Thread: Project MinION Thusfar

Project MinION Thusfar

Ok Im annoucing a project called MinION an electro pneumatic Mag using an Ion trigger frame. What I have done is ordered an Ion what intend to do:

Stage one: Working prototype with no regards to exacting measurments just a proof of concept/ something to base improvements ideal locations etc.

Stage Two: Production quality Piece

I don't have any pics but basicly I bought my own Sieg X2 Mill (Harbor Freight Branded) which is available from Harbor Freight, Grizzley, etc.

8 Pints of beer later: I have learned quite a few things about milling that clamping a piece down and taking your hand on the piece and pushing and pulling with all your force does not mean it is properly secured. Axis locks especially the Z are importantant. Milling is fun and messy as all hell. I learned now that Latex gloves, an apron, and a shop vac are a must.

The bad news: I ended up ruining a Slug rail

But the good news is I know for sure an AGD rail (as long as it isn't heavily modified) can fit in top of the ION trigger frame if properly milled. The triggerframe in the ION is deeply recessed to have room for hoses etc routed to the valve. All that is needed is some milling. My plan was to mill the rail and the frame milled down to about the same size so the rail does not fit and heat the Ion frame so the rail can drop in and be almost permanant plus a little weld beads for extra security

The great part about an Ion is the availability of parts OEM and Aftermarket, Small Noid, all the hoses and a small board. Also it comes stock with a regulator that is meant to handle high input pressure and bring it down to very low pressure. All you need is some AGD parts I'm gonna say an E\X-Mag sear should be used with a aftermarket AC Ram and set up for a pull type operation, I thought of using a push type configuration but it takes up too much space.
    Gun: AGD eMag with LvL10
    Cars: 1991 Lexus LS400. 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-4, Auto, 1 of 816. 1970 Dodge Challenger 318 S/E, soon to be a 440-6 with a 5 speed, and painted Sublime green

Isn't this the same this as scott hundalls I-mag?

Quote Originally Posted by wjr
    Isn't this the same this as scott hundalls I-mag?
    Dunno what that is. But probably.

Just scroll down in the workshop forum. You'll see it.

hundall i believe is just using the ion board and modifying an automag frame, where as this guy so it seems is using the whole ion trigger frame if i understand correctly, i could be wrong...

Yes I'm using the Ion trigger frame, I'm placing an order for another rail and an E\X-Mag Sear. I hope I don't ruin another rail.

I assume that you're using the ion board to acutate a pneumatic ram that will trip the automags sear. If you are, I think that you have to modify the ions solenoid

Quote Originally Posted by wjr
    I assume that you're using the ion board to acutate a pneumatic ram that will trip the automags sear. If you are, I think that you have to modify the ions solenoid

before you spend way way way too much $$, you should review the posts by Nicad and myself on the IONized Mag thread. the "iMag" is still alive, just still sleeping on the project bench at the moment. I do have a new rail and sear on it's way, will be getting it cranked up soon.

Best of luck with the machining of the slug. Be safe.

The bad news: I ended up ruining a Slug rail
    One mans "junk" is anothers treasure, I may be interested in purchasing it. Any picts?

You should always lock any axis that is not in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    You should always lock any axis that is not in motion.
    You always learn this lesson the hard way, just like forgetting the chuck key in the lathe

Quote Originally Posted by RapidTransit
    8 Pints of beer later: I have learned quite a few things about milling that clamping a piece down and taking your hand on the piece and pushing and pulling with all your force does not mean it is properly secured. Axis locks especially the Z are importantant. Milling is fun and messy as all hell. I learned now that Latex gloves, an apron, and a shop vac are a must.
    It startles me that nobody already told you alcohol and operating machinery don't mix very well... Milling can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing...

First off some things you should know from a professional (yeah, i CNC mill for a living)

- NEVER wear gloves, not even the latex ones. If they are caught by the mill you lose more than some blood.
    - NEVER wear rings, for the same reason
    - Always wear safety glasses, mills can shatter and you have only one pair of eyes. There is a reason why they print this on mill casings...
    - If you have long hair like i have, make sure it's out of harms way.
    - Always clamp your workpiece securely. If you can't, make a jig or something to hold it securely instead of clamping it half assed and trying it anyway. Also a stable workpiece will alllow you to increase feeds when roughing.
    - Heavy milling can produce alot of noise on unstable machines - wear earprotection in such cases and please lock all axis that are not in use!
    - Use proper ventilation when grinding carbide mills. They contain cobalt and other stuff that is hazardous to your health.
    - Use coolant when milling metals, it increases tool life. (even with bronze or brass)
    - Tapping steel should be done with cutting grease, not with coolant. Softer metals can be done with oil or coolant.
    - Reaming - the best result you get with cutting oil

Maybe i forgot some things to mention, but there are lots of people here on AO that can fill in the missing bits.

Good luck with making your ionized mag, look forward to see it soon!

good advice^

any updates?

Yeah, I want to know how well the trigger frame aligned. Since logic stopped the UMF, and I want more than 1 ( ), the Ion 86* after market frames are looking mighty appealing...
    Autocockers are the greatest markers ever made.
    ~The greatest BACKUP markers to AUTOMAGS!!

Only temporary, get'n a new sig soon.

C'mon! Update!!! I want to know how this is comming along!

Update?

Jesus, Lenny. The last time he was on this forum was three months ago.

Yeah, so? Three months is plenty of time for an update. I really really really want to know what type of modding needs to be done to the Ion frames.

Quote Originally Posted by FiXeL
    It startles me that nobody already told you alcohol and operating machinery don't mix very well... Milling can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing...

First off some things you should know from a professional (yeah, i CNC mill for a living)

- NEVER wear gloves, not even the latex ones. If they are caught by the mill you lose more than some blood.
    - NEVER wear rings, for the same reason
    - Always wear safety glasses, mills can shatter and you have only one pair of eyes. There is a reason why they print this on mill casings...
    - If you have long hair like i have, make sure it's out of harms way.
    - Always clamp your workpiece securely. If you can't, make a jig or something to hold it securely instead of clamping it half assed and trying it anyway. Also a stable workpiece will alllow you to increase feeds when roughing.
    - Heavy milling can produce alot of noise on unstable machines - wear earprotection in such cases and please lock all axis that are not in use!
    - Use proper ventilation when grinding carbide mills. They contain cobalt and other stuff that is hazardous to your health.
    - Use coolant when milling metals, it increases tool life. (even with bronze or brass)
    - Tapping steel should be done with cutting grease, not with coolant. Softer metals can be done with oil or coolant.
    - Reaming - the best result you get with cutting oil

Maybe i forgot some things to mention, but there are lots of people here on AO that can fill in the missing bits.

Good luck with making your ionized mag, look forward to see it soon!
    and dont wear long sleeves either thats kind of the long hair and glove thing itll get cought ant that equals

Yeah, I'm with Lenny. 3 months is 90 days. That's a lot of time for progress or failure. It's not like he's building a rocket.