slide farther not so I can wipe.

My favorite illegal is trying to wipe a gogle shot by smearing your mask in the bunker, I have never done it, but I imagine it would severly impead your vision.

"Legal"
    I've always like the Turtle Wax on the gun, hopper, etc. Pam spray on the clothing - jersey, pants, etc. Rain-Ex on the Mask. All with the intention of making it easier to wipe... Pam is illegal in ANY organized football, why not specifically mention it in the Paintball Rule Books?

Later ~ Dave
    Rain-X does have legitimate uses, specifically as an anti-fog solution. I play with glasses under my goggles and I sweat tons so on certain days no amount of fan will stop fogging. Thus I use Rain-X on the glasses. However, I have never heard of anyone using it (or Pam/Turtle Wax) to make wiping easier.

Ogre
    Seeg images? Vee don' need no steenkin' seeg images?!?

I am most amused/amazed by the cheats that take time to prepare in advance. The hidden extra padding, and Rain-Ex, for example.

I recall a long time ago (10 yrs) reading about a player in a big woodsball tourney who had hidden a change of camo on the field!

A tourney-playing friend shared a few old-school technical cheats with us a couple of years back, too. Drilling a second hole in your Autococker bolt, so you can chrony with one hole, then flip the bolt to play with the larger hole to get more velocity/range. And modifying the Z-lock on the Automag rail so you can push the AIR in to get an extra 10-15fps.

It's good to know this stuff for when you are reffing.

Personally, my favourite pball shirt is the Hawaiian beauty I am wearing in this pic:

- It is just about impossible to spot paint in that mass of colour, so I tend to call myself out on bouncers, just to be sure.

Jeff P
    Secretary
    The Canadian Contingent Paintball Club
    Cousins - EMR - PaintStorm - Odyssey - StraightShot

The old Scotch Guard on the clothing trick (akin to the rain x waterproofing thing) Scotch Guard was the stuff though...a hit would run off you like water on a ducks back.

The Double Hopper covers trick is always amusing...take one hopper cover turn it inside out (so the seams are facing out acting like a frame) then put another cover onto it normaly....you have a nice little bounce cushion for your ever exposed loader.

Cutting a small thumb hole into the front of your jersey so when You make a run you pull the jersy out with your finger and make a bounce tent ( the new Evil Jerseys do this as well with the "hand pocket" they have)This worked better when you cut the seams on the sides of the jersey to allow more movement of the material.

Cocker bolt trick (tapping the extra hole in it ) Works on all removable bolt markers Bushys, Defiants , Timmys , Spuders...etc. Ok ..well all bolts that are easy to remove on the field.
    " Remember what the door mouse said..."

activities i see all the time are the running with the glove up, sliding to remove a hit, and the one that really pisses me of is when the hopper, gun, arm is hit get really close to the bunker so not to wipe it off, but add more paint and it looks like you weren't hit at all.

Overshooting is bad. Its funny to watch team players do it to eachother and laugh at eachother, but when some kid with an intimidator lights up a rental that is bad, or bunkering kids...what is the point?

running with the glove up,

Could someone please explain this?

In theory its supposed to make the ball bounce off the hand /glove rather than the mask.
    Ive seen this happen a few times but...most of the time is breaks on your hand anyway.

Here is what I think it means. You ever see guys running off the break, and while running they have their hand up in front of their face? They do that so that their hand takes the hit, and they can just wipe it by sliding into their bunker with their palms on the ground.

A site for gay and alternative lifestyles: www.zakvetter.com

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    Ive seen this happen a few times but...most of the time is breaks on your hand anyway.
    But then you grab your gun with your hand and the hit "disappears".

Didn't someone publish a list of the cheats for markers?

Many of the cheats for hiding/wipings hits (and the cause of much overshooting) is the inability of refs to call someone out without a 25 cent paint mark.

A rule change and adequately trained refs could make it possible to call people out for bounces and during bunkering moves. Calling people out at such times would then make enforcement of overshooting rules more palatable.

its easier to take a bounce off a padded, gloved hand then it is a on a hard mask...

i personally remove any hard plastic logos on my pants and gloves (paintballs seem to be attracted to the hard spots)

what about the bandana around the next to "pad" the collar bones while still being stylish

peace from NOR-CAL

Talking

Sometimes I can Get Away with using my RT at the field...

Then the refs get pissed that I pull out the "Im gonna rape your electro tactics" when they let timmies with a debounce of 1ms play on
    Did you hear about the new european weapons contracts? France is going to make the wooden sticks Spain making the little white flags

Well, this isn't to mention stuff that companies manufactured in the past. I remember he "Soft" revvy shells. I mna you could SQUISH them in your hand. You'd get a bounce, but it'd wreck all the paint in the hopper.

I'm also convinced that the reason that they're making clothing the colors they are and out of the fabrics they do is to encourage wiping on slides. Like I said before, wiping is so passe, but a creative slide/wipe is at least impressive.

-Tyger

some legal moves (for recball)
    turn your marker upside down and dry fire ...in hopes someone will try to rush you ..only to get shot on the rush

wave your swab/squegee in the air abouve the bunker ...in hopes the person will rush...shoot them out on the rush

hole your hands up in the air like your out but dont call yourself out or dont put your plug on condom on and when you get close to a guy shoot him out

debounce is a big one.

playing until the ref notices the hit.

yelling at ref to paint check other player when you conciously know that you didn't hit them to get some sort of advantage

Originally posted by ramenjames

hole your hands up in the air like your out but dont call yourself out or dont put your plug on condom on and when you get close to a guy shoot him out
    That is infact illegal.

And the best has to be running hard into a sup-air bunker with a person on the otherside.
    Love Will Tear Us Apart

Hehe, looks like you keep hours like I do Tyger, I play in a band so I am up LATE alot.

Ya oughta import that list that TF posted on the PPIG forums over here. I was astounded.

^^ done the "bunker bump" numerous times

*NOTE* I DO NOT CONDONE ANY OF THIS STUFF THAT I'M POSTING, I KNOW IT CUZ I'VE SEEN IT ALL AND BEEN TAUGHT IT ALL***

When you freight train players to sacrifice a guy to get another way up field. Another good one is distracting the refs with retarded calls that get them to the other side of the field so u can get a few more seconds or shots off before you leave.

Gogging refs so they can't see you get lit on a run is nice, so is arguing that you 1 for 1'd if you mess up a run. Wearing 2 sets of elbow/forearm pads is nice, as is taking a hit to the gogs and rubbing the bunker to smear it and make it look like rub.

Putting pods under bunkers pre game is a goodie, and so is the superman slide. Coordinating a ref distraction with an eliminated teammate is a fun one too, it lets you get someone some time to do something shady.

Wearing big jerseys is nice to promote bounces, its even better when the hits get hidden in the folds and you can wipe it without being seen as easily.

I got more but I gotta write a lab,
    Peace Out

I've seen my share of people moving behind a ref as they're going for a paint check or to pull a player. Kinda turns them into a moving bunker. This also seems to work when players yell for a ref to check a specific player. As soon as the ref gets to the player others will move on him in hopes the ref will block the view of their movements. As long as the player isn't neutral, it's legal... but darn dirty pool!

I did that once at pbshooters Andy and a ref yelled at me

Whenever I ran I put my arm infront of my mask, just because my jersey is padded and it will most likely bounce off it, and if it doesnt nothing a superman slide can't fix

My other trick is if I get a side hopper hit, keep playing but rub my hopper into the part of the bunker with lots of paint so it looks like the paint just came from the bunker.

My one fault that I always do and I'm going to get called for wiping one day is I always get paint on the front of my barrel from moving bunkers and I don't want the paint dripping into the my barrel so I wipe it all off, it looks exactly like I'm wiping a hit.

www.TeamNever.com

Originally posted by FallNAngel

I can see why running with your hand in front of your face might be considered legally illegal, but I don't see how sliding off a hit could be anything but illegal. I can understand if you're about to do a slide get hit, it's too late to stop so you never do actually know if it broke or not. I don't see how getting hit and then purposefully sliding to remove it is not illegal, same thing as if you wiped the hit.
    OK, allow me to clarify. I play front, so 99% of the games I play, I have to slide into my bunker. On top of that, over 90% of the time I take paint on the break, they bounce.

I don't slide to wipe a hit, I slide to make the bunker. If I were to get gogged, I wouldn't even bother sliding, I'd just keep running to the dead-box.

I don't cheat, it's not worth it. I don't want to be seen as that kind of player, period. If you ask anyone that I have played with or against, you'd hear'em all say that I'm a straight-up kind of player.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself
    Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon

Personally, my favourite pball shirt is the Hawaiian beauty I am wearing in this pic:

- It is just about impossible to spot paint in that mass of colour, so I tend to call myself out on bouncers, just to be sure.
    Me and several of my teammates also wear Hawaiian shirts to woodsball scenarios.
    It REALLY throws people off when we walk right up on them in a shirt that SCREAMS for attention, and they never saw us.
    Any 24hour game we go to , the second day is always Hawaiian shirt day.We have never lost a day when wearing them.

Personally.. i try to never cheat. I try to keep the game as honest as possible.. because really, honesty is what the game is run on. Now if I dont feel it , such as on pack, theres nothing I can do about it.. and i hate it when people start yelling at me because "you can feel a pack hit!"

Now If i KNOW someone wiped.. and turns out they hit me.. i may wipe it if I feel the need they need a little lesson.. such as a bunkering with a few bonus balls

AGD: Our products are like a woman, most are good enough for one night, only one is good enough for a lifetime.
    AGD